1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 82
VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
3/22/23 11:06 a.m.

our fundraiser has received enough in donations that we were able to purchase the first item on the list!

that's GREAT news!!!

I love it when a plan comes together!

Same thing! So many AMAZING people around!!!

Thanks to your friend Anna!!!

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
3/25/23 4:40 p.m.

So guys! There’s one important thing that I would like to tell you about. I still haven’t told you my part of the story of December’s run. But trust me – it needs to be told.

When I think back on it I can’t still believe we DID it – WE ALL did it THOGETER – it was GREAT work!!!

How it was? Let’s go back in time a little bit.

Well all the preparations have completed, all the tasks that came up along our way we have handled successfully and as quickly as we could, all the kids’ wishes (and so much more) have taken into account, purchased and wrapped.

Bill let me say «BIG THANKS» to Sarah, your mom and your Grandma once again – they’re real angels (spoiler – there are some more good words for them, but more about that later)

Incredibly GREAT work has done!!! Even more than we planned – more kids and more gifts!!! That’s just AMAZING!!!

Day X is coming…

16th December 2022, Friday… in the morning…

Bill and Sarah are somewhere on their way to the Ukrainian border, I’m going to go to work…

7.49 the sirens turn on – I don’t pay attention to that and finish my breakfast.

So I’m ready to go out – I open the front door and hear the sounds of explosions – f***, «great» start to the day – going back into the house – explosions continue - the electricity goes out almost immediately – a little later and water… I didn’t get to work this day…

I text my daughter to ask her how she is, but I don’t get an answer… mobile services are off… data services are off…

Now I can't find out what's going on around me, I can't find out if everything is Ok with my family, I can’t text Bill and Sarah and let them know what happened and find out how they are… I can’t…

The only thing I hope they haven’t crossed the border yet and I hope this apocalypse is over before they do it.

Note. It was a massive attack on all of Ukraine, about 76 missiles launched and unfortunately there were hits to infrastructure and civilian houses. Many people were left without electricity, water and warmth for 3-4 days.

The only thing I could do in this situation is to wait and pray that all would be well.

About 19.00 mobile and data services are starting to appear – got the message from my daughter – everything’s ok with her!!! That’s great news!!! Also (oh, yeah!!!) I got the message from Bill and Sarah that they sent about 15.30 – they report that a pile of snow prevents them from moving fast enough.

Ohhh, guys I’m happy to hear that everything is ok with you!!!

I hear the sound of a car approaching – aha, this is Sergey - he came home for the weekend – hmmm… a few interesting thoughts come to my mind - I think that a couple free hands to help us tomorrow – it’s a good idea (spoiler – it was really GOOD idea!!!) and I think it will be a great surprise for Bill and I think Bill will like Sergey’s car – ha, I’m absolutely sure of it!!!

A quick chat with him – he will be glad to help!!! Cool!!!

It’s already after midnight – no any words from Bill and Sarah – i text them «guys where are you?»

Hmmm… where are they? They’re NOWHERE!!! I’m looking at the geolocation that Bill sent me and I realize they’re somewhere in the middle of the vast fields of Ukraine and they probably didn't find a place to stay overnight. Ohhh, my dear friends!!! I'm so sorry!!!

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/27/23 11:52 a.m.
DarkMonohue said:
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

Now.  me bein' me.  I really can't help but notice there is still the SLIGHTEST bump in power when I go to WOT.  It's not as linear as the rest of the throttle range, but it's not even a thing we should be worried about.  This could just be a characteristic of an old engine management system, but I'm going to keep fiddling a bit with some of the adjustments to see if I cant bump that low end power up a little and get rid of that slight switch-like transition.

You're exactly right. IIRC, the TPS closes a new circuit when the throttle gets opened to a certain point, and when that happens the ECU goes into open loop mode, reverts back to its base fuel map, and no longer trims the mixture based on oxygen sensor feedback. A noticable change in feel as WOT is approached is to be expected.

Have we talked about turbocharging? Seems like that truck could use a few pounds of boost...

You know... I do have a Megasquirt ECU (of the MS3 variety) and a wideband laying around... devil

I did get the TPS dialed in, and now she's SMOOTH through the entire powerband/rpm range.  I might advance the timing another degree or two though.  Seems like she might want just a touch more.

And I really need to get to those windows.  It's been raining a lot lately...

