1 2 3
novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
6/3/11 6:55 p.m.

a couple of years ago one of my cousins gave another one of my other cousins a pair of old bikes that he had laying behind the garage at his mom's house for about 20 years- a chrome Diamond Back BMX racer and a light purple Hutch freestyle. they both needed tires, but were otherwise complete and are both fully functional now.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
6/3/11 7:11 p.m.

If anyone is looking for an old freestyle bike to build, I have most of a late 80s blue/black haro master I would sell.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
6/3/11 8:02 p.m.

You don't have to go too far back... Felt still sells a pink racing frame. Top notch E36 M3 too - my son raced/pounded/wrecked a Felt bike from age 6 thru 10 and all I did was keep raising the seat, upgrading the gear and cranks as his legs grew.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/11 9:30 p.m.

FWIW I have a line on a Diamonback Silver Streak that I think is available.

Also, while it's not old-school, I picked up a gorgeous bare aluminum Powerlite from the mid/late-90's, minus wheels. It's a pure work of art! Oh, and it was only $40, so I figured why not?

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
6/4/11 1:22 a.m.
racinginc215 wrote:
Travis_K wrote: If anyone is looking for an old freestyle bike to build, I have most of a late 80s blue/black haro master I would sell.
I had one in green/black. got pics?

I dont have pics right now, but I could get some sunday.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
6/4/11 7:38 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote: BTW has anyone priced vintage BMX/Freestyle bikes lately? I mean quality ones from the 80's? CW, Hutch, California made GT Pro Performers..ect? Shockingly expensive. Over a grand for complete bikes.

I know, right. I thought vintage MTB kit was expensive, but I've seen quality 'NOS' BMX parts go for even crazier money.

Although I don't harbor any nostalgia for such things, I'd still love to have a Cinelli MX-1, like so:

In blue, or gold, with Campy hubs and crank.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
6/4/11 9:40 a.m.

That's a beautiful thing right there. I think this winter, once I have to stop taking apart cars because I need to drive them (the mx6 is due for winter duty) I might start working towards duplicating that predator.

Also on that Felt- they do make some REALLY nice stuff. I know there's plenty of modern frames/etc out there in pink, I'm just dead set on this bike because I wanted one so bad as a kid.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/4/11 12:14 p.m.

Wow--this thread turned out awesome.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
6/6/11 1:28 p.m.

you werent even close to rad unless you watched

at least 3 times a day all summer long

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
6/6/11 1:34 p.m.

I still have the 1985 Freestyle aerials grand nationals championship videocassette on the shelf. Haven't attempted to play it in since 1990 or so and I am afraid it would crumble if I tried now. Bought it at Hutches bike shop in springfield in early '86.

petegossett
6/6/11 9:31 p.m.

You guys inspired me. While it's only mid-school, it does ride pretty nice for all the junk parts & it sure is light!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/6/11 11:09 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: you werent even close to rad unless you watched at least 3 times a day all summer long

I still have those on VHS somewhere. I remember being disappointed that they weren't how-tos--just a string of tricks. Classic now, though.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/6/11 11:13 p.m.
gamby wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: you werent even close to rad unless you watched at least 3 times a day all summer long
I still have those on VHS somewhere. I remember being disappointed that they weren't how-tos--just a string of tricks. Classic now, though.

Show your true BMX knowledge: Where was the cover for the video on the left shot?

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/7/11 12:02 a.m.

Ok, those are just rad! Freestyle for BMX is just awesome.

Nothing screams old school like pink bikes with twin top tubes and white mags lol

My Redline's too new school for this thread...or you guys even

Marty!
Marty! Dork
6/7/11 12:42 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Ron Wilkerson's Enchanted Ramp :)

petegossett
6/7/11 5:57 a.m.

"A freestyle video called Rad TV So many cool tricks you have to see Eddie, Michael, Woody, Martin, 25 pros Do some how-tos & show you what they know Givin' you the rundown on flatland & ramps Better call in mom, dad & gramps Bustin' major air at the Pipeline Can-cans & inverts that'll blow your mind Woody's cherry-pickers don't end the list Watch Dominguez do his 540 twist!"

Is it sad I STILL remember that!!?!?? 8)

NickF40
6/7/11 10:45 a.m.

one thing, seat height has certainly changed lol

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
6/7/11 11:20 a.m.
petegossett wrote: You guys inspired me. While it's only mid-school, it does ride pretty nice for all the junk parts & it sure is light! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Still a gorgeous Powerlite. Well done.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/7/11 9:01 p.m.

Fix yo chain b'foe you reck yo face tryin to push them peddles hard!

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
6/9/11 9:53 a.m.

So I think the CL gods are either smiling on me, or mocking me- but I found this

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/2424035318.html

100$ for a pretty cool vintage rider. It'd need some tweaks and stuff for me to be ok with it, and it's the wrong color, but predator freeforms are only going up in price from what i've noticed. Any thoughts?

petegossett
6/9/11 11:00 a.m.

It seems like a good deal at that price. That said, OG bikes aren't really something I like riding anymore - too much flex, crappy brakes, etc. But as something to cruise around on occasionally, or just to keep/keep in good shape to show off every now & then, hell yes!

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
6/9/11 11:01 a.m.

Yeah, i'm way beyond serious riding, my joints are long gone, hence cars. But the occasional cruise/bunnyhop whatever, I can still do that.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
6/9/11 12:07 p.m.

Yeah, I will hang on to my 20" forever. One day, my spanish bottom bracket, flip flop wheel with 29/14 gearing and terrible one handlebars will be "old school". But, shes mine and Im not ever givin her up. I may not be progressing in my "bag of tricks" anymore, but I can still hang out in the mini ramp or goof off street riding all day.

NickF40
6/9/11 8:39 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Yeah, I will hang on to my 20" forever. One day, my spanish bottom bracket, flip flop wheel with 29/14 gearing and terrible one handlebars will be "old school". But, shes mine and Im not ever givin her up. I may not be progressing in my "bag of tricks" anymore, but I can still hang out in the mini ramp or goof off street riding all day.

I'm the same way!

pics!!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/9/11 9:16 p.m.

By the way, I cried a little inside when I realized that keeping 44:16 gears on my DK was going to be tough.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zN49Cyc0i96CQBId9b0gDy3oDb45pvtpcxuw0DlxLOKSSbZjBf4OqujYWZceM5dU