1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 27
Gary
Gary SuperDork
5/5/18 7:48 p.m.

So now it's Saturday night, and I know strictly speaking, Saturday isn't part of the original thread. However, Annie and I are drinking by the firepit tonight. I'm drinking more "Butter" chardonnay. And Annie (bless her heart) is drinking Dewer's on ice. (I like scotch too, but I'm drinking wine tonight). Cheers. 

Gary
Gary SuperDork
5/11/18 7:31 p.m.

Le Crema Chardonnay

Le Crema is another chardonay that benefits from secondary malolactic fermentation. In other words, it results in a buttery flavor to the end product.

Annie and I went to Aquilante's for dinner and Mary made me a great Beefeater martini. Now we're home and drinking great some California chardonnay. And no poutine.

I'm trying to keep this great thread going thanks to the OP "bravenrace." So, how's your Friday night?

bravenrace, My Man, I hope all is well with you. Where are you?

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
5/11/18 7:52 p.m.

We just finished this bottle off.  19 crimes has a cool phone app to look at their labels with.

it went with grilled steaks, sweet potatoes, and zucchini.  So tasty!!

Gary
Gary SuperDork
5/11/18 8:24 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy): 

Interesting. I will look for it!

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/11/18 8:47 p.m.

Sitting here sipping a Smithwick's.  Life if good.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
5/18/18 7:01 p.m.

Happy Friday night folks, despite the bad news coming out of Texas. Annie and I are drinking this Great Cab. Earlier we were at Aquilante's. I had a Beefeater Martini and Annie had a glass of wine. As I said, try to have a good Friday night.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
5/19/18 8:59 p.m.

Why is everything in this house so healthy?

All I want to do is get drunk and eat cheezits...

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/1/18 6:49 p.m.

In reply to The0retical:

Yeah ... like alcohol is a health food! smiley (I know you're joking). But screw it. Alcohol on Friday night is a necessity for folks still working.  And for me the same, even though I'm retired. I had a Beefeater martini and a glass of Louie Martini Cabernet at Aquilante's tonight. Now we're at home with a bottle of Bordeaux from Joyal's. Happy weekend!

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/18 6:52 p.m.

So, apparently I have unlocked something Slavic in my genes, because peppered vodka tastes like the best thing in the world to me.

That and Sriracha on everything, but that may be the inner hipster that I try to beat down and keep in a cage in some dark dank basement.  But that's okay, it's kind of an exclusive basement, you probably haven't heard of it.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/1/18 6:57 p.m.

Hmmm, peppered vodka. Sounds interesting. I'm inclined to try that.

Knurled.
6/1/18 7:01 p.m.

In reply to Gary :

It's apparently common in Russia.  Experimenting at EvanB's place over Memorial Day weekend, four or five twists of a pepper grinder over a tumbler of vodka and three ice cubes is the perfect mix.

Except I prefer Sobieski.  I'm Polish, dammit, not Russian.  (Well, if rumors on the father's side of the family are true, maybe 1/8 Russian, but mostly Polish)

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/1/18 7:08 p.m.

Well, that sounds very good, and quite simple. I will try it. I'm half Polish heritage myself (reknowned lovers of vodka ... and whiskey) and I believe that heritage contributes to my thorough appreciation of alcohol beverage and it's advantages. I know my grandfather and uncles felt that way, and advanced it, bless their hearts. So this is right up my alley!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/4/18 8:35 a.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to Gary :

It's apparently common in Russia.  Experimenting at EvanB's place over Memorial Day weekend, four or five twists of a pepper grinder over a tumbler of vodka and three ice cubes is the perfect mix.

Except I prefer Sobieski.  I'm Polish, dammit, not Russian.  (Well, if rumors on the father's side of the family are true, maybe 1/8 Russian, but mostly Polish)

For the price point, Sobieski can't be beat. The better half and I stumbled upon this last year. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
6/14/18 7:42 p.m.

Thursday is like Friday, only different, right?  Jack and Pepsi, just to take the edge off after a busy 80% of the week.  And tomorrow is looking slammed, too.

I choose not to bitch, because it's be horribly slow for two years here.  Its broken loose now, though, just like it always does eventually when the economy has been sucking. 

Knurled.
6/14/18 8:19 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Park yourself geographically between Germans and Russians, you will develop good coping skills.  Also, apparently, very good intelligence skills..

Speaking of price points.  What is going on with Maker's Mark?  A 750ml bottle is now listed at $22.95.  A liter is listed at $37.95.  i am no mathematician but I see a real discontinuity,  here.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
6/14/18 9:12 p.m.

