1 2 3 4
DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
2/10/12 1:04 p.m.

My cube mate is driving me bat-E36M3-crazy!
He eats in his cube. Fine, I do as well sometimes. But he eats loud. The only sound that affects me more is the sound of hot vomit hitting the floor! Good lord man. Close your freaking mouth when you chew!!
The other thing is, he's the most inept person I've ever worked with. He's been here longer than me, been doing this job longer than me, yet he askes me DOZENS of questions a day. Many of the questions are not job-specific either. I had to show him.......TWICE....how to save a picture that was attached to an e-mail. How the heck do you work in an office environment for years and not know how to move files from one folder to another? Let me tell you what I saw him doing (besides pocket-pool, that's a daily occurance). He had a folder, maybe 60 word doc files that he needed to move form one folder to another. What would you do? I would select one of them, hit control+A to select them all, then either cut/paste or drag them to the destination folder. He was.....wait for it......it's worth the wait.......really......opening each word file, making NO changes and doing a Save As.... to the new folder. And to open each file he was opening word, then file>open> as opposed to just double-clicking on the file.
This is a job that requires automotive technical knowledge. I've been in the field for 20 years, he knows nothing about cars, at all!!
Wanna know how he got the job? He has a degree in ISD (insctuctional System Design). I have a degree in "I have worked on cars my whole life and have a head on my shoulders". I bet he makes more than me too.

OK, I'm done.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/10/12 1:07 p.m.

I share your misery. My "cube-mate" (that isn't Brad) whistles ALL DAY. What makes it worse is there is no music here and no music is allowed to be listened to. So, we have to listen to him whistle all day.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/12 1:07 p.m.

ugh.... there is probably a reason he is still in the cube with you and not gotten a promotion out

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
2/10/12 1:24 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: I share your misery. My "cube-mate" (that isn't Brad) whistles ALL DAY. What makes it worse is there is no music here and no music is allowed to be listened to. So, we have to listen to him whistle all day.

At my old job he would have been publicly humiliated into compliance.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
2/10/12 1:32 p.m.

It could be worse. I work in a room without cubes. We have 17 engineers in here. It is LOUD, everyone has their habits that will get on your nerves, and you hear 1-5 simultaneous conversations.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/10/12 1:55 p.m.

I get to sleep with my cube-mate!!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/12 1:56 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

This is exactly what kills me about how people are hired / fired these days. No one seems to care about practical knowledge and experience, just your degree.

It's like comparing a really smart mutt who knows lots of tricks to a pure breed with a pedigree. No one will care that the pedigree dog pees on itself and chews up the couch, it's got "papers" and is therefore better.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/10/12 1:58 p.m.
cwh wrote: I get to sleep with my cube-mate!!

Nice! Is it a medium security facility so you get to go out on a chain gang for a change of scenery?

PHeller
PHeller Dork
2/10/12 2:04 p.m.

Our office has cubes, but its like a recording studio. You can hear a whisper at the end of the office. My boss will have conversations about stuff I'm working on and I try so incredibly hard not chime in. Though most of the time he knows I can hear him and just say "Hey Heller did you hear that phone call, it's coming your way!"

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
2/10/12 2:07 p.m.

I currently share a small office (12'x12', maybe a bit larger) with my coworker. He's awesome, we yell and swear at each other all the time!

Only cube I ever worked in was huge, probably close to 20'x17' with two other people. Our backs faced each other, one was a hot chick who was hilarious, the other was this crazy smart dude who was incredibly helpful.

Oh, that doesn't make you feel better? Sorry

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/10/12 2:09 p.m.

No girls here. Its been a while since I had a job with hot girls as co-workers...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/10/12 2:20 p.m.

I taught myself Excel several years ago - almost zero formal training to my name. Pretty much the entire company I work for comes to me when they have ANY excel question. Add to that we all just upgraded to Windows 7 and MS Suite 2010 ( I know I know...Microsoft...booo hisssss). I never used it before we upgraded, and somehow I am the ONLY FREAKING ONE HERE who can figure out anything...Im just an analyst, why am I teaching the VP of this and the executive of that, the IT/Office mgr, and the accountants how to use their systems? AARRGGHHH

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
2/10/12 2:20 p.m.

