NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/31/22 12:04 p.m.

I have seen a couple of posts about used car pricing and how to best place an ad so I am asking for some guidance before I list my truck. I saw John Welsh had a similar post for one of his Prius' and there is the Humor me on local pricing post. I don't want to thread jack so I will start a new one.

I am looking to upgrade to a truck that has more towing capacity than my suburban so I want to sell. Does the hive have an opinion on asking price? I am looking for the CL or FBM price that makes sense, not the GRM buddy price. I know with a vehicle this old there may be significant range. I am open to both price guidance and writing the ad help. Here is the ad that I wrote and a couple pics:

1995 Chevrolet Suburban

This is a really well kept truck that spent most of it’s early life in Texas. It has been driven in 1 winter (3 years ago). It was Crown Rust proofed before that winter.

LS package includes, power windows, power door locks, front and rear AC, cruise, tilt, power drivers seat, leather, 3rd row seating, tow package, new Tekonsha Voyager trailer brake controller, remote start, and JVC touch screen radio with back up camera and Apple Car Play. I have also upgraded the Master Cylinder and replaced the headlights and taillights with Stock style replacements.

This year replaced rear AC lines and serviced AC. New wheels and tires. Wheels are Vision Gun Metal 141 Legend 5 Wheel and tires are 235/75R-15 COOPER EVOLUTION H/T XL. The tires and wheels have ~3,000 miles on them since installation. Very reliable truck. This year I have driven it to Connecticut, and North Carolina with no issues.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/31/22 12:20 p.m.

How many miles?  Which engine?  2 wheel or 4wheel?

I found the best way to price was to just try to go out to CL, FB and any sites like Autotrader and just try to buy them same/similar in your 200 mile area.  

Since this is a rust free example, living up north, you might even want to compare the pricing to vehicles as much as 10 years newer (but northern trucks.)

NY Nick
1/31/22 12:26 p.m.

Wow, all good questions and points and fairly stupid of me to forget those details:

2wd

159K miles

L05 (350 TBI)

The pricing part has me bewildered. Most of the GMT400's around here are rotted, southern ones vary wildly in price and condition. The GMT 800's are totally different trucks with the 5.3 or 6.0. I will do an autotrader search and see what I get.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/31/22 12:27 p.m.

I guess my above words are for comparing daily driver to daily driver, but...

The GM400 market is heating up fast.  As a 1995, this is a 27 year old Suburban.  If you think your truck represents something that is or could be further "restored" then make you price comparisons to any GM400s of similar age and spec.  Dig into ebay as well and set your search area greater than 200 miles from your NY home.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/31/22 12:29 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

GMT800 may be different  and even better but it sucks to spend big money in NY State to just get a crappy, rusty "better GMT800."  The smart buyer might spend the same on a rust free GMT400 that nets him really a better vehicle that is still capable of doing all the GMT800 can do.  

If your NY buyer wants a clean GMT400 hes gonna have to go to Atlanta or FL and get it himself.  That will cost him $1k in travel/tow and open him to a lot of "worry."  The smart buyer might be willing to pay "too much" if that means he can easily "stay home" and see the car in person before buying.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/31/22 12:34 p.m.

There are a lot of leaves in the pictures you have shown.  That makes me thing the pics are old and not representative of what the car looks like today.  If selling today, use pictures taken today.  

If the truck is "stored" and you can't get good pictures at least mention that and humor me with a few pictures showing/prooving that it is currently stored.  

NY Nick
1/31/22 12:35 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I agree, I did the same thing when I bought it 3 years ago. Paid a little more than it was "worth" because it was here and rust free. 

Thanks for the advice, you always have some good insight.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/31/22 12:43 p.m.

That's not a truck, that's a gold mine!

I suspect it's worth more than you would reasonably expect.  Good luck!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/31/22 1:28 p.m.

Don't fall totally in love with it. New York salt will eat it ALIVE.

NY Nick
1/31/22 2:18 p.m.

I did the "John Welsh method" smiley. The bottom is the average of the price and mileage.

It has not been in NY winters for the most part. It was in for 3 months of 1 winter a few years ago. GMT400's are allergic to salt.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/31/22 2:26 p.m.

Since the salt/rust situation is going to be a major draw for this vehicle, make sure you supply good pictures of the current condition of the underside.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
1/31/22 2:42 p.m.

Pre '96 GMT400's are worth less, the Vortec and OBDII and upgraded interior nudge up prices a bit.  Although the 95's were pretty nice inside.  The early GMT400 had kindof a goofy interior/ gauge/ radio setup.

2WD is a pretty big negative.  I'd say 20% less.

The interior on that is IMACULANT (sic).  Un-cracked GMT400 leather is unheard of.  Or GMT800 for that matter.

2500 and full tons go for more money.  They're in pretty big demand.  1500's have their own market, though.

A couple of points for comparison:  Last year I sold a crew cab dually 4x4 with TBI 454 and a 5 speed for $5000.  The interior was really rough, and it was dented but not rusty.

Just before Covid we bought a 1999 GMT400 Suburban 2500, Vortec 350, 4x4, and cloth, 160k miles.  Looks similar to yours in condition.  Paid $5800.  When we were shopping I noted that decent 1500's were about 20% less. 

Based on your location, I wouldn't think you'd be out of line asking somewhere in the mid-high 4 figure range.  I'd say $7500 if you're looking to generate interest and move it expeditiously, or $9000 if you want to wring every buck you can out of it. 

NY Nick
1/31/22 2:43 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Very true. I have those, I wasn't trying to make a for sale thread so I held back a bunch of pics. There is one rust spot on the truck and I have a close up of that too. It is in the middle of a panel and there is no rust on the rockers or other parts. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/31/22 3:53 p.m.

I like the spreadsheet.  To expand on that, maybe do another on GMT400 crew cab trucks that are nicer than most in your area.  They're a genuine comparison shop item.  

NY Nick
1/31/22 4:07 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Thanks for the input. There is one tiny crack on the drivers seat so it isn't perfect but the interior is very solid. I agree about the 4wd and the 2500 pricing premium. I personally prefer a gmt400 to be 2wd because of how I use it but I am the minority. I was thinking asking price between $6-8k so you are thinking I am not way out of line. I am actually looking to go crew cab dually, preferably gmt800. I don't need that much to tow my little camper but I have a deep seeded love of dually's.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uzK2IWknuAYdgQ2dMYMqkw7L32UHwjUOhDiftJ0aaC9zel6zZXb0J2ppNZIISpwK