1 2 3 4
AutoOccultist
AutoOccultist Reader
9/6/20 10:54 p.m.

It must be harder to get into the youtube game these days. But lots of small channels are out there putting out decient content and not getting picked up by the algorithm. What channels are your watching that could use some extra eyes?  

Here is a channel I subscribed to becuase he was building a scaled down locost go kart.  He has a lot of interesting projects but only has 300 subscribers after 2 years.

https://www.youtube.com/user/juscozcustoms

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/7/20 6:55 a.m.

If you like junky old WW II trucks, pickups and dry humor I've been enjoying this guy's stuff:  Backyard Alaskan

14 year old girl restores old Ford Falcon with her dad. I find her enthusiasm infectious and she is doing a really good job:  Ellie's Garage 

Australian shop teacher rebuilds all sorts of things:  Peter Anderson

British guy living in the USA builds vintage trials bikes and restores a few antiques. His folksy delivery and machinist skills are a lot of fun:  Michale Waller Brittannia Motorcycles

The rest of my subscriptions are the usual stuff--Uncle Tony's Garage, Thunderhead289, Junkyard Digs and Vice Grip Garage.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/7/20 7:59 a.m.

It's so weird that I live a hour from Junkyard Digs and Thunderhead289. We've looked at the same cars on craiglist before.

I'll have to post him tonight, but I recently found a grandpa looking for details on Buick I8s and found he put a T5 behind a 320. His recent project is a V12 L-head American LaFrance engine he got running.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/7/20 8:16 a.m.

I enjoy this guy's diagnostic work and he is also entertaining. Watch him for a bit and soon you'll be saying "there's your problem lady" and telling delivery guys "don't let your meat loaf"...

https://www.youtube.com/c/SouthMainAutoRepairAvoca

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/7/20 8:19 a.m.

I fell hard down the M539 Restorations hole the other night.

German host with a penchant for buying 10+ cylinder BMWs that have been neglected. Fits my sense of humor.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/7/20 9:32 a.m.

Keep yer dick in a vice and watch AvE: https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/7/20 9:39 a.m.

I like watching Homebuilt by Jeff.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/7/20 9:39 a.m.

I like Speed Academy.  Ironically their last video was them talking about trying to change things up so their channel will grow more.  I really like their content, wide variety of cars they work on, they dyno them, track them, etc. 

Interesting that a great channel like that only has ~350k subscribers and the goofballs on goonzquad have 2.25 million...

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/7/20 10:17 a.m.

I'm glad that ddavidv introduced me to Ellie's Garage. I'm really enjoying it and I think my 14 year old son will appreciate it even more.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/7/20 11:49 a.m.
The0retical (Forum Supporter) said:

German host with a penchant for buying 10+ cylinder BMWs that have been neglected. Fits my sense of humor.

Thank you for sharing this. Very much a fan after the first hour. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
9/7/20 12:22 p.m.

Vice Grip Garage is a solid, funny watch with a whole lot of grassroots style repair at its core.  sort of an everyman channel, although its not a small fish anymore.

if you like overlanding, Venture4WD is great.  gorgeous B-roll photography, useful commentary and good shots of off road action.

Out Motorsports because its good people doing all kinds of car stuff to help get more folks into the car community, and thats worth supporting.

on  a personal note, i love to watch driving videos that are straight to the point.  good camera angle, no commentary, no music track, just the car, the road/track, and some really good sound.  hard to find those.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
9/7/20 12:22 p.m.

I have a suspicion that most of you might already know about Project Farm, but I just found it recently, and have been really enjoying the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2rzsm1Qi6N1X-wuOg_p0Ng

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
9/7/20 1:25 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

I like watching Homebuilt by Jeff.

I found his channel by accident and subscribed after watching a few videos.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/7/20 2:12 p.m.

Tyrrell's classic workshop has lots of high end restorations. 

Abom79 machine shop is interesting for me since I dont know about machining.

Windy Hill Foundry is just some old guy making stuff at his home built foundry.

Retropowercars is a great UK restomod shop.

Ratarossa is a guy that fixes derelict Ferraris in his garage. 

Will
Will UltraDork
9/7/20 2:32 p.m.

Steve1989MREInfo--there's something really soothing about watching a guy taste test MREs, especially when he's got a Bob Ross vibe.

LockPickingLawyer--Don't watch this one unless you're OK knowing that a lock is just security theater.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/7/20 2:57 p.m.
The0retical (Forum Supporter) said:

Yep!!!  Very good at what he does!!!  It has made me consider owning an 850 more than once. I also like his alter ego that shows up every now and then.  

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/7/20 3:09 p.m.

Aging Wheels has a Trabant, a bus that he's converting to a ramp truck motorhome, a broken electric car based on a knockoff Chinese clone of a Smart car, and also reviews other weird cars sometimes.

HelloRoad is one I found because he bought a $300 Ford Probe GT, and he has about 10 other cars in various states of hooptie-ness. He's really into 80s and 90s cars and is also part of the Liam Nissan lemons team.

AutoOccultist
AutoOccultist Reader
9/7/20 4:34 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Those are both some of my favorites.  Aging wheels is from the same metro area as me. One day I was over at my wifes cousins house and he says " hey do you watch aging wheels?". This was wierd because he has little interest in cars and at the time aging wheels was a rather small channel.  Turns out he was in one of the videos because they used to work together. Interesting small world thing for me.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/7/20 4:49 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

I watch Ratarossa too.  He DIY's all those Ferraris, crazy.  What really struck me is how poorly they seem to be built...

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/7/20 5:02 p.m.

I was looking for information on the SLK 55 AMG about a week ago and stumbled on Fully Planted. It's a very new channel, not even 100 subscribers at this instant, but the quality of the videos is impressive. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/7/20 8:48 p.m.

Not sure it's small but I enjoy some of haggertys videos. 

vice grip garage and 4wd 24/7 are my top two right now. It used to be aus4wd 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/7/20 10:36 p.m.

This thread is dangerous and irresponsible.  

Y'all are going to ruin me. 

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/7/20 10:59 p.m.

Indiana Diesel. Yes I picked the video that I was there for the filming of. Not even a good example of his content to be honest but there it is. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/8/20 9:07 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Keep yer dick in a vice and watch AvE: https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil

Oh man. I was interested in the toaster, but 2.5 minutes in and I couldn't stand his attempt at being funny, or whatever he was trying to do. He needs to turn the dial back from 182 to 7 on the wanna be clever meter and it could be a home run. It's like This Old Tony and Ace Ventura had a love child. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/8/20 10:38 a.m.

And don't forget ye olde GRM YouTubelaugh

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y7uRTrzaxJ8k04Bz8Bf1goJF9fPn2kuSGbQeJhLCVsPRv2UCQXAqznlbzg5TVYHB