1 2
rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/18/08 2:22 p.m.

Well ok so the thought has been there ever since I was a little kid and first watched the Mad Max movies.

But here I am last night not getting any good solid sleep for a few days, kicking back drinking a couple beers watching Road Warrior and thinking how much I've always liked that car. In fact my first car, a '78 Camaro, had a very Mad Max influenced look to it. I've since sold that car and always wanted to buy another to rebuild the way I had originally planned, injected, supercharged V8 and all.

I figure since I've got some access to garage space here come fall and I'm living in an area where V8 engines are a dime a dozen and parts are about the same why not start building one. I'm thinking of starting with a 350 and going from there but I may go whole hog and start with a 454, stick a super charger on top then find an injection plate to go on top of that. Setup a mega squirt to control everything. Have the blower and scoop sticking up outa the hood just like the old days.

Hehe now if I could just figure out a way to make the blower shut off and the engine still run decent I'd be real happy, to bad that is just movie magic . I suppose you could use some sort of clutch assembly to engage and disengage the supercharger, but then you would have to figure out a way to deal with all the timing and air fuel mix differences. Hmmm you would also have to find a happy medium with the cam and compression ratios....but damn would it be cool.

Oh come on I know I'm not the only one here that has thought about it...

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
7/18/08 2:27 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: Well ok so the thought has been there ever since I was a little kid and first watched the Mad Max movies.

I quit reading right at that point. You were a little kid when the Mad Max movies came out?

Are you old enough to drive?

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/18/08 2:31 p.m.

Yep way old enough, I'm 28, been driving since I was 12

Got my old Camaro the day I turned 16 traded my only Elcamino for it (never really counted the Camino as I never drove the thing legal like) Built the thing up to the point that I had to get a second car as a daily driver. Man was that Camaro fun, first car I ever drifted in, granted I had never heard of drifting at the time

Oh and you do realize the first movie came out in 1980 right? Its as old as I am.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/18/08 2:42 p.m.

Yes...I wish superchargers weren't so darn pricey!

And yes...drifting was what we did around the "Caution 15 mph" ess curves on the backroad! Woohoo! (I did it in an el camino too...)

I need to see the Mad Max movii again!

Clem

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/18/08 2:50 p.m.

Yeah that is what kept me from setting up the supercharger before was how much the freakin thing cost. I have a buddy that is a good scrounger and can more then likely find me one for a good deal. Heck out here I might be able to find one for cheap that needs to be rebuilt or something.

Oh if you can watch it with the original Aussie audio, way different than the dubbed American version.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/18/08 2:52 p.m.

Use a 4 BAR MAPDaddy dual MAP sensor with MegaSquirt. No mapping problems at all. Kid.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/18/08 2:57 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: Hehe now if I could just figure out a way to make the blower shut off and the engine still run decent I'd be real happy, to bad that is just movie magic . I suppose you could use some sort of clutch assembly to engage and disengage the supercharger, but then you would have to figure out a way to deal with all the timing and air fuel mix differences. Hmmm you would also have to find a happy medium with the cam and compression ratios....but damn would it be cool. Oh come on I know I'm not the only one here that has thought about it...

Two words: Toyota Previa.

It had an electromagnetic clutch on the supercharger that would turn it on when the car needed the boost, but then turn it off for fuel economy. Unlike a turbo, the boost was available NOW, so it gave that added kick instantly (customers must have liked that).

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/18/08 2:57 p.m.

Dr. Hess I just might have to pick your brain on setting up the injection for this beast if I go through with it...Its been lurking around in my brain long enough that I need to just do it so I can get it outa my system

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/18/08 3:03 p.m.

Ask whatever you want. I am not a MegaSquirt forced induction expert. The three vehicles I have MS'ed are all NA. I do have the MAPDaddy 4 bar sensor on all of them, though. I'm sure there are supercharger experts on the MS site(s) when you get to that point. Just start plenty fat with boost and don't try to lean it out too much. It seems like the standard when mapping a boosted motor is to start fat, lean it out until you blow the top of a piston out the exhaust, then rich it up one and you're there.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/18/08 3:18 p.m.

Leave it to Toyota to put something so cool on something so mundane

Hmmm so I wonder if you could do the map switch with the MS if you used a similar engagement system. Guess I know what I'm going to be doing in my spare time and with my spare money over the next while.

I think the Audi V8 swap will have to take a back seat to this for awhile.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/18/08 3:24 p.m.

Hey, I'm 43 and was a kid when the first Mad Max movie came out. What a huge influence that had on me, even though I knew early on the 'clutch' supercharger was just a gimmick.

I had the same thought with the Previa/MR2 supercharger. It has a clutch. Had I decided to build my ToyoSpit with that engine, I would have added the shifter mounted switch.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/18/08 3:35 p.m.