I also need to stock up on Jack before we put our tariffs on that sort of thing.

That'll teach you to put tariffs on our steel and aluminum. 

As an aside, the list of Canadian revenge tariffs are amusingly specific, and aimed at a few specific groups.  It's worth googling for the giggles.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/15/18 9:07 p.m.

Friday night. Congrats to you working folks who work a Monday through Friday schedule. You made it through another week. I remember how significant and enjoyable Friday night used to be. Actually it still is. But anyway, have the drink of your choice, relax and enjoy the evening.

Annie and I were late to the game tonight. We got to Aquilante's too late for a place at the bar. That happens. So back to our usual hangout "Bill's Place," and we scored the last two seats at the bar there thanks to proprietor Bill. Friday nights are always crowded. Kevin made me a great Beefeater martini, followed up by a couple glasses of generic so-so house Chardonnay. The desired result was acheived. Now we're home listening to our favorite news channel. (K-man knows which outlet that is). Happy Friday everyone.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/15/18 9:11 p.m.

I'm not sure what the ABV of this beer is, but it feels potent...

Image may contain: drink

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/22/18 8:09 p.m.

This is a special Friday. The Thompson Vintage Festival is this weekend. So I met up with three, actually four, forum members today: stu76tiger (Stu), aeronca (Nial), and OFRacing (Mike) at the track today. And, our great friend Tom Letourneau (of GRM "Ran when Parked" fame as well as rally-master extraordinaire) met me in the parking lot with the Thompson shuttle service cart and brought me promptly to the infield restroom (too much morning coffee). Beautiful weather. Tomorrow's weather isn't going to be as good. So tonight, in keeping with the original premise of our forum friend "bravenrace" (BTW, where the berkin-berk are you, my man?), I'm drinking an adult beverage of choice, which happens to be a very good Bordeaux. However, my local liquor store guy told me tonight that the well has gone dry, and the 2010 vintage I've been buying by the case for the past year is gone ... done ... finis ... out of stock from the importer and generally all drank up (drunk-up?). So I'm bummed ... but really enjoying this last bottle. However, I'm pretty sure there's something else that will satisfy my taste for good red wine.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
7/27/18 5:45 p.m.

It's been a pretty good Friday. I accomplished all of my objectives ... for a retired guy. Cut the grass, cleaned the mower, cut some errant branches, weed whacked along the fence line, and shored up the wood pile. Working folks at Bill's would laugh at me, and they have. But I don't care. I laugh at them. I've earned this lifestyle after around 60 years of years of working for a wage (48 years of that paying into SS), and I appreciate my life now. So tonight Annie and I went to Aquilante's and had a great dinner ... including a Beefeater martini and a glass of Louie Martini cab. Now we're home with a bottle of Bordeaux. (Incidentally, we're looking forward to our Viking River Cruise in the three rivers of the Bordeaux region in France in October. That will be fun). And I'm also finishing a partially-eaten frozen Klondike bar that one of the grand daughters started the other night but didn't finish because she wanted a Popsicle instead. So that's a pretty good treat.

So, what are you doing tonight?

Knurled.
7/28/18 11:59 p.m.

Nu pizdec.

Knurled.
7/29/18 12:16 a.m.

Down tp 0 running cars.  much Sobieski and Maker's Mark.  and pickles.

100% must drink pickle juice

Knurled.
7/30/18 6:53 p.m.

... I assume Evan upvoted both of those comments.

It is true.  If you feel like complete E36 M3 when you wake up in the morning because you consumed maybe an excessive amount of distilled spirits, eat a pickle or two and drink the juice.  You will feel better almost immediately.  Not an exaggeration, either.  You can almost hear the Popeye music in your head as you drink that magic elixir straight from the Vlasic jar.

I think this is because your body chemistry uses the same processes to deal with the vinegar (acetaldehyde) as it does to deal with the alcohol metabolites.

Or maybe this is some sort of genetic chemistry cheat code only available to those of Eastern European descent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFMK7bQ1pjE

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/30/18 7:01 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

It was me, because you speak the truth. When one is berkeleyed up, one should drink the juice of the pickle. laugh

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/18 7:14 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

Endurance athletes drink pickle juice to alleviate muscle cramps.  I was skeptical but i tried it and it works!

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 27

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YB5l5sVkRMKropf72iwPRW5dVWLKJOuYLmwgbAz4WSANJBwDSH0LjN1D5DzHMk3e