1 2 3 4 5
noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
12/24/08 5:29 p.m.

Tito.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
12/24/08 5:38 p.m.

Tonight I opened with another dirty Martini but now I am into a nice French Bordeaux

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/24/08 6:06 p.m.

Baileys w/hot chocolate. It's freakin' cold out.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry New Reader
12/24/08 6:17 p.m.

Mountain Dew... it was the last one in the fridge. Once that's gone, it's either Jones Cream Soda or I tap into the Jim Beam I got in the cupboard.

Goldmember
Goldmember New Reader
12/24/08 6:53 p.m.

Gosselings Black Seal and ginger ale, because I forgot to get ginger beer this week

Josh
Josh Reader
12/24/08 6:55 p.m.

In reply to neon4891:

How did you like Three Philosphers? I have been sitting on a bottle for a while, sort of afraid to open it, then have to down it in one sitting (nobody else in the house is a beer person). I also just picked up a bottle of Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence stout to have with dinner tomorrow. It'll be hard to to my Thanksgiving choice though, I had a corked bottle of Gouden Carolus Grand Cru of the Emperor, once again had to take care of it myself. It was spicy, sweet, fruity, and, delicious and then I don't remember much after that :).

I think in honor of this thread I will either crack open one of my remaining bottles of Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron (possibly my favorite beer ever), or Stone's Double Bastard (haven't tried it yet, love Arrogant Bastard though).

BTW, Goslings, nice! Just aint a dark and stormy without it. I also haven't had a Delerium Tremens in a while, and my beer tastes have evolved quite a bit in the ensuing years, so I'm sure it would be a whole new experience now. I almost grabbed a St. Bernardus Abt 12 yesterday too, I'll have to keep an eye out.

Josh
Josh Reader
12/24/08 6:56 p.m.

Goldmember, I'll have to pick up some of Maine Root's ginger beer for the next time we cross paths. It's fantastic, and I want to see how it works in a dark and stormy .

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
12/24/08 7:26 p.m.
walterj wrote:
Tommy Suddard wrote:
Paint remover?

Battery terminal cleaner!

I have been buying more beer than I have been drinking lately, there is a disturbance in the force. I plan on righting things between now and January 5 when I have to come back to the dungeon.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
12/24/08 8:09 p.m.

Vodka and lemonade.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
12/24/08 8:30 p.m.

Others have commented on the Dark and Stormy with different Ginger Beer or Ale. I have found nothing that makes it as perfect as Barritt's and Gosling's. That leads me to the question:

What other Ginger Beer/Ale do you like with your rum and is it as good? Does it compare to Barritt's

The reason that I ask is that here in Northern Ohio, I can not get Barritt's locally. I have to have a friend in Annapolis, MD bring it to me.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/24/08 8:50 p.m.

Josh, 3 pilosophers is STRONG. I downed an entire large bottle in one sitting back in the summer. That was some potent E36 M3. Very bold flavor, a little on the harsh side, then again pilsner is my current go to. turns out my friend i picked up the three pack for got one for me too. I'm looking forward to the chocolate indulgence.

BTW, if you see the Ommagang 'chalice', one large bottle will fill two of those

Goldmember
Goldmember New Reader
12/24/08 9:16 p.m.

In reply to jrw1621:

If you like a mild ginger flavor, Reeds Ginger Beer is pretty good. I can get it here in NH @ Hannaford Bros supermarket in the natural food section.

If you like super hot, burn your lips off ginger(like I do ) try Goya Jamaican style Ginger Beer. Hann.'s carries that in the "ethnic" section, and the bottles are usually covered in dust

Josh
Josh Reader
12/24/08 10:26 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: Josh, 3 pilosophers is STRONG. I downed an entire large bottle in one sitting back in the summer. That was some potent E36 M3. Very bold flavor, a little on the harsh side, then again pilsner is my current go to. turns out my friend i picked up the three pack for got one for me too. I'm looking forward to the chocolate indulgence. BTW, if you see the Ommagang 'chalice', one large bottle will fill two of those

A trip to the fridge confirms that Three Philosophers weighs in at 9.8% ABV, which is hefty, but not the highest I've had. The 22oz Double Bastard I just polished off is 10.5%, for example, and I feel reasonably coherent. The Chocolate Indulgence is a bit less ominous at 7%. Palo Santo Marron is 12% and unbelievably smooth, but I cant fathom more than a 12oz. at a time.