3/27/23 12:02 p.m.
VikkiDp said:

I hear the sound of a car approaching – aha, this is Sergey - he came home for the weekend – hmmm… a few interesting thoughts come to my mind - I think that a couple free hands to help us tomorrow – it’s a good idea (spoiler – it was really GOOD idea!!!) and I think it will be a great surprise for Bill and I think Bill will like Sergey’s car – ha, I’m absolutely sure of it!!!

A quick chat with him – he will be glad to help!!! Cool!!!

It’s already after midnight – no any words from Bill and Sarah – i text them «guys where are you?»

Hmmm… where are they? They’re NOWHERE!!! I’m looking at the geolocation that Bill sent me and I realize they’re somewhere in the middle of the vast fields of Ukraine and they probably didn't find a place to stay overnight. Ohhh, my dear friends!!! I'm so sorry!!!

That was 100% a great idea!  I'm certain we couldn't have delivered all those toys without teaming up the way we did.

You know, there was one problem with Sergey's car.  When I show anyone a picture of it, they practically beg me to let them buy it.  There's a manager in our office that asks me at least once a week laugh

And one thing I was surprised to learn about when we got back were the massive strikes on the area.  Sarah and I never heard a siren for the entire trip.  This is the first time that's happened!  But like you said, we were sleeping in the middle of no-where.  Which was no problem.  I remember thinking back to the videos I saw from the beginning of the war where Ukrainian children were taking shelter from airstrikes in subway stations.  I figured if they could do that then Mrs. Hungary and I could sleep in a Toyota for a couple nights.  wink

3/27/23 2:17 p.m.

I always hate the weekends because nothing gets touched for a couple days, and then I come in on Monday feeling like I'm WAY behind on everything.  These budget updates always make me feel better.

Here goes:

Ok, so from the top we're still a little shy with our Kisgorbo funds.  I'm planning on e-mailing Mayor Kozma again as I haven't heard from him since before the holidays.  I figure things probably got busy for him around that time, but they should be slowing down about now.  Really I'd just like an update as to how things are going, how many people are there, and what's been happening so far this year.  Usual stuff, but good to know.

Our GoFundMe is up to nearly $1500, and we have just under a month to run that one as far as we can.  I noticed it's slowed a bit this last week and I'm always looking for new outlets to try to get word out (my old-man approach to social media really works against me on these).  Today I read an article from the New York Times titled "Stolen Valor" which talked about con-artists that have worked their way into the system, and (insert bad endings here).  I decided I had nothing to lose so I reached out to their war corespondent (and co-author of the article) and said "Hello, here's a small operation doing big things..." and then offered him a ride in the truck.  We'll see if he responds, but it was fun.

Baby blankets, soccer balls are all on hand and ready.  Stuffies are on their way.  All is looking good at this point.

My hope is to have this delivery to the prenatal center that wont take much room in the truck.  With what space we have left, I'll sort and organize donations to the children we delivered Christmas to.  If I can get everything packed and boxed in advance, then we can avoid last minute issues at the office like we had last time.  Just grab and go wink

Good times

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
3/27/23 4:44 p.m.
VikkiDp said:

Now THAT is funny!... I mean, less so when it was happening I'm sure. But now after everything turned out so well we can look back and laugh. Thanks for sharing your side of the story!

3/28/23 10:27 a.m.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a message from Kisgorbo.  It looks like the beginning of this year was rough on not just us but everyone.  Here it is as it was sent to me:

Dear Bill...

Firstly, thanks for your attention!

Yes, it's amazing that we've been dealing with them for a year, one way or another. Someone supports the refugees from afar, and someone up close. However, I believe that those who have been seriously dealing with the refugees from the beginning do not count the days, do not pay attention to when the war will end, since we have no influence on that. But we feel the consequences. 

There is news about the refugees from Kisgörbő, since many of them moved on or went back towards the end of last year. From January, they were variable but continuous, although not in such large numbers as at the beginning. 

I'll be honest, I don't even mind, because even though we provided them with everything, something changed a lot. And this is a huge change in utility rates. Imagine, in November the electric heating was 1 million HUF, in December it was 1.5 million ! HUF, in January HUF 870,000, in February HUF 800,000. This is an amazing amount that I can't handle. It's just the heating. 

I had to temporarily close the shelter, so I moved the 3 families who are here to a nearby village. Just yesterday they moved back to Kisgörbő. They were away for a month. Of course, they can only heat under strict rules. This is a common interest, they must understand that. They continue to receive breakfast and a hot lunch, I help in whatever way I can. But apart from you, I can't really count on anyone in financial matters. 

