bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
6/9/08 9:14 a.m.

I was browsing online this morning for a father's day gift - Dad's a former pilot and military history buff, particularly naval combat and aviation. I tripped across this, and as somebody who's had countless Haynes repair manuals over the years, I'm intrigued. I know that like me, some of you read shop manuals for entertainment. Dad's not particularly mechanically inclined, so I don't know if it is the right gift for him, but I'm tempted to get it for him anyway.

link for more info: http://www.amazon.com/Supermarine-Spitfire-Owners-Workshop-Manual/dp/1844254623/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213020089&sr=1-1

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
6/9/08 9:32 a.m.

If my old neighbor were still alive, I'd buy the Lancaster version for him, since he flew them extensively during and after WWII.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
6/9/08 10:21 a.m.

These are also available:

We have the Baby one, and there are colour photo examples of what you might find in a diaper, much like the usual Spark Plug reading guide.

Not sure what the photos would be in the first one though....

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
6/9/08 10:25 a.m.

Crap! If only they had published this one earlier:

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/08 10:30 a.m.

And all of the instructions for all of those start with "1. Disconnect the negative battery cable" and end with "Installation is the reverse of removal"

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
6/9/08 12:15 p.m.

Kind of neat, but the last thing I'd want to do is fly in a plane that had been repaired with the help of a Haynes manual...

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/9/08 12:23 p.m.

are you berklying E36 M3ing me, spitfire-cool, sex/babies/women, now my brain hurts

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
6/9/08 8:05 p.m.

I use one all the time to fix the Spitfires in my back yard.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
6/10/08 10:17 a.m.

Damn, I'll have to get one of those. Some times the Chiltons manual just isn't good enough.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
6/17/08 2:25 p.m.

I suppose a Haynes manual would be good if your garage isn't heated, you could burn it as firewood. I can't think of any other reasons to buy one, though.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/17/08 4:10 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: I suppose a Haynes manual would be good if your garage isn't heated, you could burn it as firewood. I can't think of any other reasons to buy one, though.

good to see Tommy's grown up right.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
6/18/08 8:30 a.m.

You will note that the "Sex" manual is right hand drive. (Is that a steering wheel in her lap, or is she just glad to see me?)

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
6/18/08 9:14 a.m.

Well, Dad LOVED the Spitfire book, so that was a winner.

While I understand Tommy's point, I've generally found the Haynes books to be useful - certainly better than nothing when a FSM is not readily available or cost prohibitive. I think we've become accustomed to all of the shared knowledge base on the interweb, but the Haynes books have their place.

And if the "Woman" manual has instructions for disconnecting the negative battery terminal, well....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GjdXVc6TuI2dAT6azpeLmDv2jEULpOuwbfvkNOLS0VJAgWvL1fRRPAyYiXqgEhMu