1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/22 2:39 p.m.

Rumor here is Amazon sent all their drivers home. We're still out in the field. Next customer wants me to work the pole. They better be making it rain.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/28/22 2:45 p.m.
Stampie said:

Rumor here is Amazon sent all their drivers home. We're still out in the field. Next customer wants me to work the pole. They better be making it rain.

PHRASING...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/28/22 2:50 p.m.
z31maniac said:
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

I take a video of walking around the house outside before hurricanes. Get a fresh "before" shot of everything. 

Weve been getting rain and wind since last night. Nothing severe yet. Thats supposed to start in a few hours. I think i may board up a few windows in the next little bit here. 

I just want to point out this is a great idea to do for your HO policy EVERY YEAR whether you live in a storm prone area or not. 

The inside of your home as well. Forgot to add that. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/28/22 3:10 p.m.

I ended up boarding up. Also made a tiny crack into a berkin huge crack whilst trying to protect said window. Had fine luck with the others, doing it solo in the rain. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/28/22 3:12 p.m.

Also my wife has a nail appt at 4:30. Im gonna guess thats gonna get cancelled but we'll see. Shes determined to go. 

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
9/28/22 3:33 p.m.

Pretty good live stream of the storm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2aticerEcs

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/28/22 3:44 p.m.

I've been waiting for this damned water oak to take out a fence for about 5 years now.

Maybe now they will listen to me when I tell them the trees are half dead.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/28/22 3:44 p.m.

Is this giant tail of death typical?

It looks like it's wind leaving the hurricane, and I don't understand why a giant low pressure system is pushing that much air out.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/22 3:45 p.m.
Stampie said:

It should definitely be a red flag if your employer appears to give less (or equal) berkeleys about worker safety than Amazon.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
9/28/22 4:08 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/28/22 4:12 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

That's just a normal summer afternoon here. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/28/22 4:12 p.m.
tuna55 said:

It looks like it's wind leaving the hurricane, and I don't understand why a giant low pressure system is pushing that much air out.

That is all INFLOW.

This image is windspeed based color-scale.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
9/28/22 4:15 p.m.
tuna55 said:

That is just a front that would normally be rain. There is a high pressure area behind it that pushed Ian the way it is going. Then there is the Bermuda high that sits there this time of year that is squeezing it up the coast.

Here is a good shot of the pressures over the Gulf.

Stampie
9/28/22 4:23 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

As much as I give management a hard time about safety they don't push back on us when we say no for safety issues. It's also the nature of the job that we're going to be out in the field in conditions like this. It's just a game of give and take with management. We bitch today so that they'll not think about sending us out tomorrow when it's worse. 

For example that last job, it wasn't safe for me to work the pole but was still good for a bucket truck. Sup didn't push back one bit.  Got one over and made three customers happy that they didn't have to wait until next week to get up and running. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/22 4:42 p.m.

South Carolina sister called and said both Ft Myers sisters decided to stay in Florida because reasons. Now Ft Myers sisters $550k is missing large chunks of roof and 4 plus doggone are chilling in the spare bathroom.  

Imma whoop day assets when I get the chance.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
9/28/22 5:12 p.m.

I just heard from a Canadian friend that a woman staying in their condo in Treasure Island paid $625 for an Uber to evacuate to Orlando a couple days ago. It looks like she paid that money to chase the storm now.

Stampie
9/28/22 6:19 p.m.

Came home to our first Ian damage. I think Lil Stampie is going to be more mad that he lost some stickers that was on it. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/28/22 6:23 p.m.

Damn, that's bad luck. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/28/22 6:24 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

We can rebuild it.  We have the technology. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/28/22 6:27 p.m.

FiL is in Punta Gorda and did not evacuate. Padded his internal small bathroom with all of his mattresses and has all the blankets in his tub where he is hanging out.

He went outside when the eye went over to assess the damage. Tree branch fell on his house and he thinks there is a leak now. Power has been out for about 2 hours or so.

He's 82, and is checking in with my MiL every two hours. MiL is up in Maine (divorced but still friends).

My wife put his info on a .gov website specifically made for that sort of info so when emergency services can get back out they can check on him.

Stubborn old berkeley.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/28/22 6:27 p.m.

I wonder how DrBoost is doing. He is right on the path and I dont think I've seen him posting lately. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/28/22 6:56 p.m.

I'm getting texts from the state telling us to batten down the hatches for this one. 

I live all the way up in Maryland. 

Stay safe down there guys.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/28/22 7:01 p.m.

I heard they were getting hurricane warnings in Georgia!

No way that thing is even close to a hurricane when it gets to Georgia.  It's supposed to be down to tropical storm by the time it gets to Orlando.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/22 7:04 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

They are saying 70 mph winds in SC when it comes ashore. If the cold front that just came through pulls it apart we may not get that. If the Atlantic waters are warm enough it may gain some strength back and be worse. I don't think anyone knows at this point. 

Stampie
9/28/22 7:04 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

The unknown is what happens when it goes out into the Atlantic.  If anything I'd say Cat 1 when it hits the east coast.

Edit - What Toyman said much better.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8pRVONABLkJSxVNUiQMPh8hRKLtSV1GcQiiExhkza9HmrjrPe0LcOJDa9OyKgIuY