aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
4/22/10 5:31 p.m.

Looks like they are finalizing things. I know Corolla is out because of a TV show he is doing. Anyone know anything about these other guys (I am familiar with Foust)?

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/official-top-gear-hosts-.html

Official: 'Top Gear' coming to History this fall TOPGEAR It's official: “Top Gear” is crossing the pond. History is teaming with BBC Worldwide Prods. to launch a U.S. version of the series this fall. The network has made a 10-episode commitment to “Gear,” which showcases all-things automotive — customization, stunts, reviews and auto-centric celebrity interviews. History’s “Gear” will be hosted by comedian and “Rescue Me” co-star Adam Ferrara, stunt driver Tanner Foust and racing analyst Rutledge Wood. Scott Messick will executive produce. “The history of the automobile and the history of America are intimately intertwined — to celebrate one is to celebrate the other,” History president and GM Nancy Dubuc said. “We’ll stay true to the original format and add a sense of the American car culture.” “Top Gear” fits the History brand even better than one might expect. The network’s very first program to air on what was then called the History Channel was called “Automobiles: Corvette.” Car-related content has performed well on the channel, and History had several auto-related pilots in the works when it landed “Gear.” “We have a ready-made audience for this programming,” Dubuc said. “We can stay true to form on this show and explore the history of cars and driving.” “Top Gear” premiered in the U.K. in 1977, then relaunched in 2002 as a studio-based format. “Gear” is BBC Two’s most-watched program, and the brand has spun-off a magazine and road tour. NBC came close to doing a Stateside version in 2008. BBC Worldwide exec vp programming and production Jane Tranter said the U.S. version has the potential to be an even bigger hit than the original. “It will have a completely different landscape,” she said. “There’s a different relationship with cars in the U.S. and a fascination with customization that’s much greater than in the U.K. There’s the potential for the U.S. ‘Top Gear’ to have even greater traction with an audience.” The potential business upside for the show is significant as the auto industry is the largest advertiser in the world. Yet Tranter assures that fans need not to worry about heavy-handed product placement and that the show will remain editorially independent. Producers put considerable effort into casting the U.S. version, trying to find the right mix of hosts who would each bring a unique perspective yet mesh well together. “We tackled it like a drama series,” Tranter said. “We need to get that balance of chemistry right from the get-go.
driver109x
driver109x Reader
4/22/10 6:29 p.m.

Eh I don't know...ill definitly watch it but I still think it will end up to be just like the other US car shows.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
4/22/10 8:24 p.m.

Rutledge Wood is on the Speed NASCAR coverage all the time.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/22/10 9:03 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: Rutledge Wood is on the Speed NASCAR coverage all the time.

According to the all-knowing Wikipedia he's a fellow UGA grad. No, I didn't know him.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
4/22/10 9:21 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
According to the all-knowing Wikipedia he's a fellow UGA grad. No, I didn't know him.

UGA? 2nd tier sports program in the SEC, don't know much about them

Well it will be interesting, I'll def watch as there's not a whole lot on TV now that interest me.

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
4/22/10 10:25 p.m.

Foust and Ferrara I can handle, but Rutledge's antics on Speed I find annoying.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/22/10 10:53 p.m.

I just hope it has a different name. But if it is on History, I can get to watch it

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
4/22/10 11:03 p.m.

Too bad about Corolla. I like his somewhat Clarkson-ish qualities.

novaderrik
novaderrik New Reader
4/23/10 2:12 a.m.

Rutledge? really? "look at me i'm a silly fat guy with spiky hair" Rutledge? oh, god.. it's gonna suck.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
4/23/10 6:43 a.m.

Reason #1 why I predict failure for this show.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
4/23/10 8:44 a.m.
“We tackled it like a drama series,” Tranter said. “We need to get that balance of chemistry right from the get-go.

This alone offers a glimmer of hope. The important thing to remember about Top Gear is it's entertainment first, factual content second. The original TG is successful because they've never let pesky little facts get in the way of telling a funny story.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/23/10 8:46 a.m.

I sense that there is no need for me to Tivo that at all. Even the real, actual Top Gear is a little flat lately but I imagine this new one to be epic failure.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
4/23/10 8:56 a.m.

I like the formula that UK top gear has going now, where it's more about doing neat/fun stuff with cars rather than just another show that reviews cars. I like the "races", goofy challenges, and all that stuff no matter how staged or scripted it may be. That said, if they try to make another UK top gear clone (see: top gear australia/russia for how this can fail) it won't work at all. I especially don't think it will work in an advertising driven environment where everything is the best car ever (see: Motor Weak).

Kia_racer
Kia_racer Reader
4/23/10 9:08 a.m.

I'll give it a try. You have to give it time to see what direction it goes.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
4/23/10 10:09 a.m.
Kia_racer wrote: I'll give it a try. You have to give it time to see what direction it goes.

+! I am not hopefully but maybe we will get surprised.

angusmf
angusmf Reader
4/23/10 11:23 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
“We tackled it like a drama series,” Tranter said. “We need to get that balance of chemistry right from the get-go.
This alone offers a glimmer of hope. The important thing to remember about Top Gear is it's entertainment first, factual content second. The original TG is successful because they've never let pesky little facts get in the way of telling a funny story.

Has anyone else noticed how they barely bother to hide what's been faked or set-up these days? A few years ago, you might notice something fishy every now and then, but lately, it really IS like a drama (or sitcom,) acting and all.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
4/23/10 12:39 p.m.
skruffy wrote: I like the formula that UK top gear has going now, where it's more about doing neat/fun stuff with cars rather than just another show that reviews cars. I like the "races", goofy challenges, and all that stuff no matter how staged or scripted it may be. That said, if they try to make another UK top gear clone (see: top gear australia/russia for how this can fail) it won't work at all. I especially don't think it will work in an advertising driven environment where everything is the best car ever (see: Motor Weak).

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have a feeling this one will turn into programming like "Horsepower TV" or whatever. Where it's little more than thinly veiled extended advertisments for products.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
4/23/10 3:04 p.m.
angusmf wrote: Has anyone else noticed how they barely bother to hide what's been faked or set-up these days? A few years ago, you might notice something fishy every now and then, but lately, it really IS like a drama (or sitcom,) acting and all.

I think this might be by design. The show has never been meant to be taken seriously. They freely admit that. Yet some people seemed to miss that. Again, I'll paraphrase a Clarkson quote from a few seasons ago:

"We've just been presented with an TV award for "Best Factual Show" ...which is quite astonishing since we haven't uttered a fact in the past 5 years... "

I view the US version with guarded optimism.

EP3CivicSi
EP3CivicSi New Reader
4/23/10 5:11 p.m.

Like everyone is saying...I'm a car guy so I will obviously tune in, but if they try and be THE U.S. version of U.K. Top Gear, its going to piss us all off and turn most of us off to it. I'm open minded enough to give it a try, I just love car stuff...

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
4/23/10 9:13 p.m.

yes, because we all see how well Aussie Top Gear, German Top Gear, and Russian Top Gear worked out. Oh, they were cancelled? .... well then, bad analogy.

Our Preferred Partners
IxCBwKGusRLSjz47LcsjrWuHDkVLuqmONu6k2ilhrYS1lhns2IAZEExumkuNSXzx