JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/12/11 9:30 p.m.

We have a 2002 Navigator that has moisture/condensation inside the headlights. What's the best way to get it out? (I was thinking we'd have to remove the housing/lens and wipe the inside with paper towels.) More importantly, how is it getting in there, and how can I prevent it from happening again?

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
3/12/11 9:39 p.m.

my inherited 1998 Grand Marquis has one headlight with the same.

I suggested to pop I drill a few really small holes, but he said no.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/12/11 11:48 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: We have a 2002 Navigator that has moisture/condensation inside the headlights. What's the best way to get it out? (I was thinking we'd have to remove the housing/lens and wipe the inside with paper towels.) More importantly, how is it getting in there, and how can I prevent it from happening again?

Permanently? Remove and re-seal the headlamp. Or replace it.

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
3/13/11 2:22 p.m.

I have tried drying out the headlights (remove, then use a hair dryer) and then re-sealing them with no long term luck. I used silicone around the entire seam.

I did drill 2 tiny holes at the lowest point which worked remarkably well, but not perfect. I have noticed in the junkyard some headlights have built in drains, so I don't think this is an absurd thing to do.

After a few years the best thing I did was buying new replacements.

monsterbronco
monsterbronco New Reader
3/13/11 2:22 p.m.

i pulled the entire light out of a car once and tossed it in the oven for a while on low heat. it got the water out but eventually it came back in.

best bet is to figure out where its coming in and fix it or just replace the entire light.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Reader
3/13/11 2:31 p.m.

A lot of headlights use (or use to) a goretex patch on the housing - it allowed the headlamps to vent & keep the moisture out. Maybe try to find a repair kit for goretex jacket?

Kendall

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
3/13/11 8:13 p.m.

The tail lights in my RX8 would store water. I tried resealing them, that only let more water accumulate and not leak/drain out. I drilled small drain holes along the bottom and haven't had a problem since.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/13/11 8:26 p.m.

Two 3/16 holes in the bottom of the housing is how I fixed the one on my wife's car.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
3/13/11 8:51 p.m.

Another vote for drilling... replacement clear corners for the Dakota are notorious for fogging - a couple of small holes seems to cure it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pEa0nnmndYnTIibecEw4iOhMjj19I6fE3GNyTjH4RRvWAArIqSg5JLE0fWUmBxxg