1 2 3
Enyar
Enyar Dork
9/16/15 8:53 a.m.

Do you have a long lusted for ex girlfriend in Florida that you could move in with?

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
9/16/15 9:27 a.m.

Do you have a resume prepared? Does it list your mechanic experience and military service?

If so, PM it to me and I will forward it to my former company. They are in downtown richmond, close to VCU. You'd likely be building engines or helping others do same, but it's a research lab so no dealer politics or customers. I imagine they would work with you on a school schedule.

Also, I believe most of the virginia schools consider you a resident for tuitions rates after 1 or 2 years, which should mean a decent discount. Not sure how your GI money works, if it's 4 years regardless of cost or a dollar amount and you need to watch your pennies. If the latter, your money will go farther as a resident.

91RSImpulse
91RSImpulse New Reader
9/17/15 12:31 p.m.

TMI AutoTech, Inc. 1025 Raceplex Rd, Alton, VA 24520 is an exclusive Ariel Atom builder here in North America... They hold employment events every once in a while but they may be worth checking out!!!

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
9/17/15 2:01 p.m.

Good thought, but TMI is a good 3.5 hours away from downtown Richmond (they are at the VIR complex).

The new Stone Brewing facility should be opening relatively soon; maybe look at a wrenching gig on plant equipment there?

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
9/17/15 4:48 p.m.

How long have you been out of the military? If it's less than 3 years (80~% sure it's 3) then there is a form you can get from the VA that gets you in state tuition rates.

Also, get started on your eligibility form as soon as you can. It takes a few months for them to process it. I'm on month 3 for mine.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
9/17/15 5:07 p.m.

Industrial Equipment Maintenance seems like a sweet gig, as long as your not getting fried or crushed by the equipment your working on. Combines the mechanical problem solving with the "doing something different daily" type of gig.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/15 8:26 p.m.

Copier tech? Not that I'd wish that upon anyone...

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
9/17/15 8:57 p.m.

In reply to Flynlow:

Replied and thank you!

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
9/17/15 8:58 p.m.

In reply to 91RSImpulse:

Yes it is a good day trip but not a DD trip, though it would be a dream job.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
9/30/15 7:32 p.m.

Update, the move went great(just got internet hooked up today lol) and was lucky enough to actually get past a computer to get a second interview with a sorta local Rolls Royce plant and am excited to hear something from them soon, though not putting all my eggs in one basket I'm also working with a local recruiting company to try and get something going ASAP.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/30/15 7:49 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: So long story short we are moving from Baltimore to Richmond,va area. My girlfriend and I are both excited to leave the insanity here, problem I'm having at the moment is there are more then plenty of jobs for a mechanic down the area, but I can't stand the industry or the lack of progression of being a mechanic. Now I do have the GI bill to use and have every intention of doing that but I dont know if I can mentally handle another wrenching job to put food on the table, so do I just suck it up and do the best I can until a break down or do I start looking elsewhere and lose money but have sanity?

Is the move settled? Are you wanting to move to Richmond, other than just wanting to leave Baltimore, or is something putting you there?

If I had it to do all over again, I would figure out where I wanted to live, and then look at what I could do to support my lifestyle there that I enjoyed.

I enjoy engineering, but it isn't my passion, because cradle to grave engineering doesn't exist anymore except for a very select few. I have lived multiple areas, loathed a few and loved a few. Never really felt at home till New Orleans, but life caused us to move. I enjoy Falls Church, but outside of that I am not that amused at the area. I can live my life in Falls Church, but if I had to move to Arlington, I am not sure I could say the same thing.

My point is, I followed my dream and found that, although I liked my jobs, I didn't like the people or the culture I was in.

You may be tired of wrenching, and you said you were tired of Baltimore's crap, but is Richmond the answer?

Find a place you love, around people you like, and then use that GI bill to give you a career that will enjoy there.

I wish someone would have told me this when I was in High School.

EDIT: I just noticed you got to Richmond. Apparently you posted while I was typing. I hope it is everything you ever wished it was and Good Luck with R.R.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
9/30/15 9:16 p.m.

