TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/22/23 3:57 p.m.

I'm looking for some advice on web page design. 

I have a very basic web page for my engineering/design business (www.noblehardware.com).  Years ago I did all the design work on Weebly.  That kind of drag-and-drop design environment was pretty new then, and I found it far easier than trying to do html coding or use something complex like Dreamweaver.

Now Weebly has jacked their prices, and I want to switch the site over to my basic e-mail server / domain registrar.  I've already got the space for the site, I just have to redo the design.

Is there a free design environment I can use to remake my site?  Any recommendations?

Any other suggestion on migrating content?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/23 4:16 p.m.

For plain HTML WYSIWYG editing you could look into KompoZer. For really simple drag-and-drop website design, try SquareSpace, their service is probably the easiest possible way to build and host a website.

Migrating content can get complicated depending on what's being migrated and might not play nice with the SquareSpace platform.

Edit: Do note that continuing to use these sort of proprietary drag-and-drop systems increases the odds of repeated lock-in issues in the future, if you can step up to a generic WYSIWYG editor you could completely avoid your editor being tied to your hosting.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/22/23 6:23 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I fought with KompoZer years ago when I was first setting up my site.  But that was like 18 years ago.  Maybe it's different now.  I agree with you on the proprietary systems, and would like to not have to worry about that. 

SquareSpace looks basically the same as Weebly.  Design it there and host it there.  If they would host my e-mail too, I'd probably go for it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ToulPSAAdNva38cA5dxVCcRcysfbIKGFH3MBsOXKBEXidXVHh2w5U6VIHzRje1N3