1 2 3 4
SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
9/15/16 12:55 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I should post up pics of my collection when I get home next week...visibily bigger than Silverfleet's but spread across more consoles and the PC, and that's just the tip of the iceberg - most of it you can't really see, because it's digital-only, and I've shifted more to using emulators instead of physically collecting old came consoles and cartridges. I'm even shifting to emulators instead of *new* games and consoles...I stopped buying new consoles after the PSX but I can still play most newer console games

Post it up!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
9/15/16 1:16 p.m.

SilverFleet's collection is more impressive in person. Trust me on that.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
9/15/16 1:31 p.m.

You guys want to see more?

Here's my current vintage rig: The top holds my NES game caddy, the 25" Samsung CRT TV, and my slim PS2. The middle shelf has NES, SNES, N64, and GameCube. It's an older pic, because the Famicom and TG16 hang out there too. The bottom has the Sega Master System. Genesis (with the Power Base Converter), Saturn, and Dreamcast.

My buddy recently donated his collection to me, and among them was this MINT NES Control Deck! It still has the $89.99 Bradlees sticker on it! Bradlees was a local pre-Walmart/Target chain up here in New England.

It still had the NES poster in there! I need this framed.

Here's my Colecovison. This was my 1st console... well, technically my sister's, but she abandoned it so I became the caretaker. That tumor hanging off the bottom is the infamous Expansion Module #1 which allowed you to play Atari 2600 games. This inevitably led to lawsuits, as you could imagine.

The Colecovision has a special place in my heart because it was the 1st console I ever played. I still have all the childhood games, plus some ones I've picked up over the years. That one that is obscured by the flash is Chuck Norris Superkicks, which is pretty rare. You go around roundhouse kicking people in the face.

It's R.O.B.! I got my NES on Christmas in 1987, and my parents opted for the Deluxe Set, which came with R.O.B., the zapper, two controllers, Duck Hunt, and Gyromite. I got Super Mario Brothers separately from some relatives. The robot was designed to play two games with you: Gyromite and Stack Up. I only have Gyromite, and I'm missing a Gyro disc and spinner. Stack Up is ultra rare and expensive, because not many people opted to get the robot. And yes, he still works!

My Sega Genesis and loose Sega Master System carts are in these cassette holders mounted on the wall. I have most of the original boxes for the Genesis carts, but they are in storage. I have all the US-released Sega consoles, from the Master System to the Dreamcast.

My SNES games. I was a late adopter to the SNES, picking it up in 1995, but I love it.

I have A LOT of Atari stuff, especially for the 2600. Here's my hardshell briefcase, which holds my 6-switch Sears Telegames console with some Telegames-branded carts. I think I have about 200 2600 games (no pics though). I also have a 5200 and a Jaguar in storage. The 2600 is one of my favorites to collect for because it's still affordable and games/consoles are bomb proof!

Here's a big ol' stack of Playstation and Dreamcast games, with a couple of 3DO games thrown in for good measure.

Here's a rare one. This is Power Strike on the Sega Master System. This was a mail-order only game for a system that not many people had, so as you can imagine, not many people have this one. And it's AWESOME. It's a part of the Aleste series of vertical scrolling shooters, which includes Blazing Lazers on the Turbografx 16, Robo Aleste on the Sega CD, and Space Megaforce on the SNES.

My Saturn, pictured with the rare Guardian Heroes. Picked this up from a friend in the mid-90's.

How about some "Long Box" Playstation games? Love the long box ones.

I need to take some better pics of this stuff.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
9/15/16 1:33 p.m.

I sometimes miss my old systems but jeesh. I took my sons over to a friend of theres house and they have one of every console atari and newer set up in a room with 5 screens. Nostalgia had me playing for a while.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/15/16 1:45 p.m.

Yeah, i used to have a lot more. Between multiple thefts, a divorce, and so on....not as many as I used to.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
9/15/16 1:51 p.m.

I need to downsize a bit. What you are not seeing is the inventory of extras I have. For a while about 10-15 years ago, I was buying in bulk to get a couple games I didn't have because everything was so cheap.

Anyone want to buy a Dreamcast? I've been actutally trying to sell one of mine with a copy of Shenmue and a janky copy of Skies of Arcadia for a while with no bites. I also have spare PS1's, PS2's and a few NES consoles I could part with.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/15/16 2:12 p.m.

I still have two dream casts lol- i got my last one when I lowballEd a pawn shop and theyou bit.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
9/15/16 2:50 p.m.

You can add Contra, Simpsons arcade game, Ivan Stewart Super Off Road, Solomon's Key, Karate Kid and Blades of Steel to the list.

Nintendo and Sony had built an Playstation prototype for the CES show in 1991 but the relationship soured. Someone came across one in an auction lot and here is an article about it being fired up and played:

https://www.engadget.com/2015/11/06/nintendo-playstation-is-real-and-it-works/

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/15/16 2:50 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

Just out of curiosity... are you preparing for the "Ready Player One" dystopia?

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
9/15/16 2:58 p.m.

In reply to 92dxman:

Ben Heck recently took it apart to see how it works and make it function-ish again. https://www.youtube.com/embed/ug-CyGXMabg

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qh91IO9cV48

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
9/15/16 3:02 p.m.

Other obscurity, there was an add-on disk drive for the N64. Was actually released in Japan, didn't do well, and the US version never made it to retail.

Super rare, post development, pre retail US version. https://www.youtube.com/embed/b64Bx0WKh7M https://www.youtube.com/embed/Pe-fs1COgr0

Japanese versions. https://www.youtube.com/embed/27u838WY90Q

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
9/15/16 3:15 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: In reply to SilverFleet: Just out of curiosity... are you preparing for the "Ready Player One" dystopia?

