1 2 3
Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/21 5:14 a.m.

For my parents 40th, did something like that in the Durango, CO, area, with families spread out among several cabins and casitas. Plenty of local activities plus visits to the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/6/21 5:19 a.m.

You could do a small old style family resort in Minnesota or Wisconsin.  Little cabins so eveyrone gets their own small space is a plus. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/21 6:22 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

You could do a small old style family resort in Minnesota or Wisconsin.  Little cabins so eveyrone gets their own small space is a plus. 

Nobody puts Baby in a corner!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/6/21 6:34 a.m.
jgrewe said:

My family did a meet up in Pigeon Forge, Tn.  Most of us could do without the miles of tourist stuff along the main strip but it is close to Gatlinburg and Smokey Mtn Nat Park.  We found a "cabin" that slept 12 or 14 people, in reality it was a 3 story log cabin on a nice sloped lot with woods behind it.  The whole street was individually owned vacation homes and you could book a few and all be within walking distance of each other.

We spent days hiking and evenings eating and drinking. Groups split off and did different activities and nobody from 12 years old to 85 was ever bored.

Here is the place

https://www.vrbo.com/2448049?adultsCount=10&childrenCount=2&noDates=true&unitId=3016510

Something along these lines is going to be the only way you are going to satisfy such a large group.

I'd recommend the Keys, but going there in the middle of hurricane season is kinda silly.  Be a nice break from the cold to go there in the fall/winter though

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/6/21 6:36 a.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

Yellow Stone national park and nearby Grand Tetons.  Beautiful

This. Arches, moab, etc in the Colorado/utah area. Everything you could want for every age.

Its my happy place. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/6/21 6:48 a.m.

We recently did something like this. 

We rented 5 different AirBnBs in close proximity to each other. One was lakefront (with boat and toys and about a dozen outdoor seating areas). 2 had pools. 

We gathered together for most of the day, sometimes in different places and different sized groups.  We divided up the meal responsibilities. 

The best part of this arrangement was the ability to get away from each other at the end of the day. A bit of time to unwind. It prepped us for more activity the next day, and avoided stresses and short tempers. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/6/21 6:51 a.m.

My grandparents did something similar back in the 80's for their 50th.  We all stayed at some time-share place in the NC hills.  I don't think we were there for a week, though as I don't think my mother could get that much time off work (my father didn't go). While I was a tenn at the time, I honestly have very little memory of it other than the big group picture taken at one point.  At the time, most of the family was on the East Coast so western NC was fairly central.  Pretty sure everyone drove to the location.

My main take-away is to make sure there is some flexibility to the itinerary in case some folks can't attend for the entire week.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
10/6/21 6:56 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

Yellow Stone national park and nearby Grand Tetons.  Beautiful

This. Arches, moab, etc in the Colorado/utah area. Everything you could want for every age.

Its my happy place. 

Took my family ( eight of us ) there this summer:

Edit:  There's a Lodge in the center of Yellowstone near Old Faithful, that should be able to accomodate your group.  No idea about $$$, but it would be by far the most convenient location.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/21 7:04 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Our last big trip like this was 10 years ago to the Turks and Caicos. It's a pretty area. 

We stayed here. The family is a little bigger now. 

This is Mother's House. It's for sale if you are interested for $14.5M. Linky

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
10/6/21 7:07 a.m.

We are pulling a family vacation together for 18+ people at Thanksgiving, in the Outer Banks.  It will be our last family trip together with our parents health declining.   There are homes there that can easily accommodate 35 people, it's a beach, historic landmarks like Wright Bros are nearby etc.

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/6/21 7:11 a.m.

Two places I would suggest based on your criteria. 
Asheville, NC area. 
or Old Forge, NY. 

I think with a group that big you may be in the multiple air BNB game. I have a friend that rents a house on 4th lake every year. It holds around a dozen people but the house is part of three houses that are all the same size and share a lakefront lot. 

I hope you find a great place!

Toyman01 + Sized and
10/6/21 7:15 a.m.

In reply to JesseWolfe :

The problem with the beach is we might as well stay home. My parent's house will sleep 25 and with a couple of RVs everyone fits. It's on the water on an island in South Carolina. Inland people always want to go to the coast. Those of us from the coast would rather go just about anywhere else. 

No Time
No Time SuperDork
10/6/21 7:22 a.m.
JesseWolfe said:

We are pulling a family vacation together for 18+ people at Thanksgiving, in the Outer Banks.  It will be our last family trip together with our parents health declining.   There are homes there that can easily accommodate 35 people, it's a beach, historic landmarks like Wright Bros are nearby etc.

My sister did something similar for her wedding. 

They were able to rent two  houses right next to each other for 35-40 people (total). They each had a pool, hot tub, and beach access.

