1 2 3 4
16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
1/21/09 9:13 a.m.

I knew some Canadians back in high school, and they used to say "aboat" instead of "about". I don't remember where in canada they were from, but Calgary rings a bell.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/09 9:14 a.m.

I think the "oot and aboot" thing is something only Americans can hear. When I first moved to the US, people would pick out the Canadian accent on the phone almost immediately. But I could never hear a difference myself.

The accent gets stronger as you go east. Until you get to Newfoundland, which is the result of leaving a bunch of Irish on a rock in the Atlantic by themselves for a couple of centuries.

And yes, "pro-jects". And "dekals". And "skiDOO".

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/21/09 9:17 a.m.

And all Canadians have these hinges on the back of their head:

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/09 9:33 a.m.

I'm a card-carrying Canuck as well

The only place you hear people with the "aboot" accent is the middle of nowhere...It's sort of the Canadian equivalent of the nearly-incomprehensible deep south accent. I've only heard it once myself.

clownkiller
clownkiller New Reader
1/21/09 9:46 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
There's just no way to be a jerk when you have a Canadian accent. jg
Just how hard do I have to try to break this stereotype. It looks like I'm going to have to step it up a few notches at the Challenge this year. I'm proud of Canada for this: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/19/ayers-turned-away-canada-immigration-officials/
mtn
mtn Dork
1/21/09 9:52 a.m.

I've played hockey and been around a lot of Canadians compared to the average American. From what I've heard (mostly farm-boys that moved here), there is a lot of "Aboots" and "Aboats". There is a distinct difference depending on where they are from, but i don't know where gives which accent.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
1/21/09 10:05 a.m.

Worked with and for Canukastainians for the last decade or so. Only met one jerk, and the other Canukatsanians hate him as well, so thats pretty good.

The "Aboat" thing is telling. I do here that a lot, especially when they start hanging with each other for extended periods, like us rednecks and our accents start feeding of each other. Not to many "A-boots" though.

Fans of good funny Candian stuff should be DVRing "Corner Gas" on WGN

clownkiller wrote:
JG Pasterjak wrote:
There's just no way to be a jerk when you have a Canadian accent. jg
Just how hard do I have to try to break this stereotype. It looks like I'm going to have to step it up a few notches at the Challenge this year. I'm proud of Canada for this: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/19/ayers-turned-away-canada-immigration-officials/

I don't think its a function of the accent, its just the nature of a good Canadian to share a beer. Anyone who shares a beer really can't be a jerk.

You are one of the most beer-sharingist guys at the Challenge, and thats saying something.

As much as you would want to be a jerk, in the end, you'll still let someone snag some of your Natty Light, and anyone that has issue with you after that will get painted as a jerk, while you will still be "a pre-tea guud feller."

Duke
Duke Dork
1/21/09 12:04 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: I've lived in Canada all my live and have never met a single person who says "aboot". It's "about" and I have no idea where you 'mericans got that idea.

One of my college professors was from Toronto, and he always said "aboot", though he usually managed to stifle the "eh?"s. I had the guy for class 12 hours a week for an entire school year - he wasn't faking the accent.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/21/09 12:12 p.m.
Mental said: You are one of the most beer-sharingist guys at the Challenge, and thats saying something.

Tattoedwelder (another canadian...duh) takes the trophy on this one, for handing me 3/4 of a berkeleying JUG of Crown and saying "Merry berkeleying Christmas. I don't wanna pay the taxes, eh?"

My hero.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
1/21/09 1:40 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Mental said: You are one of the most beer-sharingist guys at the Challenge, and thats saying something.
Tattoedwelder (another canadian...duh) takes the trophy on this one, for handing me 3/4 of a berkeleying JUG of Crown and saying "Merry berkeleying Christmas. I don't wanna pay the taxes, eh?" My hero.

Where the berkeley was I?

Mental
Mental SuperDork
1/21/09 1:53 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Tattoedwelder (another canadian...duh) takes the trophy on this one, for handing me 3/4 of a berkeleying JUG of Crown and saying "Merry berkeleying Christmas. I don't wanna pay the taxes, eh?" My hero.