There is no better word than thank you. And thanks again. Now I really promise to visit you in Pápa with the Daimler... I'll invite you to a unicum and we'll drink a few beers... 

We have a lot of common experience on this refugee topic! I hope you will accept the visit…

I welcome GMS members of course , appreciate peace, family, and your hobby...

Very respectfully,

KG

To put this into perspective, he paid 1.5 million Hungarian forint in December just to heat the building.  GRM members paid 2-million forint to install the complete heating system for the entire building one year ago!  I knew energy prices went up around here, but we largely shut down our heating system in December through February (because the gas comes from Russia) so we were a bit disconnected from how bad things were.

But also, GRM members have been invited for a drink (Unicum is pretty much a national drink in this country) and I'm happy to host anyone who comes out in a spare bedroom or on the couch.

Cheers guys.

3/28/23 10:29 a.m.

and because I'm a stickler for showing my work wink

3/28/23 10:34 a.m.

Oh, shoot!  One more (yes, I know I could edit).  We've topped our 500,000 forint monthly donation so I've started moving money towards Kisgorbo. 

We have 27,000 left over in the paypal account and I'm going to hold it there until Monday the 3rd to see what we're going to do with it.  Options are

1) Send it in to Dnipro to help with baby food and diapers

2) Send it to Kisgorbo to help with operations.

Right now, I'm leaning towards #1.  I know Kisgorbo is having a rough go at things at the moment but this weather is bound to break soon (and energy costs will go down when it does) and I would really like to bump up the account a bit with the mothers in Dnipro to make sure they're taken care of.  Having two children, I know diapers and forumula are endless needs.

3/28/23 3:31 p.m.

I blew a hose over the weekend while trying to finish work at our old rental house (long story, but handover is Thursday and we are STILL getting the house cleaned up).  The short version is I 100% did not have time to deal with such things, so this is what I did:

And then I went and made a meme about it:

I will 100% fix this after the house handover, but for right now it's not leaking a drop with the F4 tape and the zip ties.  I'm caling this a "proof of concept" for future bodges laugh

Good times.

szeis4cookie (Forum Supporter)
szeis4cookie (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/29/23 2:15 p.m.

Holy crap that heating bill. God willing, everyone's gone home by next winter...but if we could raise the money, could the Mayor get window replacements and insulation done?

3/30/23 10:19 a.m.
szeis4cookie (Forum Supporter) said:

Holy crap that heating bill. God willing, everyone's gone home by next winter...but if we could raise the money, could the Mayor get window replacements and insulation done?

Good idea!  I just sent him a message and will let you know what his response is.

szeis4cookie (Forum Supporter)
szeis4cookie (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/30/23 1:35 p.m.
3/31/23 3:01 p.m.

In reply to szeis4cookie (Forum Supporter) :

Beautiful!  I'll send the link his way!

3/31/23 3:03 p.m.

Guys,

I'm out for the weekend and it looks like the GFM is stagnating a bit.  If you have ideas on places or media that might be interested in our drive then please let me know.  I feel like I'm running out of outlet ideas and haven't gotten much of a response from them lately.  I'd like to hit monday running, if I could.

Cheers everyone!

4/4/23 5:21 a.m.

Happy Tuesday everyone!  It's been a week, I tell you what.  Here's the update:

First and foremost, the Kisgorbo transfer was made.  You may remember we had a bit left over in the paypal account (about $100, to be exact).  I've added to it with some personal money and sent that to VikkiDp for use wherever she sees fit.  That transfer was just completed and should be hitting her account shortly.

I do want to thank everyone who shared the GFM link over the weekend, we were able to add $150 to the balance (and that is awesome!).  I did discover that there were some issues with my microscope order that I placed for the prenatal center.  It took me 2 more tries,  but I think I finally got a payment method through that would work (difficult, as the site would not accept a US address for billing)

Parts for the truck are arriving.  I've got both door window regulators, the rear window track, and a second-hand rear window regulator unit that's missing some teeth.  My hope will be to make one good regulator from two when I'm finally able to tear into that one.  I've also got swaybar links and bolts for both sides of that unit, as I snapped those apart on the run to Africa (the swaybar is currently being held out of the way by zip ties, but is otherwise still hanging from the truck).  AAAAAaaand of course there's the usual laundry list of stuff that needs working on with the truck as well.

