Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/21/18 9:27 p.m.

If I told you all the crazy stuff adults taught me as a kid/teenager?

I think she was creating sweet memories. 

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/kids-drive-bus-in-valparaiso-driver-charged-494011351.html?amp=y

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/21/18 9:44 p.m.

When I was in 5th grade, I had a convoluted bus ride that included a transfer stretch in a short bus.  One day the bus driver stalled it, and couldn’t  get it started. This was 1974-1975, so no cell phones. She left about 6 of us in the bus and walked down a couple hundred yards to call in from somebody’s house. 

My buddy and I jammed the choke plate open with a screwdriver, unflooded it, got it running, and drove down to pick her up. She almost fainted. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/18 9:55 p.m.

So now teaching a child something is neglect? Nice. 

My dad taught me how to drive when I was 11. I hope they don't try to lock him up.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/18 6:23 a.m.

My father went to a tiny rural school that was closed decades before I was born. One of his peers told me a story of how they would take the busses on joy-rides or race them, since they were never locked & the keys were in them. 

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
9/22/18 6:50 a.m.

When I was very young I drove an Amtrak train for several miles.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
9/22/18 11:17 a.m.

I did not know that I was being abused and neglected when they let me "drive" the monorail at Disneyland when I was 8. 

#metooooo

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/18 9:18 p.m.

The lawyers have seen to it that we can’t have any fun anymore. I doesn’t help that kids don’t know how to keep their mouths shut either.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/23/18 8:56 a.m.
02Pilot said:

When I was very young I drove an Amtrak train for several miles.

I feel as if there is more to this story; if there isn’t don’t reply but if there is...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/23/18 10:40 a.m.

Then there was that kid.  His dad ran a tofu shop and his main customer was a hotel on top of a nearby mountain. Deliveries were due at like 0300 or something.  So the single dad gets tired of making the deliveries and has the 13 year old kid driving up and down the dangerous mountain road by himself in the middle of the night, every frigging night, rain, snow, whatever, in an old AE86.  Man, you wanna talk child abuse. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/23/18 11:20 a.m.

That close to Chicago, I'm surprised there wasn't a tax on it.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
9/24/18 12:05 a.m.

My first time behind the wheel was at age 12 in San Fernando Valley. Dad said it was my turn to drive. Looking back, what really is shocking is that the caddy didn't break down before we got home.

Anyway, that was only 18 years ago. The point is, I think kids can still have fun and adults are still willing to break the rules, just maybe with less frequency. Borrowing the car before I had a license (with permission), telling the guy behind the counter at the sporting goods store "Are you kidding? He's just a kid! Of course the BB gun is for me. I'd never give a weapon to a minor.", grandpa giving me a swiss army knife at 8 and promptly showing me how to throw it so it sticks in the ground, all sorts of things. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/24/18 10:24 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

So now teaching a child something is neglect? Nice. 

My dad taught me how to drive when I was 11. I hope they don't try to lock him up.

Maybe don't teach the kid to drive with a schoolbus full of kids. I'm sure not OK with an 11 year old driving a loaded schoolbus.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Dji2L8RMDxbT246Y9R4pzhD7nYaUb1x0gR6nnbLmjF177Rp9LeiF16619tljl0Pc