KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
10/15/18 5:22 p.m.

I don’t know if any of you car geeks are also comic book nerds but I used to collect quite a bit, not much any more.

If anyone has a solid line on how to get rid of old collectibles I’d like some insight.  This TMNT (3rd printing) might be worth anywhere from $200 to $2,000.

so let’s see what you’ve got.  Is it for sale? What have you read that you liked?  Graphic novels ok, since they are basically comics for grown ups.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
10/15/18 5:48 p.m.

I used to collect them but never went full comic book nerd. These guys are local to me, super knowledgeable, and fair.

http://mountainmancomics.com/

Might be worth reaching out to them.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
10/15/18 6:03 p.m.

Every once in a while, I pick up something Batman related.

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
10/15/18 6:27 p.m.

Saga is an awesome new comic. Part Romeo Juliet part space opera.

Also started reading the dragon ball manga.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/15/18 7:06 p.m.

I read whatever the corner store had as a kid, usually the Simpson's and Mortal Kombat. 

I've come to really appreciate the Sandman comics/graphic novels as I've aged, but man are they expensive these days. 

In a semi related thought, I'd really like a Batman nerd to fill me in on the Gotham series. I know it's kind of its own canon, but it's got me more interested than any of the movie ever did. I've seen the first 4 seasons, and am really blown away. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
10/15/18 7:26 p.m.

Lately I’ve been reading “Y The Last Man”.  Sandman series is good.   I even found a graphic novel version of “The Wheel Of Time”.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/15/18 7:36 p.m.

I keep meaning to go back and reread The Dark Knight Returns--a true classic. 

I collected while in college and still have everything in bags and boxes. Mainly it was Batman, The Punisher and then weird/funny indy stuff like Dinosaurs for Hire, The Trouble With Girls, etc. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
10/15/18 8:23 p.m.

I've got some "collectable" issues, but none are professionally graded so aren't really worth much.  I've got some Silver and Bronze Age stuff but most of what I've bought in recent years are good condition versions of some of my favorites from the late '80s to mid '90s that I wore out/damaged before I knew any better.  Vast majority is Marvel X-Men and related.

Graded and encapsulated I might have $600-$1K, but I'm never going to pay to have them graded.

Ony Graphic Novels I have are Dark Horse's various Alien stories and Aliens Vs. Stuff, i.e. Predator, Terminator, etc.

Some highlights of my collection:

The Uncanny X-Men #222 1965 (Wolverine battles Sabertooth)

The Uncanny X-Men #184 1963 ("The Past of Future Days," 1st appearance of Forge)

The Avengers King-Size Annual #10 1981 (1st appearance of Rouge, Brotherhood of Mutants takes down Captain Marvel)

The New Mutants #87 1990 (1st appearance of Cable)

The Uncanny X-Men #221 1987 (1st appearance of Mr. Sinister)

Ghost Rider #1 1990 (1st issue of 2nd series)

Venom: Lethal Protector #1-6 1993 (Stand alone limited series)

Venom: Funeral Pyre #1-3 1993 (Venom & Punisher limited series)

Venom: The Madness #1-3 1993 (Venom vs. Juggernaut limited series)

X-Men #1 1991 (I've got all 5 cover versions that go together to make a panoramic poster)

X-Men #4 & #5 1991 (Omega Red, one of my favorite bad guys)

Spiderman 2099 #1 1992 (Not worth much, but I remember reading it cover to cover when new while mom was shopping)

Spawn #1 & #2 1992 (They made enough of these everyone has a 1st edition)

Wolverine #50 1988 ("Codename: Wolverine Top Secret," not worth much, but cool cover with claw holes slashed in it)

Aliens: Stronghold #1-4 1994 (Space Marines Vs. Aliens, plus a foul mouthed, cigar smoking, machine gun toting, synthetic/android, xenomorph developed to infiltrate hives, what's not to love?)

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/18 8:57 p.m.

I've been reading and collecting since a child. Sold off my childhood collection while in college. Been rebuilding my Simonson Thor run. 

Also do Cap, Avengers, Iron Man. Mostly Marvel. Some Batman. 

Did Injustice for a while but got tired of Superman. 

I largely read digital now. Less paper and no bags or boards needed. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/15/18 8:58 p.m.

I’ve got maybe 700 comic books, mostly from the ‘80s and early ‘90s. Probably not too much of huge value because I bought what I liked reading rather than what was collectible or popular. 

Probably the most potentially valuable issues I have are first printings of the original 3-issue Men In Black title, M/NM bagged and boarded.

I also have the first Alan Moore Swamp Thing issue.  And 2 sets of first printing Watchmen, 1 set M/UR. But that ship has probably already sailed on high value. 

I have a huge but incomplete run of Cerebus, not old enough for the really valuable issues, and anything in the modern era tanked after Dave Sim went off the deep end. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/15/18 9:02 p.m.

Oh, I have Ghostrider S2 #1 as mentioned above, and a number of the bagged McFarlane Spider-Man #1 variants that I won in a raffle from my comic store. But that was such a blatant cash grab by Marvel that they’re probably worth cover at best.

I have Miller’s Dark Knight series, not first printings. I also have his Elektra run with Bill Sienkewicz, which is totally incredible.  I have Miller’s Ronin and a number of the original  Sin City titles.   

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/15/18 9:10 p.m.

I know he went on to bigger things at Disney, but I have a whole bunch of Matt Feasell’s self-produced 1/8th page photocopy comics, like Cynicalman and Antisocialman. They’re awesome. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
10/15/18 10:01 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I'd like to have all of the McFarlane covers and the Spawn parodies/homages of them, same for the old Action Comics and their Spawn parodies.

I have delusions of making high-res scans of lot of my favorite covers, then making high quality 1:1 prints, framing them and hanging them in my office.  I guess that won't work as well on the hologram covers.

I neglected to mention, I've read The Walking Dead up to #140 plus all the special editions to that point.  I really enjoyed it, and preferred the story arc and characters better than the TV show.  Around about the time Negan escapes, and the Whispers show up is where I lost interest.  A coworker had the first few Omnibuses, and let me borrow them, then I started reading them online.  I really enjoyed the series up until they killed off Glen, if you thought the show was too violent, don't read the books.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
10/15/18 10:06 p.m.

My dad was a pretty big Spiderman and Captain America fan when he was a kid, he had boxes of Golden Age era comics in his bedroom closet.  When he moved off to college, his younger sister moved into his room, and cleaned out his closet, she burned them all. angrycrying

He's still pretty miffed about that ~50 years later.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/16/18 9:23 a.m.

I've got the Alan Moore - Neil Gaiman run of Miracleman, some of which seem to have some value.

I have to figure out if I have Saga of the Swamp Thing #20 or #21, because the first one is worth about $275 in 9+ condition, while the second is about half that.

My Howard Chaykin American Flagg issues are worth about cover, also like my Baron / Rude Nexus run, despite being excellent comics.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fNQIPrVLmuVWbIAHSuDDaddoD6jRdWjCv9YTXgryACRck2P1BMqd9vUdgmgHu04i