1 2
aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/16/08 3:56 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Hell, if the show tanks he'll go back to building houses....

Tanks, tanks.... Hey! that's a hell of an idea! Isn't there a guy in Northern California with a collection of tanks! Now that would be an interesting show. Bring along a few Exhibitions and Suburbans and see who the "real" road king is!

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/16/08 4:01 p.m.

Tug-of-War

See which vehicle's engine explodes first.

AutoXchick
AutoXchick New Reader
6/16/08 4:43 p.m.

Ugh - If Stromer is just there for "eye candy" they could have done much, much better...

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/16/08 11:04 p.m.

I'm STUNNED by the Eric Stromer thing. Stunned.

He'll definitely be int he Capt Slow role (as previously mentioned), but he's very shticky.

My, this just keeps getting worse...

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/08 12:26 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: The producers approached me for the role of Fat American Stig. I was insulted at the fat reference and turned it down cold. I am obese, not fat!

I'm still waiting for my call. Does anyone know where they keep the "Husky" firesuits?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/08 6:02 a.m.

Omars in Sarasota.

AudiMike
AudiMike Reader
6/17/08 3:47 p.m.

I know nothing of Eric Stromer, hopefully he knows something about cars. Heck if he can build a good garage then I guess they have somewhere to put the cars they are talking about.

I will have to wait for the show to air before real judgement is given.

Mike K

SupraWes
SupraWes HalfDork
6/17/08 4:08 p.m.

James May is not a car guy either so I guess it makes sense.

Josh
Josh Reader
6/17/08 4:09 p.m.

I'm pretty sure Stromer was Adam's choice. He is a regular guest on Adam's radio show doing a call-in segment on home repair. They play off each other well on the radio, so I'm not as stunned by the choice as some of you. Although I hope he knows more about cars than I am expecting. But of course, before Top Gear, Hammond had no automotive resume, so maybe he will be fine. Or maybe the other guys will just make fun of nature boy and his Hybrid.

The one thing I really hope they don't skimp on is the cinematography. That's what really elevates Top Gear above every other motoring show for me, the chance to see really beautiful pictures of really beautiful cars. I think this is a big part of its appeal to non-car-guys who probably wouldn't watch any other car show. If they keep that part true to the BBC show, I think it has a good chance. But I worry that they'll totally forget about that and shoot it as blandly as a typical american reality show.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
6/17/08 4:11 p.m.

I am just hoping Wyotech can stay out of it...

scotaku
scotaku New Reader
6/17/08 4:26 p.m.

Grape juice doesn't just become wine overnight. Top Gear hasn't become what it is without maturing (sic) either.

The trouble is, as I see it, NBC thinks they have a captive audience of 'net savvy, American, Top Gear fans whom they are hoping to cash in on. The marketing people are already pounding the keys most likely pointing at the number of forum threads and blogs merely mentioning the "buzz" about an American version of the show. I can vision other BBC program imports being name-dropped like candy from a piñata. The Office... Whose Line... Coupling... And we'll get another hour long 3 minutes of content interrupted by 7 minutes of commercials. If that.

A large portion of the appeal of the vintage Top Gear is the presenters and NBC has a snowball's chance in Hell of avoiding the comparisons. The audience they're trying to court can not nor will not resist it. And therein lays the problem...

Adam Corolla may own a Datsun 510, but he's been on radio and tv long enough now for most of us to already know his schtick. And have grown tired of it. Like I said in another US Top Gear thread, it'll be Danica Patrick on trampolines.

A lot of have seen enough of Tanner Foust to have accurately boxed him up with the drifter wannabes. Few if no one is buying the "experience" his resume/blurb is attempting to sell. Of the fistful of Supercars Exploit... er... Exposed episodes, I've seen the irresponsible little prick get ticketed four times for speeding. This is entertainment?

Leaving us with the pretty boy carpenter from the quasi-reality home improvement, design shows our wives and girlfriends watch. He makes us squirm because our ladies sigh wishing we'd do some of that stuff around the house but we don't want window-box bench seats, tree branches approximating a headboard, nor stenciled cherubs on the walls around an armoire made of recycled freight pallets. He does all this stuff with a smile... and immediately sets off the gaydar.

So no, grape juice doesn't magically become wine. The gamble is whether or not they can serve up a juice worth trying to make into something special. My expectations are low and I am not holding my breath hoping to be surprised.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
6/17/08 4:38 p.m.
scotaku wrote: ...it'll be Danica Patrick on trampolines...

Make it Milka Duno, and I'm in...

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
6/17/08 5:29 p.m.
Mental wrote:
scotaku wrote: ...it'll be Danica Patrick on trampolines...
Make it Milka Duno, and I'm in...

Yeah, shes a little more "Trampoline Worthy" than Danica.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/17/08 11:06 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Yeah, shes a little more "Trampoline Worthy" than Danica.

Well, I'd be glad to give her a bounce!!!

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/18/08 1:11 a.m.

I'm psyched...last I heard the deal fell through, apparently that was bad info. Adam is one of my favorite personalities and if there's any mainstream car guy that has the gonads to tell it like it is, I think he's it. It's not like he got where he is by being a sweet talker and charming sponsors. I hadn't ever even seen this guy #3. Even a bad copy of Top Gear would be better than 90% of the car shows out there, but a good version would be fantastic.

Bryce

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QxoS8mvr8yC9HilvoVyV0BmnXZrMkjoHtJoCNHkcmvJD0F5gbNDeQcguKCfv4sP7