1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 82
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/16/23 3:01 a.m.

I must be getting old.  It's taking me longer to recover these days.  But we're already half-way through January and I haven't done a thing to the truck since the last trip.  I've gotta get my butt in action, and gotta get started getting ready for the next run.  Here goes:

Wait...  First I need my excuses:  Mrs. Hungary was out of town last week, and having the kids and house to myself had me at max capacity.

Good.  Now, here goes:

Things are going to be different this year.  We're going to make progress on the house we've had under construction for the last two years, I'm going to work on the Charger this year, and if I'm going to do all of that then I need to get caught up on things.  So I started a list!

I can tell you already that I'm not going to get everything on that list completed.  The rear window, for instance, is a mess.  I inspected it yesterday and the track that the regulator sits in (the metal piece that attaches to the window) is nearly completely rotted out.  I've done some part number searching online, but haven't come up with anything yet.  I'm worried though, that if I do replace the track then I'll discover issues with the regulator.  It'd probably be a good idea if I had both the track AND a new regulator on hand before I attempt to mess with anything.  For now, it works. 

Speaking of regulators, I am 100% done with the electric windows in my doors.  This decision actually came to be when I was in Africa.  I've already purchased (and received!) manual regulators and the wind down handles from Rock Auto, and once I get new door cards to match, then those things are GONE.  I really can not wait.

That being that, there has been some terrible news from over the weekend.  A missile struck an apartment building in Dnipro and nearly 30 people were reported killed:

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/15/1149329917/dnipro-ukraine-apartment-russian-attack

Luckily, VikkiDp is in Lviv at the moment and we have been in communication.  She and her family are all safe.

VikkiDp and I had been in discussion about pushing further east (my idea), possibly into Kharkiv, but I think after seeing this last attack that we're right where we're supposed to be.  Our next run is still scheduled to benefit the prenatal center, and is still scheduled to happen in April, I just wish it wasn't so far away.

Mrs. Hungary and I are still in discussion about taking over the volunteer page on FB.  We're trying to iron out some details before we move forward, mostly with scheduling.  Ideally we'd like to work it out to help organize people to volunteer at the Kisgorbo shelter, but we want to make sure we're able to make a regular commitment to such a thing before we get started.

Also from Dnipro, we've received confirmation from the Ma'lva Rehabilitation center that they've received the money we sent!  (Just over $4000)  I do need to make a quick correction, the woman (Liusine, who I refered to as "a doctor") is the director of the facility AND a doctor.  Hopefully they're able to do good things with what was sent.  They did report that they were handing out the stuffed animals

And finally, no change to our paypal account or any inventory.  We're still right on track for our Feb 1st delivery to the Kisgorbo shelter.

Happy Monday, everyone.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/23 10:04 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you so much for the update. I've been fretting about vikki since the attack. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/16/23 10:47 a.m.
Javelin said:

Thank you so much for the update. I've been fretting about vikki since the attack. 

Same. Still praying for everyone too.

1/18/23 4:21 a.m.
tuna55 said:
Javelin said:

Same. Still praying for everyone too.

It's nice having a quick way to stay in touch with her, I'll admit. 

More info seems to be coming out of the city and I've learned that there were refugee parents killed in the building while their kids survived.  I cross checked the names from our lists of people we've been in contact with, and it doesn't seem to be anyone we know.  It still kills me though.  I just can't imagine...

1/18/23 4:34 a.m.

Ok.  I do have some good news that came in last night.  Back in December I mentioned that a member of the sister forum to this thread (an invite only video game forum) wanted to host a raffle for people who donated to the Christmas run, and I was asked to organize things from GRM's end.  Well, when all was said and done, I PM'd him the screen names of the donors from GRM and allotted them the appropriate amount of tickets to potentially win the prizes he was offering.  Yesterday I was informed that the following GRM members were drawn from the hat:

Ukraine Cookbook:  Dark Monohue
An-225 Plushie:  Flyin Low
Crimea Bridge Stamp Sheet:  Flyin Low

In addition to the prizes, the host of the drawing had a third Crimean Bridge Stamp Sheet that he would like to break up and send the single stamps to the following members fortheir participation:

