Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/23/23 2:33 p.m.

My Citizen watch has had one of the sub-dial hands come loose, jamming the movement. I've had it for about 8 years and it's probably ready to have a once over anyway. 

I'm thinking of sending it to Total Watch Repair. Link

I think that's where I had a previous watch serviced. It cost me more than I expected, but otherwise a good experience.

Any suggestions or experiences you might share?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/23/23 2:55 p.m.

Not as new, but I reached out to a local guy (retired) working from his house.  Brought him an 1884 Waltham and a "Gingerbread" mantle clock.

He cleaned them up, got 'em working well for a pretty low bill.  I had no idea what to expect, but a low overhead added to "something to do" works for me.

I like to keep money local, good luck and stay away from malls.

Please let us know how it ends.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/23/23 3:02 p.m.

Small world...the time set knob on my Invicta failed last week (DST change and traveling to a different time zone).

Invicta Watches | Invicta Diver & Automatic Watches for Men & Women

I just dropped it off at a local jeweler to get an estimate last Saturday (haven't heard back yet).  It's 10+ years old, has some scratches on the bezel, and I only paid ~$180 so if the repair is $100<, I'll be shopping for something new.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/23/23 5:04 p.m.

That actually shouldn't be a hard fix if you want to take a shot at fixing it.

You would need to take the watch back off, unscrew the movement holder (if it has them), then movement will come out. You will want to put it in a movement holder (https://www.esslinger.com/large-aluminum-movement-holder/) and put something over the dial to protect it. Take some tweezers and carefully position the hand and press it in with a watch hand press. https://www.esslinger.com/watch-hand-tool-press-for-inserting-installing-wristwatch-hands-set-of-3/v

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dkswo8N6q1K3BvYs9LgK5ZTQFspKqkYNhya1AMdn5RJj9YAGoLRMLYcZ4oOyOBP8