1 2 3
ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
8/6/18 1:54 p.m.

I often play a computer game that was inspired/based on D&D.  It will be 25 years old this December.  You may have heard of it. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/6/18 1:54 p.m.

I had a character named Sir.. Duncan Donuts.  He went around giving people fried dough rings as a treat.  Noone like to play with me because I didn't take anything seriously...

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
8/6/18 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

You would likely fit in alright with my group. Every game had at least one incident where everyone is having a hard time breathing from laughing. 

Online play through roll20 and Google Hangouts is a thing and I would be happy to do a test game with 3-5 people sometime 

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
8/6/18 7:17 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

If that happens let me know. I'm there.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
8/6/18 8:02 p.m.

Played a bunch of 2nd Edition as a youth, and picked it back up again around a year ago with a group of work friends. 5th edition this time. No one else wanted to play Thac0...

Currently DMing a 5e updated version of an old Greyhawk campaign, the Assassin’s Knot. It is a lot of fun, but I still prefer MtG..

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
8/6/18 8:09 p.m.

I haven’t played since college, so mid 90s or so.

Started playing in 4th grade- that was before the Saturday morning cartoon was on the air.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/7/18 6:19 a.m.

I barely played in middle school, and it stopped there- but my brother played all throughout high school, with a group of guys he's still friends with today.  When he got married about 8 months ago, he wasn't planning on doing anything for a bachelor party, but I noticed that the old D&D crew were all invited... so we had a D&D bachelor party in his apartment and it was berkeleyING AWESOME!  Groomsmen gifts were lightsabers.  It was the nerdiest thing I've ever done and it was glorious.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
8/7/18 7:02 a.m.
Aaron_King said:

I played for a while in middle school in the early 80's, still  have all of my "stuff" but have not played in a long time.

I had mine for a long time, but pretty sure the flood in '97 wiped it out (with a lot of other stuff like Desert Storm memorabilia and letters from kids at home).  I wouldn't mind having the old books again.  And my old bag of dice.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/7/18 7:36 a.m.
singleslammer said:

I have been playing for like 5 or 6 years. Before kids it was weekly, now it is barely once a month but it is a lot of fun. I am DMing a homebrew campaign at the moment. Feel free to ask what you need. I recommend reddit's DnD subreddits. Lots of good questions and answers there. There is also a DM specific one that I find useful. 

I jumped in and homebrew my own campaign after running a few one shots. It is a ton of fun to create your own content but it is time consuming. I did a lot of it though when I was between jobs.

Another good source of info is Matthew Colville on Youtube. He has some great videos on running the game.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
8/7/18 10:02 a.m.

Played since junior high. Hadn't played for a few years recently and had been itching to get back into it. Finally started up a campaign with some work friends back in the fall. Really nice introductory Dragonlance game. We wrapped that up a couple months ago. If anyone wants the writeups with the broad strokes of that campaign, I'll be happy to send them on.

Tonight, we've get session one for our second campaign. This time, we're doing a modern SciFi Horror/Investigation/Conspiracy campaign (sort of X-Files or Cthulhu-esque) using the old Alternity ruleset - which was a generic SciFi system TSR released back in the late 90's.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
8/7/18 10:09 a.m.

So far, I really like 5th Edition. It's much simpler, more streamlined, and flexible than previous editions. Not perfect, but probably my favorite so far. Like running it as a GM because it's kind of the simplest edition to just wing. Also probably the simplest for new players too.

deannathegeek
deannathegeek New Reader
8/7/18 10:19 a.m.

Every other week I play D&D 5e; my 16 year old son runs the game, and we play with his friend and his friend's step-dad. It usually involves me cooking for everyone, since feeding people makes me happy :)

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
8/7/18 10:28 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
singleslammer said:

I have been playing for like 5 or 6 years. Before kids it was weekly, now it is barely once a month but it is a lot of fun. I am DMing a homebrew campaign at the moment. Feel free to ask what you need. I recommend reddit's DnD subreddits. Lots of good questions and answers there. There is also a DM specific one that I find useful. 

I jumped in and homebrew my own campaign after running a few one shots. It is a ton of fun to create your own content but it is time consuming. I did a lot of it though when I was between jobs.

