joey48442
joey48442 Dork
7/12/08 12:33 p.m.

Found a very nice Mk II for about $250. And a new Mk III for about $300. Alot of folks like the Mk II better, according to the internets. Any one else have an opinion, assuming the Mk II is "Like new" and the Mk III is new?

Joey

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/12/08 1:33 p.m.

I have a Ruger or two, but not that one. When I was shooting 22 NRA Metalic Silouette competitively (I use a Contender), people that shot Rugers said that you either got one that was accurate or you got one that wasn't, and there was no way to tell without taking it to the range and trying it. One guy bought one at a high end gun shop, paying extra, specifically so that he could bring it back if he got one that didn't group. The one he got didn't group and they exchanged it for him, no problem. The next one shot great. They say that it was like that for every Ruger from the inexpensive 22's up to the #1's. They had some kind of barrel QC issue.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
7/12/08 3:58 p.m.

I have a Mk III, and my dad has a Mk II. I like the Mk II better.

scottgib
scottgib New Reader
7/12/08 5:42 p.m.

Browning Buckmark

stroker
stroker New Reader
7/12/08 7:38 p.m.

I had a Mark 2 22/45. I like the Mark 2 as they don't use unique magazines like the Mark 3.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/12/08 8:13 p.m.

I'm partial to the Mark II, but I believe that the Mark III comes predrilled for mounting optics, which is nice if you expect to go down that road.

Few parts, including magazines and grips, are interchangable between the II and the III.

No Ruger .22 automatic is complete without the Ultimate Cliploader. Get one and bring lots of ammo.

http://www.gunblast.com/Cliploader.htm

mpolans
mpolans New Reader
7/13/08 4:06 p.m.

Mark II. None of the changes to make it a Mark III were all that great. Plus, there are a lot more Mark II magazines floating around, so they'll be cheaper than Mark III mags.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
7/19/08 10:57 a.m.

Just found a MKII, Target model, Stainless, bull barrel, I think its about 5 inches, though Im not sure. Had the case, two mags and all its literature. Very good condition, I think it was built in 94. 250 bucks, seemed like a good deal. Im happy!

Joey

Woodyhfd
7/19/08 12:27 p.m.

Excellent choice. The barrel's probably 5 1/2 inches. That's my favorite stock barrel for the Mark II.

Check out: https://www.volquartsen.com/ and http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RSC&Category_Code=VC2

and get the Ultimate Cliploader!

JohnGalt
JohnGalt New Reader
7/19/08 3:52 p.m.

You know i have been asking my self this same question lately as i have been wanting to get a 22 pistol. Sadly i know nothing about pistols. The MKIII and the MKII were 2 of the guns i looked at, also looked at a buckmark, and whatever 22 sig makes. Are the Beretta 22s any good? I shoot Beretta shotguns and have a very high option of Beretta in general. But i do not know if their quality extends to their pistols.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
7/20/08 10:46 a.m.
JohnGalt wrote: You know i have been asking my self this same question lately as i have been wanting to get a 22 pistol. Sadly i know nothing about pistols. The MKIII and the MKII were 2 of the guns i looked at, also looked at a buckmark, and whatever 22 sig makes. Are the Beretta 22s any good? I shoot Beretta shotguns and have a very high option of Beretta in general. But i do not know if their quality extends to their pistols.

I did alot of searching, and the Ruger 22 seems to be the Miata of the pistol world: Just buy one, now, your going to eventually! Besides, the prices were comparable, if not slightly higher than most of the other lines of gun, and every gun shop employee would refer to the one they owned.

Joey

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/20/08 11:29 a.m.

What are your thoughts on colt woodsman? I have a series 1 woodsman and IIRC a series 2 or 3 woodsman (I also have a mk1 ruger)

the series 1 woodsman is limited to standard velocity ammo, but seems to be a better target pistol to me (a ton less trigger pull and far superior sights) I havent really gotten around to shooting the later woodsman (inherited it more recently)

the do find that the ruger is a PITA to disassemble.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
7/20/08 3:49 p.m.

Disassembly of a Ruger isn't that big a deal once you've done it a few times.

mpolans
mpolans New Reader
7/23/08 7:04 p.m.

Woodsmans are okay. Mine has gotten a little finicky (probably a weakened recoil spring). They're collectible and parts are little harder to find, so for plinking, I prefer a Ruger Mk II. My favorite would be a Ruger Mk II Government Model with a 6 7/8" barrel. There are a lot of accessories you can buy for a Mk II...wide triggers, better grips, drop-in lighter trigger pull kids, target sights, red dot scope mounts, etc. Some of the Berettas look okay, but for plinking, I'd go with the Mk II. For serious target shooting (Bullseye, Rapid Fire Pistol, Standard Pistol, Sport Pistol, etc) I'd go with a Pardini SP.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/24/08 8:13 a.m.

My wife has one of these:

She picked up every 22 at the big Houston show of about 2K tables. The right gun will "feel right" when you pick it up. When she picked up that one, that's what she wanted. "Oh yeah, that's it." Of course it was the most expensive 22 there.

I saw one of those new Baretta 22s at the Pawn/Gun shop a couple years ago. I looked into them and the reviews I read said they shot about 4 MOA. That's OK for a plinker, but won't cut it for competition. At 100 yards shooting at basically a 11"x14" target standing with a handgun, 4 inches is a lot of slop. My wife's High Standard will do much better than that, as will my Contender.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett New Reader
7/24/08 8:20 a.m.
billy3esq wrote: Disassembly of a Ruger isn't that big a deal once you've done it a few times.

Agreed, remember to tip the gun up to re-assemble and close the main spring. TIP: I use a shoe lace to pull it open and save my fingers ( and not scratch the gun.

As one other wrote: Just buy one, you will sooner or later.

Here's how old I am... I bought my first Ruger 22 for $49 .. through the mail!

But that was after the logo went from red to black in memory of Strum's early death.

That's right me and Moses.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
7/25/08 7:32 a.m.

Way back in the eraly 1970s, I waffled between a Ruger with 6" bull barrel and Browning Challenger with 4" reg barrel. I finally went with the Browning. Really nice pistolo, I just need to find somewhere to shoot it. It hasn't been fired in the 22 years I've been in Spartanburg.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
7/25/08 11:18 a.m.

I disassembled the Ruger, and I think I got it back together right. It wasnt to awfully bad. Im just worried that I reassembled it correctly...Is it one of those things where it is right, or it wouldnt have gone back together?

Joey

Woodyhfd
7/26/08 7:50 a.m.
joey48442 wrote: I disassembled the Ruger, and I think I got it back together right. It wasnt to awfully bad. Im just worried that I reassembled it correctly...Is it one of those things where it is right, or it wouldnt have gone back together? Joey

If you got it wrong, you won't be able to pull the bolt back. I've done it hundred of times and I still get it wrong about 25% of the time.

As an indicator of whether or not you're getting it right, when you put the mainspring housing back in, make sure that the tip of the hammer strut is BEHIND the crossbar (it's shown in your manual). If it is correct, when you close mainspring housing (but before you close the latch), spring pressure should push the mainspring housing back out about a quarter of an inch from the backstrap of the pistol. If it closes super easy and stays that way before it's latched shut, odds are that you got it wrong. It gets easier with practice.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FcGjndToQEQnlt1D43lAJ8DlPjrweOICfQJ9iWqi6sgr0gKzAXJ60eimsSNeMiSs