So I am not the only one enthralled by the Mad Max clutched supercharger.

Doc, I like your tuning methods.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/18/08 3:50 p.m.

You don't have to map it with the switch. You only have to go off the MAP in your table. Manifold Absolute Pressure. In vacuum, little amount of fuel. In boost, whole bunch of fuel. No different than mapping anything else, just less room for error (BOOOM).

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/18/08 3:52 p.m.

Hmmm me thinks I'm going to have to start looking at electric clutch assemblies....By a quick look it seems on the toyotas the clutch is built into the supercharger itself is that right? Is there something similar that could be used with a regular old school blower? hmmm I really should be working but here I am looking up this stuff...

Looks like there was a Mercedes supercharger with the same setup as the Toyota.

Edit: Hmmm what about using the type of clutch assembly used for an AC unit?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/18/08 4:01 p.m.

Here's my stoopid question: if the clutch disengages the blower, don't the rotors block the airflow? Or do they simply spin by themselves due to engine vacuum? Or is there a bypass, etc?

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/18/08 4:04 p.m.

well i know they make bypasses, its one more thing to look at. I'm also trying to figure out how to get an intercooler into the mix. I know there are some units that sandwich between the engine and the supercharger that are mostly used on boats hmmm

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/18/08 4:12 p.m.

The Nissan truck thing has a SC V6 with a clutch too. Friend of mine had one. Recently sold it for a mommy mobile because the mileage sucked so bad. Don't those Saleen stangs have a clutch? I think virtually every production SC vehicle comes with a clutch. Every one I can think of.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
7/18/08 5:09 p.m.

The Last Run; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067329/plotsummary

also features a lever that activated a supercharger on an old BMW

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
7/18/08 5:18 p.m.

Just use the biggest factory application Eaton SC you can find and use the stock boost bypass. Not quite as Evil as a clutched SC, but probably much easier.

Guess the problem with this idea is if the biggest eaton would supply enough air to keep a 454 happy.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
7/18/08 5:19 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: The Nissan truck thing has a SC V6 with a clutch too. Friend of mine had one. Recently sold it for a mommy mobile because the mileage sucked so bad. Don't those Saleen stangs have a clutch? I think virtually every production SC vehicle comes with a clutch. Every one I can think of.

Not clutch-boost bypass. Just vents the boosted air back to before the intake of the SC. Only costs 1-2 hp to run the SC at cruise.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
7/18/08 5:51 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Just use the biggest factory application Eaton SC you can find and use the stock boost bypass. Not quite as Evil as a clutched SC, but probably much easier. Guess the problem with this idea is if the biggest eaton would supply enough air to keep a 454 happy.

Solution: two eatons.

Easy.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/18/08 5:57 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Solution: two eatons. Easy.

Take two built for a 4cyl and slap one on each cylinder bank.

(Are we joking or being serious? I can't tell which one either of us is doing.)

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/18/08 6:23 p.m.

Actually in all reality when I build the engine I will more than likely use a small block as its just plain cheaper.

Actually I've started playing around with the idea of using one of the eatons on the Audi .

I'd love to find a way to make it work, there are tons of theories out there but no one has really done it yet. Oh except the one guy that took and modified a turbo by taking the exhaust half off and replacing it with a clutch and pulley setup.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/18/08 7:39 p.m.

been helping a build an 82 camaro that would look at home in mad max.

motor, 1976 350 (out of camaro), fancy oilpan, electric waterpump, fancy valvecovers, repainted block and heads, weiland S-charger, scoop through hood with butterflies, Stainless braided lines, ect...

with the smog heads and cam we are expecting about 300-350hp (lame i know) but once he gets the rearend and trans set up its time for new heads and cam (probly internals too)and about 500+hp

car is gutted, has 10pt cage, painted flat black.

you can get a supercharger for a 350 for about $1500-$3000 depending on what you really want. His was something like $1500 and runs out of steam at about 550hp according to what he read.

whats going to be REALLY funny is when i get him to autocross it (we did put koni SA's on it!)

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/18/08 7:58 p.m.

My friend with a 00 Camaro SS (LS1) puts down 480 at the wheels normally aspirated, lets his 19 year old son take it to work. Doesn't need a SC for that HP, just cam, heads, program,...

I've seen those belt driven turbo conversion kits on eBay. I dunno. I think I'd just make a manifold, use a real turbo and be done with it.

Check out eBay, race car parts sites, CL, etc. There was a guy selling a big block cheby cheap on the local radio dial-a-trade. Another was selling two 4 bolt 350s for like a bill. Keep you're eyes open and be ready to jump when you see something you need. Eventually you'll have all the pieces.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Usudnx1ZLBNivi2Oj8c1vyzLCHCRMWBGFtfzYhToDkP02DJN07eOiKhSRrzTtWF6