I'm not a great fan of Pilseners, I generally want something with a bit more heft, be it in hops, malt, or both, such as the Double Bastard, but the best pilsener that I have tried is Victory's Prima Pils. Worth a try if you are in their distribution zone. I've been drinking a lot of their Storm King Stout lately as well.

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
12/24/08 10:47 p.m.
Josh wrote:
neon4891 wrote: Josh, 3 pilosophers is STRONG. I downed an entire large bottle in one sitting back in the summer. That was some potent E36 M3. Very bold flavor, a little on the harsh side, then again pilsner is my current go to. turns out my friend i picked up the three pack for got one for me too. I'm looking forward to the chocolate indulgence. BTW, if you see the Ommagang 'chalice', one large bottle will fill two of those
A trip to the fridge confirms that Three Philosophers weighs in at 9.8% ABV, which is hefty, but not the highest I've had. The 22oz Double Bastard I just polished off is 10.5%, for example, and I feel reasonably coherent. The Chocolate Indulgence is a bit less ominous at 7%. Palo Santo Marron is 12% and unbelievably smooth, but I cant fathom more than a 12oz. at a time. I'm not a great fan of Pilseners, I generally want something with a bit more heft, be it in hops, malt, or both, such as the Double Bastard, but the best pilsener that I have tried is Victory's Prima Pils. Worth a try if you are in their distribution zone. I've been drinking a lot of their Storm King Stout lately as well.

It was ok.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/25/08 2:59 p.m.

Dana and I have been on a cruise since Saturday and have been putting away a lot of these:

You buy a card and you get five of the special drinks of the day for the price of four. All of them have names like "Bahamian nut thumper" and "Rumpocalypse" and "I hold you hair while you puke, mon."

All are built on the "mexican food construction principle" which basically takes meat, beans, cheese and lettuce and puts it on a tortilla and calls it any of ten different things. Basically it's rum, flavored brandy, some fruit liqueur, some citrus juice (so you don't get scurvy) and a little paper umbrella.

You have to be a bad MoFo to drink something with a little paper umbrella.

jg

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
12/25/08 9:04 p.m.

I found it interesting how as I drove home yesterday, the liquor stores had some of the most packed parking lots of anywhere. I guess you have to make family bearable somehow!

Goldmember
Goldmember New Reader
12/26/08 12:28 a.m.
MitchellC wrote: I guess you have to make family bearable somehow!

That statement is so true it hurts.

johnhammer
johnhammer New Reader
12/26/08 5:39 a.m.
MitchellC wrote: I found it interesting how as I drove home yesterday, the liquor stores had some of the most packed parking lots of anywhere. I guess you have to make family bearable somehow!

Dang, I knew I was forgetting something!

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
12/26/08 8:31 a.m.
SupraWes wrote:
walterj wrote:
Tommy Suddard wrote:
Paint remover?
Battery terminal cleaner!

Just FYI: Acid + Acid = mess. Acid + Base = clean battery terminals (use baking soda instead.)

Anyway, I got a little burned out on vodka-tonics and switched to 7 & 7 as my staple drink, with JD Single Barrell (oh god, that made my mouth water a little) for shootin'/sippin'.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
12/26/08 6:14 p.m.

I've got some bug, so it's water and broth for me. Sucks.

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
12/27/08 5:14 p.m.

Started on some Glennfiddich before the wife and I head out to sample the local cuisine. It looks good too! The Orchard

eratus
eratus New Reader
12/28/08 6:50 p.m.

I'm making a kamikaze to finish off the weekend.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/28/08 7:12 p.m.

Some really nice Cabernet Sauvignon (La Sirena - Napa Valley - 2005). Coming into its own really well right now.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
12/28/08 7:23 p.m.

Coffee and Muscat is the order of this evening

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/28/08 7:34 p.m.

I ran out of Gin for G&T's, and I'm out of J&B for Scotch and Soda's...I am drinking Blue Moon Harvest Moon for now.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ioqIJIfYgUEEkXn3tudtTPo6HDjjJTXD7wwEiRsL0Rkp7A5UVoVTgioicmgeTxkH