No, I was prepping for the inevitable boredom of being a married domesticated husband. Also, when it hurts to go outside for a good chunk of the year, this type of entertainment comes in handy.

I still have a hefty back log of games that I need to play. I have actually slowed down the purchasing quite a bit, due to lack of space and the fact that anything "old" around here goes for stupid money.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
9/15/16 3:18 p.m.

I have a good sized stash of NES and N64 games. I was always super late to get consoles, so games were cheap. I/my parents bought a lot of NES carts from Blockbuster and Wegmans video rental when they were transitioning them out for newer stuff.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
9/15/16 3:25 p.m.

Oh, and Ben Heck and Metal Jesus (the YouTube personalities seen above) are great! I watch a lot of YouTube gaming channels, including:

-Classic Game Room (reviews of classic games, and he owns an El Camino)

-The Game Chasers (American Pickers for nerds, with a dash of bro vulgarity, it's really funny)

-Angry Video Game Nerd (reviews terrible video games and gets, well, angry)

-The Gaming Historian (a guy went to school to be a history teacher, but likes games more, so he talks about old games!)

-Arcade Impossible (some guy in the Midwest built a sweet arcade in his basement GRM-style, and he uses a turbo Jetta and a small trailer to get them home!)

And of course, those two channels I mentioned earlier.

-Ben Heck (Tech guru that builds custom stuff)

-Metal Jesus (Former Sierra Online software guy from Seattle that collects games, listens to Metal, and does cool videos)

Hours of entertainment here!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
9/15/16 3:50 p.m.

Legacy of the Wizard is my albatros I never even got to the first boss as a kid.

Any of the secret of mana series on SNES is gold, so is earthbound.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
9/15/16 4:28 p.m.

SNES is my favorite system of all time. Mine got lost to the years, but I still have my copies of Zelda and Chrono Trigger.

I wasted so many hours playing Chrono Trigger, Zelda, Ogre Battle, Mario RPG and eye of the beholder. I've started playing the Wii download version of a link to the past with my 6yr old. She really likes it.

I've avoided picking up another SNES as I am afraid it will tip me over the edge into starting to collect old games. I have a bad habit of starting collections and then losing interest (which is why my basement is full of Hotwheels)

Anyhow, great thread, and impressive collections

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
9/15/16 4:41 p.m.

Some of the collections posted on here are just friggin' awesome! I'm happy I still have my PS1 with the original Gran Turismo, but that doesn't even compare with all the vintage hardware I'm seeing here.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
9/15/16 5:52 p.m.

Here's my current setup. I condensed everything into an "arcade cabinet." I don't spend a huge amount of time gaming anymore but every now and then I sit down for an hour or two.

All the best of the 5th & 6th gen consoles - Dreamcast, 3DO, PS1 (original SCPH-1001 w/"audiophile" sound output if you believe that BS ;), slim PS2, and an older PC for Steam/Humble/etc. games. The only one missing is my Saturn.

I have more stuff too but this is what I've unpacked and set up. I do have a Megadrive, TG-16, NES, and some others but I don't feel like getting into collecting carts for those as they can be emulated near-perfectly.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
9/15/16 6:01 p.m.

My parents never got me home gaming systems, so I had to play my friend's. But from about 1981 to 1991 I spent more time in arcades than I can count. All I wanted for my birthday and holidays was a stack of quarters. When I was 13, I got the full size pinball machine called Gorgar in my basement...I became a very popular teenager...

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
9/15/16 6:12 p.m.

We still break out the N64 from time to time. Perfect Dark and Conquer's Bad Fur Day get a lot of play.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/15/16 10:00 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

Quite a collection, but...no Intelevision. I got my Great Grandma's (!) and the sound module. B-17 Bomber rules. So does Bump n Jump.

Anyone want to sell me their Tengen Tetris?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/15/16 10:02 p.m.

Also I knew one kid, my brother's friend, with NEO Geo. Remember that one? That was one expensive bastard. I recall something like $500 in the very early 90s. Games were north of $100. No wonder no one had one.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/15/16 10:12 p.m.
java230 wrote: Wow I was just thinking I should go back and play Half-Life again, thats vintage to me....

I'm currently playing through all PC FPS games, in order based on their release date. I have a long long way to go before I hit Half-Life. Hell, I have 28 more games to go before I clear the '2.5D' era.

If anyone is interested in doing some multiplayer matches in some old PC Shooters, hit me up.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/15/16 10:21 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: I watched "Game Over" on Netflix about 6-months ago and thought it was a great watch. It deals with Atari and the Burial of the game ET but goes into the culture/history of early video games. https://www.youtube.com/embed/TKpm5I1B4iY

We watched that, too. And, like many of us, we grew up with Atari. My dad worked for a company that owned several toy store chains, so let's just say that we were early adopters of the 2600. In fact, I remember having to explain it to my classmates--it has these cartridges and you can swap games. No, really!

Somewhere I have a cartridge for my Gameboy containing every Activision game, including a few that aren't quite complete. I found it on Amazon a million years ago.

Pitfall is still the best.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/16/16 8:00 a.m.

I still have our old Atari 2600 in the basement someplace and I keep meaning to have a LAN party with my two oldest kids playing Unreal Tournament but I have not "cleaned" up my game directory yet.

I am going to have to check out the Wii hack. Ours just sits most of the time now.

Here is one of my most favorite games:

Darklands

I skipped many a college class playing that game.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wG95NzEOyPAjIJkw0hCldOtBTf6XeNz38Hq8btBlmDwc68QkLL1esqelSi65tdFT