David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/8/22 9:11 p.m.

So, having fun in Florida? 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/8/22 9:22 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Excellent timing, right? He should be fine at Disney, outdoor rides might go 101 but there's no closure or even reduced service protocols on deck for this one, unlike Ian. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
11/9/22 6:25 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

So far so good. Monday was Animal Kingdom, Tuesday was Galaxy's Edge. We had spots of rain including a good shower last night going to dinner but nothing significant.

Today is Edge again, we had planned to be there till 9pm for something but that might get cut short. So far Disney has not said anything about major issues except canceling late hours at one of the parks tonight, forget which one.

Tomorrow was our open day for these suggestions but at this point I think we're probably hunkering down at the resort, vs trying to drive thru the worst of it. Then head home Friday morning.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/9/22 9:52 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Watch where you park at the resort. Orlando has a lot of flooding during events like this. Parking lots can get feet deep. Is there a parking garage option?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/9/22 9:55 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

Worst case he can probably park it at one of the garages on Disney Springs and uber back to the resort. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/9/22 10:23 a.m.

Some of my best memories at disney are in rain

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/9/22 10:31 a.m.
hobiercr said:

In reply to Jerry :

Watch where you park at the resort. Orlando has a lot of flooding during events like this. Parking lots can get feet deep. Is there a parking garage option?

Not at any of the resorts.  Gives the wrong image.

However, the bus system at Disney is what I imagine public transport in Europe is like, so yeah parking at Disney Springs is probably a good option 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/9/22 10:32 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Some of my best memories at disney are in rain

Same.  Everyone buggers off to hide, you get most everything to yourself.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/9/22 10:43 a.m.

If you get a moment with a free lunch or brunch this place is fantastic for Latin food.

https://zazacubancomfort.com/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Yext&y_source=1_MjQzNDA4NDItNzE1LWxvY2F0aW9uLndlYnNpdGU%3D

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/9/22 10:49 a.m.

Resort lots won't flood. He'll be fine. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/9/22 10:51 a.m.
Slippery said:

In reply to hobiercr :

Worst case he can probably park it at one of the garages on Disney Springs and uber back to the resort. 

Just about every resort has direct transportation to and from springs. If I go to work with swmbo because I've got berkeley all to do, I can hop a bus and go look at crispy tourists at springs. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/9/22 10:57 a.m.
Mndsm said:
Slippery said:

In reply to hobiercr :

Just about every resort has direct transportation to and from springs. If I go to work with swmbo because I've got berkeley all to do, I can hop a bus and go look at crispy tourists at springs. 

Yeah, I thought he might be staying oustide of Disney prop. 

There are resorts with garages though. I always stay at the Bonnet Creek Wyndham and they do have a garage.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
11/9/22 2:46 p.m.

Posted to Facebook for friends:

So yeah, about the Disney vacation... We just got back from Galaxy's Edge. It was raining off and on since 8am but by 1pm was just constant rain. Checked the Disney app while eating around noon and saw this.

So our 9pm at Olga's restaurant is out, along with her night-time light saber photos. We built our droids early while the line was short so no 510pm for that thankfully. Going to relax a bit and have dinner at the resort.

The brunt of the storm is expected here around 7am tomorrow, last I checked. We had nothing scheduled anyway, was going to find something non-Disney to do. Now we're just going to hunker down and ride the storm out!

The resort is inland, the doors are very heavy. I don't expect flooding so the Crosstrek should be good. I think powerlines are underground so if they keep power this place has great food options.

This seems better than trying to drive thru 75mph winds and heavy rain tomorrow. Should be fun times! I'll keep you posted.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/9/22 2:58 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Yeah, I just got a text that they activated ride and recovery. Apparently they're starting some prep. They're predicting reopen sometime in the morning to early afternoon right now. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
11/12/22 9:19 p.m.

They closed all the parks Wednesday at 5 or 6pm, we got back to the resort around 430pm and grabbed a pizza before it filled with people.

Thursday morning it was raining and windy, but honestly felt like a summer storm in Ohio. We ventured out at dinnertime and got Chinese buffet, then I shot a machine gun at Machine Gun America nearby. The lady at the counter said they weren't going to open but realized there would be a lot of Disney vacationers with nothing to do.

Got home today to 1.8" of snow, it was already 82F when we left Friday morning. I have now seen every weather condition and season in one week.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1WZF6gnv8BbXFy6nkQcSDXf0gO6AEi7UixCfXdYejhw5cHefnpzmfHtjgOP9ghpj