Plenty of space for everyone and they set up sleeping arrangements so one house was quiet earlier for the people with small kids or that just didn't stay up late, and the other was for the people that stayed up late. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
10/6/21 7:39 a.m.

Here's a link to the Lodge in Yellowstone:

https://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/lodgings/hotel/old-faithful-inn/

Looks really cool:

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
10/6/21 7:41 a.m.

What about a lake house or one of the many resorts in Traverse City / Belaire?  Really pretty - different - rustic but lots to do.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
10/6/21 7:46 a.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

In reply to JesseWolfe :

The problem with the beach is we might as well stay home. My parent's house will sleep 25 and with a couple of RVs everyone fits. It's on the water on an island in South Carolina. Inland people always want to go to the coast. Those of us from the coast would rather go just about anywhere else. 

Yeah...My mother in law does a Charleston, SC (Folly Beach) trip for a week every year but I didn't mention that sort of thing because I know it's your backyard.  

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
10/6/21 7:50 a.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

Here's a link to the Lodge in Yellowstone:

https://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/lodgings/hotel/old-faithful-inn/

That one looked really cool...and there's another one on the lake (Yellowstone Lake) that looked cool and would have a bit less foot traffic milling about. 

I'm no expert on this.  I just happened to be there recently enough to still remember a couple things.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/6/21 9:24 a.m.

Go to Puerto Rico.  It is a pretty compact Island. Air B&B 4 houses, one on each corner of the island. Also rent a handfull of cars for people to get around. People can rotate accommodations as suited or desired and nobody has to feel trapped by the group.  Plan some  full-group gatherings at central attractions. I recommend booking a lechoneria on the Pork HWY.

Puerto Rico is different enough so that you know you are somewhere different, but American enough that you can get by in english at all times. 

If there on a weekend, you can go to Salinas Dragstrip and find out where all the Rotary engines have gone.

Toyman01 + Sized and
10/6/21 9:48 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

We considered Puerto Rico, Belize, Mexico, and such. They were shot down due to the heat and humidity. My father is all about finding cooler temps when summer rolls in. We might have to consider another trip with the older crowd one winter and head south. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/6/21 9:53 a.m.

We did this for my parent's anniversary a few years ago. We did Calloway Gardens in Georgia. We rented four of the houses close together but there is a large hotel and other options. What I loved about it was there was stuff for people of all ages on site. Sports galore with golf, tennis, hiking, swimming, biking, waters skiing, etc. They had tons of kids' activities that they could go to alone, no parents required! There is a really cool butterfly arboretum as well as outdoor gardens to stroll in. Feeling adventurous, there is a ropes course or you can join the Fl State Circus arts team in the hightop tent and try out some high wire acrobatics (the kids ate this stuff up).  If anyone needed a break there was a spa you could escape to. Most. evenings there was a group event as well. As all in one places went I was really impressed with the variety of activities available for all age groups.

the_machina
the_machina Reader
10/6/21 10:17 a.m.

Head to Western NC? You could rent a couple houses on Nantahala Lake next to each other, rent a pontoon boat or a little bow rider, bring kayaks. It's high in the WNC mountains and summer nights are in the 60's.

Within an easy drive you have:

Nantahala Outdoor Center for whitewater rafting and great mountain biking

Great Smoky Mountain Railroad for family-friendly scenic rail day-trips (or booze-cruise trips)

Hiking in the mountains in Nantahala National Forest

Driving the tail of the dragon

High-end shopping and dining in Highlands NC

Beautiful arts and crafts on display and for sale at The Bascom

You're 2 hours from The Biltmore

Just something to consider

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/6/21 11:45 a.m.

inlaws did a cruise with 28 of us. That worked well for us, pleny of room on a cruise ship to hide. The other times have been rental houses for 12-15. We do NOT like those. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/6/21 11:49 a.m.

Alaskan cruise. I personally hate the idea of a cruise, but may do one in AK. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/6/21 11:53 a.m.

Cedar City, UT is near Bryce Canyon and Zion Canyon, and it's a day trip away from Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Las Vegas, Valley of Fire, and a lot of other neat destinations.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/6/21 12:09 p.m.

something like this?

https://www.kalahariresorts.com/wisconsin?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=pmd_ccDfRjTToXPatBRddDBfob5s1_FC97XpQ2b3GomVxq4-1633539967-0-gqNtZGzNAfujcnBszQjR

There are a few locations. The Wisconsin Dells location is kind of nice since there is a lot of tourist stuff and a bunch of outdoor stuff. Or just never leave the resort.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1olY98TwzfE3RCVgf91JjTPdZcOvZZBrRplkXt70yz4hQXM0I1WWmhPXrokokkAz