All good times though, and nothing that's a show stopper.

In other news, it's a long holiday for us this weekend as we get both Friday and Monday off for easter this year.  So happy easter everyone, and we hope you have a great holiday!  (And if I'm not mistaken, Orthodox Easter is on the 16th so be sure to wish your Ukrainian friends a happy holiday then too).

Cheers guys!

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
4/4/23 8:09 a.m.

Sent some cheddar your way sir - keep up the great work.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
4/4/23 11:02 a.m.

I know it's late in the page, but reposting the GFM link for anybody that might have use for it:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/dnipro-prenatal-center-and-refugee-children

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/23 11:20 a.m.
Driven5 said:

I know it's late in the page, but reposting the GFM link for anybody that might have use for it:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/dnipro-prenatal-center-and-refugee-children

thanks for that!  i just posted on my FB feed.

4/6/23 5:50 a.m.

In reply to Driven5 and AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Much appreciated guys!

I've also shared this with a few outlets.  Specifically:

David Freiburger (I highlighted all the zip ties, and tape holding this thing together)

Mighty Car Mods (they've been covering their new Hilux quite extensively lately)

Donut Media

Gambler 500

Jalopnik

The Infographics Show

I tried to pitch a relevant angle to each and every one (for instance, The Infographics Show has a segment on Helge Meyer and his Ghost Camaro) but we'll see if anyone picks it up.

In other news I have about $700 in local donations, and am scheduled to pick up more shortly.  I also have a box of supplies to deliver to the Hospitallers so I might be paying them a visit on my stay in country.

That microscope I ordered a while back is proving to be most difficult.  I ended up ordering it three times and am crossing my fingers daily that it will arrive so I can breathe again.  If we can clear a bit more cash then I'll put the blood pressure monitor on order so I don't have to go through the same thing laugh

Good times, and happy easter everyone!

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
4/6/23 2:16 p.m.

The day of the meeting when something (almost all) went wrong... or not?

Well let’s continue… and let’s go back in time a bit

17th December – the meeting and delivering day

Bill and Sarah don’t have data services and that’s not good – we don’t have the ability to be in touch and coordinate our actions. Free WI-FI at gas stations and SMS help us out – guys reported that they’re ok and the approximate time of arrival – the meeting point is the place that Bill and I know well – no chance to get lost!!! That’s good!!!
Estimated meeting time about 15.00 – Sergey already asked me a few times if it’s time to us to go – unfortunately, nooo… I got the message – Bill and Sarah are delayed on their way. 

So Sergey and I get at the meeting point a bit earlier that Bill and Sarah – this is the nova poshta office where we’re going to send most of the gifts – it seems like it’s easy and simple –aha-ha-ha!!! Vika did not yet know what was waiting for her and not only her.
I notice that there are a lot of people outside the Nova poshta office - the holiday season is near and everyone is preparing gifts for their loved ones – The Nova poshta is a really excellent service to do it very fast. 
I only have an rough!!! idea of how much we need to send, but I absolutely know that it’s a lot of many boxes , so I go to get in turn (It should have helped us get through it faster) and Sergei stays in the car. 
Wowww! What I see!!! It’s the familiar car pulling up to the curb!!! and already now I notice that there is no roof on the truck – whaaat!!!

Running to greet Bill – man, I noticed your T-shirt, but I have no time to say you anything because I’m running to hug and greet Sarah. Sergey greet Bill and Sarah too – it’s a good surprise for Bill – yeah!!!
 Guys I’m so glad to see you!!! 

Now I’m looking at the truck – if you think that Vikki was shocked – ha-haa – nooo!!! – Vikki was VERY SHOCKED and VERY IMPRESSED!!! 
I already said it last time, but I would say it once again – it’s the one thing is seeing this on the photos and another to see it in reality!!!

Time is about 15.30 and it’s time to get to work. For two families need to delivery by Ukrposhta, but we’re not going to make it on time – the post office works until 16.00  and we won't be able to quickly dig out what needs to be delivered in this gifts pile.
We decided to focus on delivering from the nova poshta and the gifts to be delivered from Ukrposhta we will load into Sergei's car and I will send them on Monday. 
It’s a good solution!

Unload the boxes from the truck, shake them out of the trash bags and sort for every family – I thanks once again to Bill’s mom and grandma in my mind – every box has child’s name and family number - it helps us sort gifts faster.
Maaan, when did you have time to take the photos? I didn’t make any.
Ohhh, damn, I skipped my turn - I take packages ready for delivery and go to take the turn once again - making a couple more trips for packages to start delivery faster.

