CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
12/15/12 10:11 a.m.

Unfortunately, not an auto upholstery question.....

I had a pipe burst in the kitchen and dumped a sink full of dirty dishwater on the couch below. Took the covers off the cushions and pillows and washed those - but how do I get the perceived nastiness out that soaked into cushions? Not sure going to town with a bottle of Resolve is the right answer so I thought I'd post it here.

Thanks, Keith

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
12/15/12 10:38 a.m.

SWMBO worked many water damages and sometimes even with their huge truck mount sometimes furniture would still be a write off. The rig they used I swear had enough suction to pull an elephant through a garden hose.

alex
alex UltraDork
12/15/12 11:47 a.m.

I'd suggest power washing it and drying it in the garage (or outside) with a bunch of fans pointed at it, if that's all still feasible with the weather in MD.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/15/12 5:30 p.m.

I would replace the batting/foam that is in the cushions just because it is pretty cheap to buy at a sewing or craft store. It is also fairly easy to re-upholster most furniture if it is mostly straight lines. If you look underneath they are often held together with staples. Just pull a line of staples, insert batting or foam of your choice, and re-staple. The only place it can get tricky is on the arms or around complex compound curves.

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
12/15/12 8:46 p.m.

The problem is, mine is not batting and foam - its foam and feathers.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/15/12 8:55 p.m.

The feathers are probably a write-off.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dF5C08j97q0gaULe13CyxrhJAVvGRrNhI8aGhm0aiqVxhwv9cQrPkfADLX3QDHjm