1 2
Hal
Hal Dork
9/3/10 9:10 a.m.

I found this pic on another forum. I thought it might be appropiate for some of our western members who might be heading to the national parks for the holiday weekend.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/10 9:21 a.m.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
9/3/10 9:22 a.m.

You mean you aren't s'posed to try and pet Mountain Lions? That might explain the missing fingers......

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/3/10 9:26 a.m.

Tim's on his way to Montana Sunday for the Going-to-the-Sun rally, and I already warned him not to do any hiking without being prepared. This was in the paper last week:

Bad news for those planning to visit Yellowstone this fall--the favorite food of the park's grizzlies will be in short supply, meaning that the bears will be hungrier and more likely to pursue other sources of protein, according to researchers with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

"Pack your bear spray: there's going to be run-ins," Chuck Schwartz of the USGS told Matthew Brown of the Associated Press (AP) on Sunday, noting that the shortage of nuts from whitebark pine cones could lead to more confrontations between campers, hunters and hikers, and the up to six-foot tall, 600-pound bears looking to add weight in preparation for hibernation.

According to Brown, "Two people have been fatally mauled by grizzlies so far this year in Wyoming and Montana. Experts said that's the most in one year in at least a century for the Yellowstone region… In the latest attack, a Michigan man was killed and two others injured when an undernourished bear and her three cubs marauded through a crowded campground near Cooke City, Mont. on July 28."

Margie

EricM
EricM Dork
9/3/10 10:18 a.m.

Moose are more dangerous than Bears.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
9/3/10 10:23 a.m.

Coconuts are more dangerous then Moose.

Marjorie Suddard
9/3/10 10:35 a.m.

But which is more patriotic--the coconut or the moose?

Margie

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/10 10:46 a.m.

A few years ago, I went to Yosemite with my 75 year old father. We wanted to hike in and see the giant redwoods. As we approached the trail, we saw the mountain lion warning, which noted several recent fatal attacks. A second sign said that if you are approached, you should pick up large stick or rock and fight back.

My father and I read the sign, he picked up a stick, I found a rock and we headed into the forest. No words were spoken. The mountain lions didn't stand a chance.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter SuperDork
9/3/10 10:47 a.m.

I was once mountain biking in Montana when I came around a corner and found a mama bear and two cubs right in front of me. "Don't stop", my cousin yelled. I took the advice.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/3/10 11:04 a.m.
hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/3/10 11:08 a.m.

But just incase, you can always use this method... Look, an eagle

zomby woof
zomby woof Dork
9/3/10 11:10 a.m.

I always wear my keys on my belt loop when hiking in the woods. The noise alerts them that you're there. You don't want to surprise bears if you can avoid it.

2 weeks ago, we surprised one while canoeing right across from our campsite. We came around a corner, and there he was, about waist deep in the water. We saw another 2 the next day while hiking. When they see you and take off, you think they're gone, but they watch you for a long time.

Autolex
Autolex HalfDork
9/3/10 11:12 a.m.

I don't think I have ever heard that warning before...

(and yes, this has been my signature for 1+ year.. )

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
9/3/10 11:16 a.m.

"Bear seeking protein" sounds like the title of a craigslist personal ad.

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
9/3/10 11:21 a.m.

I didn't know bears used canoes- thought they liked powerboats. badum pish

Powar
Powar Dork
9/3/10 11:35 a.m.
ansonivan wrote: "Bear seeking protein" sounds like the title of a craigslist personal ad.

Gross, but funny.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/3/10 2:00 p.m.

I am patriotically working on one of Yellowstone's 105mm cannon used to induce controlled avalanches.

If they allow me an apprentice, I'll call you.

Dan

Hal
Hal Dork
9/3/10 2:08 p.m.
Autolex wrote: I don't think I have ever heard that warning before... (and yes, this has been my signature for 1+ year.. )

Where did you get it from. The place I got the picture from did not give any location as to where the picture was taken. I assume from the use of B.C. on the sign that it is from British Columbia.

And the responses I am getting here lead me to belive that some people did not read the sign completely.

Marjorie Suddard
9/3/10 2:09 p.m.
Hal wrote: And the responses I am getting here lead me to belive that some people did not read the sign completely.

D'oh!

Margie

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
9/3/10 3:09 p.m.

A friend sent me a .jpg of the grizzly bear sign a few months ago. I thought it was hilarious then, and I still do, but I might find it a little less funny if I was going to Montana.

zomby woof
zomby woof Dork
9/3/10 3:30 p.m.

http://www.fortsteelecampground.com/

therex
therex SuperDork
9/3/10 4:10 p.m.
Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/3/10 5:47 p.m.

Biggest thing we had to worry about in SW Montana was rattle snakes. (They can swim. I seen em' do it)

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/3/10 7:40 p.m.

We use a citronella based spray when we walk our dogs because of all the unleashed dogs in the neighborhood. It specifically says not to use on bears. Doesn't say why...?

porksboy
porksboy Dork
9/3/10 7:46 p.m.

therex makes me think of my old shark gun. We called it Barf The Magic Dragon. It is a stick with a very large hypodermic needle on the end and a CO2 cartrige on the other. Shove the needle into the shark, pull trigger and turn shark inside out tru his mouth. I wonder how well it would work on bears?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jg3fv55zGXtaDpZAtKSTEhcvAv1qXgqgh7PqlzWMyJI8naEqdh1vhacbSOZM6LQZ