Angry Corvair
AClockworkGarage
Woody

I'll send PM's out to the respective members to get contact info and addresses, etc.  But wanted say "Congratulations!" and thanks for doing everything you guys did to make that happen!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/18/23 9:01 a.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

Ok.  I do have some good news that came in last night.  Back in December I mentioned that a member of the sister forum to this thread (an invite only video game forum) wanted to host a raffle for people who donated to the Christmas run, and I was asked to organize things from GRM's end.  Well, when all was said and done, I PM'd him the screen names of the donors from GRM and allotted them the appropriate amount of tickets to potentially win the prizes he was offering.  Yesterday I was informed that the following GRM members were drawn from the hat:

Ukraine Cookbook:  Dark Monohue
An-225 Plushie:  Flyin Low
Crimea Bridge Stamp Sheet:  Flyin Low

In addition to the prizes, the host of the drawing had a third Crimean Bridge Stamp Sheet that he would like to break up and send the single stamps to the following members fortheir participation:

Angry Corvair
AClockworkGarage
Woody

I'll send PM's out to the respective members to get contact info and addresses, etc.  But wanted say "Congratulations!" and thanks for doing everything you guys did to make that happen!

Heroes, all!

Well done, Bill.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/18/23 3:35 p.m.

Woohoo! Can't hardly wait to get some good home cookin' started. I have some Mennonite ancestors who lived in Ukraine for a few generations, and I bet there are some meals in that book that they ate.

Thank you, Bill. And please pass my thanks on to the people involved on the other forum!

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
1/19/23 2:30 a.m.

I'm going to find a tiny tiny picture frame and hang that bad boy on my wall.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
1/19/23 10:33 a.m.

...Or put it in the biggest frame your wall has space for.

1/20/23 7:48 a.m.

Hey guys, I just got word on Wednesday that VikkiDp has returned from her trip in Lviv and her neighbor got his package! 

Happy Friday everyone!

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
1/20/23 8:43 a.m.

Hi everyone! i'm back home!

Thank you all for your support heart

Such tragedies... that's very unsettling... it's very hard and it breaks my heart - I still can't believe and understand how this can happen... i can't understand... it's too much pain... too much... every time something like that happens...

46 people died(including kids too) crying

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
1/20/23 1:03 p.m.

In reply to VikkiDp :

It's great to hear that you are safely back home. Even being as far removed as we are, it's all still so painfully heart breaking and impossible to understand. Nobody should have to experience what your entire country is going through right now. There is also real strength in the way you have kept your kindness and compassion. I'm just thankful that you find Bill and the rest of us, and gave us the opportunity to support you and the people of your country in some directly meaningful way. If only there was more we could do to help put an end to the cause of it all too.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
1/22/23 4:31 p.m.

I'd like to add - it's really important and necessary for us(Ukrainians) to feel support - just a few words, just pray, just don't forget about us - that we're not alone in this awful situation what's happening.

I understand that everyone is tired of this war, the whole world is tired of the mention of news from Ukraine(it's not the best way to present our country) , happening have affected many people around the world... unfortunately...

Kindness, compassion and opportunities to support people help me to get through this and don't give up. Every day i thanks all people who helps and supports us.

I'm so glad that i met Bill(man, you're really incredible), his amazing family, you guys and we all have this possibility to do such good things together.

Good always wins!!! 

Cheers!!!

1/26/23 3:46 a.m.

Sorry I was out this week guys.  I had an absolutely nasty throat infection that spread and really knocked me out.  I just started moving again yesterday.

Vikki, I'm glad you got on here when you did.  I'm hoping we can continue to work together to help.  Mrs. Hungary is already talking about wanting to be in on this summer's run (the trip after the next run).  Good always does win.

I do owe you guys an update on our paypal account.  There's been a small bump since the last time I posted it (see below)

and we're still scheduled to make the transfer just after the weekend.

VikkiDp and I have been in talks, and refugees in her area have been reaching out to her asking for assistance with buying things like baby food and diapers.  She was able to order some online and have them sent locally (so no drive needed) and we thought this was something we might be able to help out with.  I'll post all the details on here tomorrow.

and last but not least, Ma'lva Rehabilitation center is starting to send us back a list of items they're buying with the money transfered:

I'll post more updates from them as they come in.

Cheers guys!

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
1/26/23 4:45 p.m.