Another good source of info is Matthew Colville on Youtube. He has some great videos on running the game.

Lots of good channels about running games on Youtube. That is definitely a good one.

Also check out The Lazy Dungeon Master for tips on streamlining DMing to make a game that's better for players and easier on the GM.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/7/18 10:30 a.m.

I have played once. It was with that one toxic group of nerds that dont wash, collect swords, and one of them always ends up in prison for berkeleying a minor. I haven't been back. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/7/18 12:17 p.m.

I don't but my kid brother does.  In fact he does a podcast about it.  I may be biased but I think the podcast is quite good. Link

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/7/18 2:01 p.m.
Jerry said:

Dexterity of 19? Either you're using a Elf race character or have some dex enhancing magic items boosting the stat. Thief class I'll bet with an assassin kit of some kind. 

I was always partial to Paladins while younger. Now, I like to play Rangers or Clerics. Simply by chance some friends and I created a party of "little people". All halfings, gnomes, and dwarves recently. It was a bit like the movie Time Bandits. 

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
8/7/18 2:09 p.m.

In reply to Xceler8x :

Seeing as he speaks elvish, I'll hazard a guess. Also a VERY lucky stat roll. My first ever character I got very lucky with. Lowest starting stat was 12.

Also, I need to rewatch Time Bandits. Probably been 20 years.

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
8/7/18 2:12 p.m.

I used to play and run a game similar to D&D in my old military dorm days - borderline free entertainment.  We ended up growing our own game mechanics based on Iron Crown's RoleMaster rules.  Way more wide open for the players, but allowed the DM free reign to use any source they wanted.  Very time-consuming, so I haven't been into it in years - it takes away too much garage time.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/7/18 2:59 p.m.

While at a zine fest last month, I was passing a table covered with D&D dice. The woman behind the table asked when I last played D&D. "Fifth or sixth grade," I replied. I didn't add that was many years before she was born. 

Color me intrigued, so I check out her zine--and bought a copy. It's a mix of D&D stuff plus her own experiences in leading the game. Well done. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/7/18 5:56 p.m.

Relevant/not relevant. The cartoon was awesome. Always hated they never got off the ride. As much as I love that cartoon, I never got into it, dispite that great catalyst. Living in a small town in Montana didn't help.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
8/7/18 6:03 p.m.

Was always something I wanted to check out, but I never did find the right people to work into making it happen. Still trying to figure out a way to possibly make it happen. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/7/18 6:20 p.m.
Jerry said:

Sunday morning she texted me to bring my carpet cleaner machine, her washing machine hose had broken and needed help sucking up the water.  Brought it and two box fans.  Before I left I had the kiddo help me get teh character started.  Bonus geek points if you recognize the character image. cool

That looks like donnie yen from rogue one. 

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
8/7/18 8:36 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

Monk.  And that was the very first roll, an 18.  Trying to remember the +1 now, from a human race I think?  (+1 to all stats, trying to remember now, been a long day).  The rest, not so good.  Check out that 7 for Charisma (which was probably 6 + 1).  He's quick on his feet and with a staff, but apparently chews with his mouth open and burps at the table to a song.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/8/18 7:19 a.m.
Jerry said:

In reply to barefootskater :

Monk.  And that was the very first roll, an 18.  Trying to remember the +1 now, from a human race I think?  (+1 to all stats, trying to remember now, been a long day).  The rest, not so good.  Check out that 7 for Charisma (which was probably 6 + 1).  He's quick on his feet and with a staff, but apparently chews with his mouth open and burps at the table to a song.

Well considering 10 is considered average, that character seems pretty balanced to me. Not like my Half Elf Bard/ Rogue that I am playing in my friend's campaign, we are at level 10 and he has 8 Str, 20 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 10 Wis, 16 Cha.

We build using the points system rather then rolling though.

wae
wae SuperDork
8/8/18 7:43 a.m.

My sister, wife, and daughters play.  Mark your calendar for August 1-4 of next year and come to GenCon in Indianapolis.  Lots of D&D as well as other gaming.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vNaboI71n3fy14JC8poPIcOqlCy6RXkOARwB2lWK1ffDcTpdmCpisyHdkylYMdeG