Here's an update. This morning I asked him if he received an invitation (e-mail) to a meeting coming up on the 28th. He said no. I was surprised and said he should check with so-and-so to get invited. A while later I checked with him and he's totally confused "what meeting, when is it? I didn't get an invitation, why?" I spelled out, thrice already what the meeting was, when it is, and that if he didn't get an invite, he wasn't on the list, hence he should call to be added.
So, I forewarded the invitation to him. Then he says "I don't have it? Why don't I have it? Can you send it to me again?" So I do, again. Then a while later he says "Oh, I did get the original invitation. It's on my calendar!! How is it on my calendar? Did I accept it?" I said, "If it's on your calendar, you must have accepted it or it wouldn't be on your calendar." He said "could someone have accepted it for me, on another computer somewhere else?"
I don't hold this guy's hand, I try to make him fend for himself but I'm not a prick. I can't just say "figure it out idiot".

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/10/12 2:28 p.m.

Before we moved offices the guy in the cube next to me....nice enough guy, really tries hard but has a severe case of adult ADD and would just prattle on about nothing. No car knowledge but loved to talk cars with me and get my advice. And he was one of those types that would just talk over the wall so he didn't bother to see if I was on the phone or anything first.

I always felt bad for the people in surrounding cubicles because I am working on a project with people in remote locations so I have to spend a lot of time on conference calls and I hated to be "that guy" doing all the talking in his cube in an otherwise quiet environment. I'd usually try to find an empty conference room to take the calls.

Finally when they moved us to a new building there were actually extra offices so my boss wrangled me one because he felt I needed the privacy for all the calls.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
2/10/12 2:34 p.m.

He just farted.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
2/10/12 2:39 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: No girls here. Its been a while since I had a job with hot girls as co-workers...

sorry....my workplace is 98% female. Most 20-26 years old and wear scrubs.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
2/10/12 2:42 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy:

Got any pictures? Chicks in scrubs are really hot.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/10/12 2:50 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to Grtechguy: Got any pictures? Chicks in scrubs are really hot.

Tru dat

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
2/10/12 2:50 p.m.

My cube mate is a 16 lb cat. He's pretty quiet, but his breath reeks after lunch.

Thanks guys - I was having a crappy day and this reminded me that my job doesn't completely suck.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
2/10/12 2:53 p.m.

My snot sucking, gum smacking fellow cube dweller isn't here. Actually he is one of my employees. I should probably fire him for general incompetence in addition to annoying me, but he is 60 year old fool that would be living on the streets after a couple of months without a paycheck.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
2/10/12 3:08 p.m.

I once worked in a large room with my area "cubed-off" from the rest of the room...didn't really do any good. The women in the rest of the room drove me buggers with the same topics of conversation day in and day out. "What did you have for dinner?" would start the morning, then about 10 in the morning the topic switched to "what did you bring for lunch?" and after lunch? Why, of course, "what are you fixing for dinner?" When they ran late and ate in the same room as work...even tho we had a lunchroom, the sound of 6 women smacking their lips was too much.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
2/10/12 3:11 p.m.

our general manager wants to get this guy..................Terry Tate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
2/10/12 3:15 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: In reply to DrBoost: This is exactly what kills me about how people are hired / fired these days. No one seems to care about practical knowledge and experience, just your degree. It's like comparing a really smart mutt who knows lots of tricks to a pure breed with a pedigree. No one will care that the pedigree dog pees on itself and chews up the couch, it's got "papers" and is therefore better.

I think now-a-days bosses are afraid to fire people thanks to shiny happy people and lawsuits.

My predecessor at my current job was absolutely terrible at her job (based on the manuals I'm trying to fix). The type that complained to HR about other people's schedules (yeah, he leaves 2 hours before you, because he arrived 2 hours earlier than you did), etc etc etc.

Buy my current boss never got rid of her, I have to assume he was afraid to fire her.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
2/10/12 3:18 p.m.

I don't work in a cube farm, and after reading this thread, I'm glad I don't.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
2/10/12 4:23 p.m.

I like having an office with a door.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
STwrBFjrqy4AjYsEiDeEulqSqu7J3kVEITzpx6v9RLxvim2EufWOfnwsAFUHFqnL