See! Thats what a true Canadian does! and there are few truer Canadians than Tom.

16vCorey wrote: Where the berkeley was I?

Recovering from drinking too much whiskey the night before.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
1/21/09 1:56 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:

See! Thats what a true Canadian does! and there are few truer Canadians than Tom. The Right Honourable Steven Harper calls him for advice on how to be more Canadian. The TV show Due South was based on Tom, but they figured as glamourous as welding is, it didn't make for exiciting TV, so they made him a Mountie. The Ice Road Truckers have to use that camera angle from the cab so that no one see the picture of Tom they all keep for inspration...you know..royalties and all.

16vCorey wrote: Where the berkeley was I?

Recovering from drinking too much whiskey the night before.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
1/21/09 5:38 p.m.
Keith wrote: I think the "oot and aboot" thing is something only Americans can hear. When I first moved to the US, people would pick out the Canadian accent on the phone almost immediately. But I could never hear a difference myself.

Most people can't/don't hear their own accents. I don't hear mine (which is a fairly subtle central Texas accent) when I'm at home, but sometimes I can when I'm in the Northeast (e.g., Massachusetts) or when I'm talking to a non-native speaker (of either English or Texan ).

Keith
1/21/09 6:48 p.m.

I just had someone tell me on the phone that I sound like a hockey player. So maybe some of it is still there :)

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
1/21/09 6:50 p.m.
mw wrote: What about those Canadian Geese that took out that airplane? Damn Canadians

They were Canada geese. Canadian would denote citizenship, which, I am fairly certain, the kooks in Ottawa haven't granted to an entire species yet.

Oh, and before anyone thinks that I hate the Canadian gov't, well, I hate most politicians (those that I don't hate, well, I haven't met them yet, so I'm witholding my opinion... for now.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
1/21/09 7:47 p.m.

I was reserving a hotel room in Vegas last year (don't ask why a 19 year old goes to Vegas, and my god I had JUST as much fun as everybody that was legal there ) and the first thing the lady on the phone says, "Are you from Canada?"

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
1/21/09 7:56 p.m.

Don't even start me on accents, you guys calling the lower states southern, its not even the Southern Hemisphere ....bloody yanks

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/21/09 8:18 p.m.

Watch who you're callin' a Yank.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/21/09 8:27 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Watch who you're callin' a Yank.

Yeah, watch who yer callin a Yank. We might not be able to enunciate, but at least we Suthunuhs know better than to eat Cream of Wheat.

Keith
1/21/09 8:54 p.m.

To an Aussie, every American is a Yank.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/21/09 8:58 p.m.

We lose more Aussies that way.

NGTD
NGTD HalfDork
1/21/09 9:51 p.m.

Canadian fellow here!

I played golf with a bunch of guys from New York City one time and I was pretty sure that they were not speaking english. No one around here (North Bay, ON) says "aboot".

BTW all y'all (plural) is only said in some states. In others y'all is like You (both singular and plural). This was explained to me by a person from Charlotte NC.

Lieutenant is "Lef-ten-ant"

Mental
Mental SuperDork
1/21/09 9:53 p.m.
Keith wrote: To an Aussie, every American is a Yank.

Fair enough, but do realize calling those of us from the correct side of the Mason Dixon line (that would be Southern US for you) "Yanks" is equivelant to folks calling you a Brit.

Yeah, its that bad.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/21/09 9:54 p.m.

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I'll stand up for grits. And I'm from New York.

Keith
1/21/09 10:01 p.m.

Not a Yankee, a Yank. Aussies don't waste syllables in my experience. Nor do they necessarily bow to political correctness.

And calling a Canadian a Brit isn't a huge insult, BTW. It's a little odd - we don't talk anything like them, even though we agree with their spelling choices - but we do share a queen and we're part of the Commonwealth. I get your point though.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lkzs4rldjZUqs4yboV4VrowJQgdFriSxP7GVe3UoaffBMrMYRpSMCWfts44oRX43