1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/14 3:17 p.m.

Volvo's marketing director Alain Visser highlights all the elephants in the room on the way out:

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/volvo-set-to-quit-motorsport/

Visser has been critical of motorsport in the past despite claiming to be a serious fan. ‘I love motor sports, but I would never invest the company’s money in it,’ he said during a panel discussion on brand image at a conference held by German magazine Automobilwoche in early 2013. ‘I would be pleased to see a business plan that shows this actually leads to profits. If you analyze 100 sponsorship deals you will learn that the son of one of the board members very often is participating in the sport,’ he continued. ‘Therefore, this decision is not always based on rational reasons.’

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
12/19/14 4:41 p.m.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
12/19/14 5:39 p.m.

They are also no longer doing most of the car shows as well. Only 3 a year or so they said.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20141215/COPY01/312159950?template=mobile&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

Really cutting expenses in a BIG way

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/19/14 6:06 p.m.

A legit question: How many new Volvos are sold each year based on their motorsports programs?

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
12/19/14 6:13 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: A legit question: How many new Volvos are sold each year based on their motorsports programs?

I dunno, how many people bought Polestars?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/14 6:37 p.m.

I know my parents first considered a Subaru due to WRC in the late 90's (subsequently buying at least two of them new), and my wife is heavily Audi-biased due to their Le Mans success. So there definitely are some results.

I know Volvo does V8 Supercars. Couldn't tell you where else they race.

David S. Wallens
12/19/14 6:37 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: A legit question: How many new Volvos are sold each year based on their motorsports programs?
I dunno, how many people bought Polestars?

Like 3 or 4?

Seriously, I know that Volvo has argued with this question before.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
12/19/14 7:02 p.m.

I'll bite, what car does Volvo race and which series is it in? It helps a bunch if your car actually wins or competes for wins. Seems to have helped Cadillac appear cool again. I admit, I wouldn't mind driving around in Caddy resembling their race car. Your motorsports program is only as good as the marketing people who actually use it.

David S. Wallens
12/19/14 7:12 p.m.

The last sentence of the above post is pure gold. You're right. Wins are great, but telling the world is even greater.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/19/14 7:17 p.m.

Good marketing can go on long after the racing stops. See Subaru and WRC.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
12/19/14 7:40 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I know my parents first considered a Subaru due to WRC in the late 90's (subsequently buying at least two of them new), and my wife is heavily Audi-biased due to their Le Mans success. So there definitely are some results. I know Volvo does V8 Supercars. Couldn't tell you where else they race.

they raced world challenge until last yr

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
12/19/14 8:55 p.m.

Success is part of the equation and marketing is even bigger as stated above. I know of VAGs shortfalls on reliability thanks to this board yet when shopping this summer for a new car I was in an Audi showroom looking at the new S3....Their marketing also drew me in. But I couldn't get it out of my head that as soon as I drive this car off the lot it's going to break eventually.

Volvo is obviously hurting by way of all their actions or just looking for a bigger bottom line. I never witnessed any marketing attempts for any of their racing programs in the first place. They should have just went the way of Toyota. Enlist into Nascar. I see more Toyota trucks and cars driven by Dale Jr. fans than anything else these days.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
12/19/14 9:06 p.m.

So does the old saying "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" still carry any weight with manufacturers? If not why are they even involved with motorsports?

NASCAR lost me when they stopped looking like real cars in the late 80's. Touring cars are where my heart is now. The closer they look to the street cars the better. Silhouette cars turn me off, I want my race cars to either be open wheel or production based.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/19/14 9:13 p.m.

Hey Volvo? Just thought I'd let you know that I still remember when you guys ran the 850 Wagons in touring cars. I'd say that is good marketing. Just because you suck at marketing now, doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
12/19/14 10:09 p.m.

Volvo/Polestar provides support for two series:

• STCC
  • V8 Supercars

The "other" Volvo S60 V8 Silhouette Solution F (powered by the General) in te Supercar Challenge series is not supported I believe.

If you don't follow those two series . . . You'll never know Volvo still exist. Come to think about it, I haven't seen a Volvo commercial in a long while . . .

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/19/14 10:26 p.m.

I have to say, I don't see volvo around in 5-7 years. Their current cars are very forgettable and pretty pricey for what they are.

They had a great world challenge team but they never once used it to market their cars.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/14 10:53 a.m.

I'm not sure what a new Volvo looks like.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
12/20/14 12:09 p.m.

Figge and Pobst had success with Volvo in PWC 2013, but Volvo dropped out for 2014. Volvo's AWD setup was formidable against the more powerful CTS-Vs of O'Connell and Pilgrim. Made for some entertaining and close racing.

Volvo has returned to emphasizing safety in its marketing. There's no word yet if they've successfully wooed the female demo they particularly targeted.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
12/20/14 1:34 p.m.

Volvo just wants to follow SAAB... and this is the best way they could figure out how........

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/20/14 2:51 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/volvo-set-to-quit-motorsport/
If you analyze 100 sponsorship deals you will learn that the son of one of the board members very often is participating in the sport,’ he continued.

Well, there's a shock. Business deals often happen between people who have a common contact. Who'd have thought?

For what it's worth, Ford are very keen on motorsports because they very much do see a benefit in getting their name out there. Even when they aren't winning, they're still out there creating a spectacle that has their name all over it.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/20/14 5:44 p.m.
Wally wrote: I'm not sure what a new Volvo looks like.

most of the ones i see look like this:

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/22/14 9:26 a.m.
conesare2seconds wrote: Figge and Pobst had success with Volvo in PWC 2013, but Volvo dropped out for 2014. Volvo's AWD setup was formidable against the more powerful CTS-Vs of O'Connell and Pilgrim. Made for some entertaining and close racing. Volvo has returned to emphasizing safety in its marketing. There's no word yet if they've successfully wooed the female demo they particularly targeted.

I loved watching those cars and was very sad when Volvo quit.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
12/22/14 9:41 a.m.

I saw a new S60 over the weekend, and it looked ok, but not nearly nice enough for what they ask for them. They are behind the times, and they make nothing (save for the Polestar Wagon) that I'm even remotely interested in. And it's not just me; they don't seem to make anything that ANYONE is interested in. They are done.

The yuppies around here have moved on as well. They are all buying A4's, CLA's, and the various entry level BMW's, where they used to buy Saabs and Volvos 5 to 1 over those other cars. That says something.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
12/22/14 10:13 a.m.

My wife LOVES her S40 and remains pissed off they dropped them. She has no interest in an S60.

The new S80 styling is kinda funky in pics, too.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/22/14 11:35 a.m.

I see Volvop ads all the time that emphasize their 'connectedness' and safety features. Most of the Volvos I see are of the articulating variety with a bucket on the front.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
msmoFgvv3rmHhZQcHbqPuGblLogZPwmElQtP9pMYRU0zx76sLFJBWEArsaV8d4FK