petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/13/10 6:45 p.m.

I've googled & didn't find anything...

You guys have made me an Ubuntu convert, I've been running it on a crappy Dell for several weeks, and the install was painless.

I decided to load it on a home PC that has a corrupt/illegal copy of XP Pro, and completely get rid of XP.

When I get to the Ubuntu screen to select a partition, there is nothing there to choose from & I can't go any further.

How do I get past this?

rmarkc
rmarkc Reader
5/13/10 7:08 p.m.

Is it a SATA hard drive? Maybe check BIOS and see if it has an IDE mode for the SATA controller.
But I have an all SATA setup and didn't have that problem installing Ultimate Ubuntu 2.3, 2.4 or 2.5.

petegossett
5/13/10 7:20 p.m.

Yes, it's SATA formatted with NTFS.

petegossett
5/13/10 7:54 p.m.

Ok, this is odd...

From the Ubuntu installer I did ctrl/alt/f1 to get to the command line & ran "sudo lshw -C disk" but it didn't find the HDD, just the DVD drive???

That's odd since XP is still booting.

petegossett
5/13/10 8:03 p.m.

Hmm...this may have something to do with it - just checked bios & see the HDD is listed as "third IDE master".

Not sure what's up with that?

rmarkc
rmarkc Reader
5/13/10 8:29 p.m.

That is odd. Maybe open the PC and move the HD connector to another SATA port on the motherboard.
If you only have the one HD and a DVD, I would put the HD on SATA port 0 and the DVD on port 1.

If you are using a live CD for the install, you should be able to open System->Administration->Partition Manager to see if the drive is present instead of going all the way through the install.

petegossett
5/13/10 8:41 p.m.

Thanks!

I opened the terminal from the live CD & tried "sudo apt-get -y remove dmraid" which was one suggestion I found online, but when I open up GParted it still doesn't see the HDD. Oh yeah, I did try moving the SATA cable around too.

rmarkc
rmarkc Reader
5/13/10 8:59 p.m.

Does the MB support RAID? Have you tried disabling it in BIOS?

I've installed Ubuntu on a wide mix of hardware and never had a problem with it not seeing a hard drive.

If you have the time (and bandwidth), download Ultimate Ubuntu and give it a try. It is a heavy distro and you will need to burn it to a DVDR.

Another approach would be to make an install on USB, disconnect the DVD drive and boot from the USB.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/14/10 10:05 a.m.

Wow, never seen that before. What do you get if you run sudo fdisk -l from the boot CD?

petegossett
5/14/10 11:05 a.m.

Nothing, it doesn't see any drives.

I didn't find any settings in bios for raid. I built this PC about 5-years ago, but I'm not sure if I still have the documentation for the MB around.

I did find some online links referencing similar problems with WD hard-drives(which I have), so I'm going to grab a small/old IDE drive & cable and see if it will recognize it.

What's weird is when I move the SATA cable to each of the 4-ports in bios it only shows up as 3rd-master, 3rd-slave, 4th-master or 4th-slave. I'm not sure how to change it to 1st-master, I'm guessing jumpers, but I'll need to either find the manual or google it & see if anything comes up.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/14/10 1:45 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Nothing, it doesn't see any drives. I didn't find any settings in bios for raid. I built this PC about 5-years ago, but I'm not sure if I still have the documentation for the MB around. I did find some online links referencing similar problems with WD hard-drives(which I have), so I'm going to grab a small/old IDE drive & cable and see if it will recognize it. What's weird is when I move the SATA cable to each of the 4-ports in bios it only shows up as 3rd-master, 3rd-slave, 4th-master or 4th-slave. I'm not sure how to change it to 1st-master, I'm guessing jumpers, but I'll need to either find the manual or google it & see if anything comes up.

Yeah check your BIOS manual, there was a trick to it with some older mobos but I'm not remembering it now.

If you see nothing at all from fdisk, it's not a software / filesystem level problem. I wonder how you got it installed in the first place actually

Edit: Do I understand correctly that you installed it and now can't boot to Ubuntu, or are you saying you've never been able to choose a partition in the installation wizard?

rmarkc
rmarkc Reader
5/14/10 6:24 p.m.

Most MB manufacturers have PDFs of the MB manuals available on their website if you can find the manf. and model #.

The manual will tell you what the chipsets are, and once you find that, finding a solution should be much easier.

Does the MB have 2 IDE connectors? That could explain the 3rd and 4th master and slave stuff, 1st and 2nd are reserved for IDE.
Is the DVD IDE? With the master/slave wierdness, having a DVD drive on an IDE connector could be masking the SATA HD. If you have access to a USB DVD, you could try disconnecting the internal and boot from USB. That might make the HD visible to linux.

petegossett
5/14/10 10:25 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

I've never been able to install Ubuntu, just running it off the disk. It never finds any partitions.

petegossett
5/15/10 2:02 p.m.

Small update/success - I dug up an old 8.4gig HDD and IDE cable and bios recognized it as primary master, and still saw the SATA drive too.

So I tried installing Ubuntu again, it found the 8.4gig drive fine & I'm doing the install now. It still didn't see the SATA drive, so I doubt it will find it after the install is done, but at least it's up & running!

Thanks for all the suggesions & help!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TackMuHukFxsnBjeToP5p2Zq6KiC8HcH1Q1IGCEVZsSwah7OgmzW5tQqOI3AEEZd