1 2
JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
9/25/12 4:16 p.m.

I'd really like to get to the Evergreen museum in Oregon, to see the Spruce Goose.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
9/25/12 5:53 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: I'd really like to get to the Evergreen museum in Oregon, to see the Spruce Goose.

It is freaking cool. It sucks they won't let people inside anymore, at least they weren't as of my last visit. I got to go in early on when it was first there. Funny thing is there is an SR71 tucked under the wing making the big black jet look tiny by comparison.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/12 6:01 p.m.

In reply to rebelgtp:

Last time I was there was ~2 years ago, but you could go into the fuselage for free. It was extra $$ to go to the cockpit and take pictures. We'll be in there in December when they induct Mrs. Javelin's Grandpa to the Oregon Air & Space Hall of Fame.

jde
jde Reader
9/25/12 7:02 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to rebelgtp: Last time I was there was ~2 years ago, but you could go into the fuselage for free. It was extra $$ to go to the cockpit and take pictures. We'll be in there in December when they induct Mrs. Javelin's Grandpa to the Oregon Air & Space Hall of Fame.

I was there a year ago May, and I think it was the same way. Way cool on the second bit.

Hal
Hal Dork
9/26/12 3:58 p.m.

This will give you a clue as to the last time I was there. My friend who worked in the aviation journalism field went absolutely berserk when he saw it. Tried his damedest to get the security guard to let him peek under the cover.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
9/26/12 4:20 p.m.

I was told once that the only reason Garber (Silver Hill) was open to the public was that Udvar-Hazy hadn't been planned/completed yet. I'm glad I got to see it, though..watching the folks actually doing the restoration work was pretty neat.

And I'm reposting the Dornier 335 just because it's so stinking cool. I still remember seeing Monogram's 1/48 kit in the store and wondering if it was a real airplane.

EDIT: If you make the trip to the NAM in Pensacola, take the side-trip to Eglin (Ft. Walton Beach area) and see the Air Armament Museum. The planes aren't as spectacular as elsewhere, but the bomb, gun, and missile exhibits are kind of unique.

http://www.afarmamentmuseum.com/exhibits.shtml

Oh, and an SR-71 parked on the lawn. They let you touch it!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/12 4:39 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote: When in southern AZ, hit Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson. Acres of mothballed jets, plus parked in the yard: An SR-71, a B-47, a B-36 (!!!!), a B-58 (!!!!!!!), and an X-15 in the pavillion. Plus a whole lot more. Definitely worth it.

The X15 in AZ is a replica of the real one that's on display in Dayton. There are only two X15s left, the third made a hole. However, they do have the launch B-52 which is pretty cool in its own right. It was the longest serving (it was one of the first off the line) but with the lowest flight time.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
9/26/12 6:11 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

It has been several years since I have been there and the last time I was there, maybe 4 or 5 years ago I think, they weren't even doing any inside views. Cool that they brought it back so you could.

I really need to get back down there. Have ya'll gone to the one in Tillamook as well?

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
9/26/12 6:48 p.m.
aircooled wrote: I'll go: Planes of Fame Museum in Chino CA ( http://planesoffame.org/ ) Kind of like the other museums except they can roll most of the planes off the display floor and fly them around (which they do regularly). Very impressively diverse collection. Currently restoring a P-59 to flying condition.

The next "Fly Day" is Oct 6th. The F-86 will turn kerosene into smoke noise and thrust for all to enjoy

My Mom & Dad are Docents there....they usually hang out near the B-17

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c3MufEvG8aqrULVNYzLT0baXhnZf84tuQpgXUSYkFkfVh4RoH03UhxccSk6UkQSF