I have some in laws in the Richmond area, and am up there a couple times a year.

I'll have to look you up.

Congrats on the move, and welcome to the right side of the mason dixon. You'll like it here. Especially bbq...

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
9/30/15 10:32 p.m.

Where in Richmond are you?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/1/15 4:22 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Congrats on the move, and welcome to the right side of the mason dixon. You'll like it here. Especially bbq...

When did he cross it?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
10/1/15 5:33 a.m.

I swear I thought the mason dixon ran the Virginia/Maryland border, not Maryland/Pennsylvania border.

Ill go back to my corner now.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/1/15 5:45 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I thought the same thing till a few years ago when a Maryland resident pointed it out to me. Don't feel bad.

In all fairness, the food in the DC-Baltimore metro area sucks unless it is seafood or burgers. But Richmonds isn't much better.

I miss New Orleans.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/15 6:20 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: In all fairness, the food in the DC-Baltimore metro area sucks unless it is seafood or burgers. But Richmonds isn't much better.

What?? No. Maybe in the burbs, but there's awesome food actually in DC. Same for some places in Baltimore.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
10/1/15 7:32 a.m.
Flight Service wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: Congrats on the move, and welcome to the right side of the mason dixon. You'll like it here. Especially bbq...
When did he cross it?

Maryland is not the south and don't let anyone tell you that it is lol

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
10/1/15 7:33 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: In reply to Dusterbd13: I thought the same thing till a few years ago when a Maryland resident pointed it out to me. Don't feel bad. In all fairness, the food in the DC-Baltimore metro area sucks unless it is seafood or burgers. But Richmonds isn't much better. I miss New Orleans.

Good food is anywhere, some places though you have to dig a bit more to find it.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
10/1/15 7:36 a.m.
fiesta54 wrote: Where in Richmond are you?

Around Petersburg/Ft lee area, still getting used to the kindness of it all again, Baltimore to here is quite a drastic change lol.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
10/1/15 7:40 a.m.

If I were moving to Richmond, VA has a booming craft brewing industry right now. If I were moving there, I'd be looking for a job related to that. Okay, that's what I do.

Even as someone who wrenches for a living, see if you can get a job doing site maintenance for one of the breweries. Keep their bottling lines and boilers running properly.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/15 7:52 a.m.

Richmond, VA - Capitol of the Confederacy.

How are you with people? Is moving up to a store manager or regional sales manager an option in the future?

How about moving from a mechanic to a service technician for other types of equipment? Being a regional service tech responsible for a geographic territory is a job that is in demand for everything from cars to forklifts to robots to elevators. Find a company that has a unique product that needs servicing, and that takes a skill set beyond what you can learn in a trade school. For example, automated sortation equipment or high-speed material handling systems. They require electrical, hydraulic and mechanical skills along with computer and troubleshooting skills. All things a good mechanic are already pretty good at. Or how about this thing: Robot Golf Mower There are all kinds of things out there that need fixing, many involve travel and adventure.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/1/15 12:30 p.m.
bluej wrote:
Flight Service wrote: In all fairness, the food in the DC-Baltimore metro area sucks unless it is seafood or burgers. But Richmonds isn't much better.
What?? No. Maybe in the burbs, but there's awesome food actually in DC. Same for some places in Baltimore.

I have tried every place that has been recommended and...

Remember, I am grading on a curve. Move to NoLa, you would understand.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/1/15 12:43 p.m.

I always pitch this, but working with CNC equipment is a pretty sweet gig, and plenty of opportunity for growth/advancement. If you can get proficient in 4 axis cell/robotics programming, you can easily get into the 80-90k area, and if you can get fluent with 5 axis thinking, you can easily make over 100k. All of this while commanding robots to do your bidding! Muwhahahahaha!

Source: Was a multiaxis machining applications engineer, now I work on the software development side.

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
10/1/15 6:22 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

But then you'd have to move to New Orleans....

I'd much rather live elsewhere and just learn to cook :).

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wdphaMgt3ZjfAMwkrijKjZvYxpHYBLBVdpEgPeZOPmxWAbeBbhzxZaXx5BdrOJ60