This message from the director of the center should be added to the reports above smiley

translation: You're just our saviors. We want to renovate the rooms to keep the kids comfortable and we'll send you reports(pictures) - before/after.

FooBag (Forum Supporter)
FooBag (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/26/23 5:13 p.m.

Bill, looks like we're a bit short for the Kisborbo shelter this month.  I'm planning to kick another $100 that direction, but I have to wait until the 31st to ensure I don't have a bad paycheck surprise (commission based).  I wanted to give you the heads up in case you want to delay the transfer until it hits your account.

DarkMonohue
1/26/23 5:15 p.m.

I still haven't made my December December contribution, either. I'll try to get that in tonight.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
1/26/23 5:26 p.m.

On my way to work today i saw this graffiti on the wall broken heart

DarkMonohue
1/26/23 5:39 p.m.

In reply to VikkiDp :

Translated to English (if I did it correctly):

It's unbelievable that this invasion happened in the first place. Unbelievable that it is still going on. Unbelievable that it's being framed as "liberation".

1/27/23 1:40 p.m.

In reply to FooBag and Dark Monohue :

Hey, no worries at all guys.  A day or two either way wont hurt things a bit.  Let me know and I'll either front the money or hold the transfer.  Either way, we'll get it taken care of.

Thank you both!

1/27/23 1:42 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

In reply to VikkiDp :

It's unbelievable that this invasion happened in the first place. Unbelievable that it is still going on. Unbelievable that it's being framed as "liberation".

The EU parliament just voted.  Russia is now a terrorist state.

1/27/23 1:58 p.m.

Guys.  Vikka just wrote me.

Mothers in the area are writing her for help.  They're asking for diapers and baby food.

I can't make a run out of this one, the truck is still down from the last one and I couldn't fit it in the schedule if I tried.  BUT Vikki can order locally, and get the supplies delivered directly to the people in need.  No middle men.

In the past we've had trouble getting money wired across the border (they usually get flagged as "potential scams", but we've gotten pretty good at it and have a good routine in place.  So with that, I'm proposing that anyone wanting to help in this endeavour, wire money to my paypal (same one as always).  I can then send the money to VikkiDp, and she can place the order.  She has graciously offered to share the update once the order is placed, and any response she gets from the respective mothers.

To help with the effort, VikkiDp is also offering the following raffle prize:

This is a sheet of stamps commenting the Crimea bridge explosion, the post card that comes with the purchase, and the envelope that holds it all.  All purchased locally and VikkiDp will send it directly to you from Ukraine.

Each $10 donated buys a ticket.  Names will be put in a hat, and we'll use a random number generator to pick the winner.  The drawing will be held on Monday, February 6th.

Since this paypal account is also used for the Kisgorbo shelter, if you're wanting to make sure this money goes to the mothers then please make sure to say so in the notes section of your transfer.

It's killing me that we cant fill a truck and send this, but I think we'll still be able to deliver.

Thank you guys, for all that you continue to do.

DarkMonohue
1/27/23 2:36 p.m.

Funds on the way! I'll leave it to Bill to direct them where they're needed most.

1/28/23 11:10 a.m.
DarkMonohue said:

Funds on the way! I'll leave it to Bill to direct them where they're needed most.

Got it, sir!  Thank you!

We've had a couple donations hit the account already, and I've got the appropriate amount of tickets for the drawing allotted accordingly. I just wanted to give this a quick bump and say "Happy Saturday, everyone!"

1/30/23 3:40 a.m.

Holy smokes, happy Monday everyone!  You guys are awesome, and here's where we're at:

The outpouring of support for this over the weekend has been TREMENDOUS!  Thank you all so much.

With the donations that came in, we were able to top up the remaining amount for the Kisgorbo shelter and had over 300,000 remaining to send to the mothers in Dnipro.  I'm going to start the Kisgorbo transfer now, but will keep to our original schedule for the baby money transfer.

There hasn't been much else in the way of news, but this is the last week that I'll be working day-shift so things should be picking back up shortly (day shifts tend to be slower progress days as most of my daylight hours are spent behind a desk...).

Cheers everyone, and thank you again!

1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 82

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K1wQso0yeoc08SzIo1rcxRcuq5hmW9yGOvuuitALejo6RbMJIa0EfYzCDYPMXHgt