1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 27
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/19 8:25 a.m.

So what is everyone embibing for the holiday. Are people getting out the top shelf stuff or is it what ever is with In reach.  

oh and what goes with Turkey dinner?  I need a drink menu for thanks giving. Should be three drinks. A pre dinner drink one to have at the table with food and an after the meal beverage.  

Before any one sais it Beer Beer and Beer does work but we are wanting to be a bit more diverse in our drink menus. . 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/28/19 9:36 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

A pre dinner drink one to have at the table with food and an after the meal beverage.  

My suggestion for a balanced meal...

Some high test sipping shine before the meal to break the ice:

Nice Red wine with the meal

And finish the evening off with  a shot or two of Absinthe as you explore the philosophical diversity of your family members.

Turkey is optional.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
11/28/19 12:19 p.m.

What brand is that absinthe? I don't care if its good or not, I just want that bottle.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/28/19 12:31 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Skull Antitoxin Absinthe 500ml, 89.9%

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/28/19 1:28 p.m.

I'm opening with a bourbon, amaretto and cherry Coke in a 30 oz yeti. I forgot to buy grapefruits so I can't make greyhounds later, but I have enough beer to be considered bootlegging. So I might be ok. 

Gary
Gary SuperDork
11/28/19 8:21 p.m.

It's not Friday, but I like this thread, so I'll tell you what I'm drinking on a Thursday night.  Our local pub opened (first time for T-Day evening). Bar only.  No food. Our traditional T-Day with our son and family was off because the whole family was sick. So Annie and I made alternate plans. Aquilante's for dinner at 3:00. And then our mainstay pub Bill's opened at  5:00. So back to this drinking thread. One glass of J Lohr at Aquilante's, three or maybe four of the house merlot at Bill's. Back home, I ran out of my favorite Bordeaux, but we have a few cans of something called "Truly" hard seltzer in the fridge. And we also have a bottle of Smirnoff  vodka in the freezer. So I'm introducing them to each other and they're getting along quite well. And I'm liking it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/28/19 8:50 p.m.

In reply to Gary :

Truly is what you drink when you're on probation from your last white claw binge. 

Gary
Gary SuperDork
11/28/19 9:14 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Acknowledged. It's what you also drink when there's nothing left to drink in the house. Shame on me for not having the foresight for having more Bordeaux in the basement. I'm glad we had Smirnoff's in the freezer.  But we just returned from a two week trip to Palm Springs, so not much time to stock up.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
11/30/19 7:43 p.m.

Sorry, bravenrace my friend, seems like we're doing this on every other night than Friday. But I'm still having a drink or two on Saturday and enjoying it. I've switched off from red wine to white ... because I have a dentist appointment on Tuesday. And I want to eliminate the tongue stain. So this is my Saturday night this week: white wine and watching Mark, Jesse, Jeanine and Greg. I'll make the most of the white wine.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/30/19 8:00 p.m.

Stout so big, it drinks like a meal...

Gary
Gary SuperDork
12/2/19 7:43 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

Nice! Enjoy the stout. You know, Gertrude Stein was a brilliant and very intellectual American woman living in Paris in the 1920's. For those who may not know, she helped Ernest Hemingway edit some of his early best sellers. That was considered the lost generation. So that's a great name for this beer!!!

Gary
Gary SuperDork
12/6/19 10:01 p.m.

Bravenrace, my man. I don't know if you're monitoring this thread, but on this Friday I'll tell you my boring escapades. Dinner at Aquilante's with a few glasses of Louie Martini California Cabernet. We did run into friends and former colleagues, and had good conversation. Then came home to a bottle of great Bordeaux in our living room, enjoyed Annie's Christmas decorations, and listened to George Winston's "December" album on Amazon music. Maybe boring, but still enjoyable.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
12/6/19 10:55 p.m.

I got this book called The 12 Bottle Bar a few years ago, but never really dug into it. The whole premise is that you can have a pretty decent home bar with only 12 bottles of booze ( there are 9,6, and 3 bottle options too).   The wife and I have been trying different cocktails and so far we've liked just about everything. Tonight it's the Saratoga.

1 oz brandy

1 oz rye whiskey

1 oz sweet vermouth

2 dashes bitters

Add all ingredients to a mixing glass, fill with ice, stir until cold then strain into martini glass. Garnish with a lemon wheel. 

This week felt like we were barely surviving, so it's nice to have something special to toast to Friday. 

If you'll excuse me, I think I'll mix up another. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/14/19 11:33 p.m.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... Jack Honey

Gary
Gary SuperDork
12/27/19 8:00 p.m.

Ahh, Friday. But it really doesn't mean anything to us anymore because we're both retired. Anyway, we had dinner at Aquilante's with working folks and enjoyed their stories of working life. Now home and drinking La Crema Chardonnay ... which is unusual for me because I  usually drink red wine. However, I have a dentist appointment Monday morning, so I have to keep my teeth clean for then.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
12/27/19 8:04 p.m.

In reply to Gary :

I have a dentist appointment on Tuesday. I don't drink wine, so I'm not concerned about staining my teeth, heh. But I am halfway into my second extra big Bitter Jack & Coke.

Cheers. 

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
12/31/19 9:34 p.m.

Fourth pint of local barleywine. Happy New Year, you delinquents.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/31/19 9:37 p.m.

In reply to JohnInKansas :

I've had exactly one old forester and coke. I've been playing GTA all night and now my hands hurt. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
12/31/19 10:34 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I'm having an Old Forrester (rocks) right now.

Make sure you get the 100 and not the 86, the 100 is waay better.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/31/19 10:40 p.m.

Cheers!

Pete

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/1/20 7:27 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

In reply to Mndsm :

I'm having an Old Forrester (rocks) right now.

Make sure you get the 100 and not the 86, the 100 is waay better.

I have a bottle of 100, and a bottle of 1920. Budget wise they're one of the best out there. We can all talk about pappy and Weller, but good luck finding a bottle. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
1/1/20 9:22 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Tell me about it.  I live slap dab in the middle of bourbon country and Wellers has been essentially unobtainable for 4 years.

Doesn't bother me too much though, more opportunity to branch out and experience more things.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
1/1/20 2:40 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Tell me about it.  I live slap dab in the middle of bourbon country and Wellers has been essentially unobtainable for 4 years.

Doesn't bother me too much though, more opportunity to branch out and experience more things.

Next time Weller shows up at my local binnys I'll grab you one.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/20 6:44 p.m.

The host provided this. 

Gary
Gary SuperDork
1/2/20 8:05 p.m.

Anyone still planning to enjoy an adult beverage or two on Friday, or did you overdo it on New Year's and need a break?wink

1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 27

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KTm8WIDq5RDvhqeLqU2FxTuOVT8v1GA8J67cgT9MaCoUThjahaf15KdBnAuESyre