But I have some bad news waiting for me – data services are off because of yesterday’s attack and all paperwork for delivery must be filled out by hand - It would take too much time and we won't have time to send everything until 18.00. I feel confused - we have a bunch of gifts on the tarp… how to deliver all these? Bill and Sarah need to get home… What can we do?
The office worker tells me that there is the office nearby where everything works!!!
I go back to the guys and tell them this. We need to quickly sort out the remaining gifts and put them back in the truck and we have too little time left to do it – we need to hurry up!!!
It’s already getting dark… very dark… the street lights don't work… only headlights of passing cars…

In that moment it seemed that everything that could have wrong went wrong.

The three of us get to work - i and Sarah shine flashlights on our phones - I forgot my flashlight at home even though it's always in my bag – damn… how???

No matter what, we made it - the truck is loaded again. Sergey’s car is loaded packages for Ukrposhta. Bill and I are going to another office of the nova poshta. Sarah and Sergey stay waiting for us this office with the packages that we brought there, but have not had time to take back.

Let this party finally start – we both were doing everything as fast as we can – and let me tell you it was unbelievably fast!!! and we shocked the postal workers a bit again!!! At the last minute, we sent all the gifts that were in the truck!!!
 WE DID IT!!! YEAH!!!

We go back – pick up Sarah, Sergey and the remaining boxes - are they ever going to run out today?

The next drop-off point is waiting for us… this is far from the end of the story…

To be continued…

4/7/23 12:17 a.m.

In reply to VikkiDp :

Oh man, just thinking about us looking at that tarp of gifts that took us so long to sort and organize, only to have to load everything back into the truck (and unload again) really got my anxiety going again laugh  I remember the four of us just STARING at all presents we unloaded, and they ALL needed to go back in the truck (and in less than an hour, if I remember correctly.  Or the office would have closed).  My brain was thinking "there's no way this is going to be possible" and "if you don't start loading the truck, then you're never going to finish and it WILL be impossible".

But you said it about the photos.  When you look at the tarp you really dont get an idea of how much higher than the roof the packages were.  It almost looks like the roof could have stayed on the truck.  But when we stood next to it....  wow.

I remember we had to stand on the back tires just to be able to reach high enough to get the tarp pulled back!

Man, that was insane...  I can't wait to do it again.

4/7/23 12:36 a.m.

Guys.  A few quick updates as a LOT happened yesterday!

First:  Local donation of $700 in cash.  Mrs. Hungary and I took bit of a liberty with it, and bought some easter chocolate for the children.  Orthodox Easter happens after the US's celebration of Easter, so hopefully I can get these to the kiddo's in time for the holiday.

Of course we still have lots of money left over, so that will go towards the purchase of that blood pressure monitor that we're so dangerously close to being able to afford wink

Second!

Someone local to me has been collecting front-line medical supply like items.  They had a box full and do I still have contacts with the Hospitallers?  I certainly do! 

Burn dressings, compression bandages, all sorts of things with an NSN for the volunteer medics at the front.  It'll be nice to see them again.

Third, and closest to GRM home:  Girthquake, your Eagle has landed!!!!

LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THOSE BOXES!!!!

When we got them, I got a phone call "Bill, did you order a pressure washer????"

Um, no.  But if you have one that needs a home, then I'll happily adopt it.

It turns out that it was the art supplies and stuffed animals, and this was a MUCH needed boost in what otherwise was a drive that was fixing to stall.

Thank you guys.  Yesterday was a good day.

"... that we're so dangerously close to being able to afford" didn't sit right with me. Check your PayPal. \m/

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
4/7/23 11:56 a.m.
VikkiDp said:

Wowww! What I see!!! It’s the familiar car pulling up to the curb!!! and already now I notice that there is no roof on the truck – whaaat!!!

Now I’m looking at the truck – if you think that Vikki was shocked – ha-haa – nooo!!! – Vikki was VERY SHOCKED and VERY IMPRESSED!!!

I woke up this morning in a bad mood about a bunch of stuff... The way you tell your side of this story puts a big smile on my face. Thank you, and I'm looking forward to your next chapter.

1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 82

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KoWshtvtSOVHH1JBdk9DDe2l7gKbg5K8VCuck8kUDRn7WUkuuZRwI94xfC3iHx2i