1 ... 3 4 5
impulsive
impulsive New Reader
1/2/09 10:20 p.m.
How is the Ballantine XXX? Gave some to a relative for Christmas and curious to try it myself. The cheap price sounds enticing also..

so you've never tasted it, it's cheap, you're curious, and you live in the region that it is actually available for purchase... what are you waiting for?

obviously I like it, some don't. but if you have an appreciation for beer history and old school domestics you might enjoy it. plus it's cheap and not the same old tasteless fizzy macro crap.

it's a bit skunkish with fruity citrus notes, dank like sk1 x nl5. like what Heineken wishes it could be. best drank on it's own, no other brews before hand.

sadly, I must wait until my next visit back to NJ before I quaff another.

http://www.falstaffbrewing.com/ballantine_ale.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballantine_(brewery)

slefain
slefain Dork
1/2/09 10:40 p.m.

Currently: a glass of "Real Estate Agent Soccer Mom" red wine, the kind that comes in gallon jugs. It was leftover from making mulled wine for the holidays. Waste not, want not I say.

Although lately I have discovered the most wonderful kind of beer called "old chubb". Seems to be an irish style beer that is aged in whiskey barrels. My favorite is "Oscar Blues Old Chubb". It's got a fantastic bitter taste with a whiskey finish. Oh, and it's 8.5% to boot.

I'll drink damn near anything, although now that I'm not a poor college student I've found that my tastes have improved. No more Olde English 800 for me.

92dxman
92dxman Reader
1/3/09 10:20 a.m.

In reply to impulsive:

Sounds good from the description. I like something with a little sweet in it. Is Ballantine hard come to by in Arizona?

I need to drink cheaper beers when I go out. Had a glass of Sam Adams Winter Lager last night at Fridays with a couple people and it was darn tasty but not worth $4.69! Should've been drinking the PBR which was $1.50 a glass. Oh well, one of the other people was drinking Miller Lite and he forked up $4.19 a glass

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
1/6/09 7:40 p.m.

Luke
Luke Dork
1/6/09 7:52 p.m.

I see your priorities are in order, there. Drinking beer > studying large box of statistics. Nice.

Josh
Josh Reader
1/6/09 9:59 p.m.
Luke wrote: I see your priorities are in order, there. Drinking beer > studying large box of statistics. Nice.

It's OK, looks like it's baby Stats for businesstards, not the real one the engineers take .

Somehow, despite my love of over the top beers, I have never tried any of the Unibroue offerings. Gotta get on that.

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
1/7/09 8:53 a.m.
Josh wrote: It's OK, looks like it's baby Stats for businesstards, not the real one the engineers take . Somehow, despite my love of over the top beers, I have never tried any of the Unibroue offerings. Gotta get on that.

You should try La Fin. It is a nice easy beer with a good flavor. It some what reminds me of a Blue Moon (Which I call an Orange and Blue, Gator fan you know) but without the citrusy taste.

Now about that businesstards thing... I am also an accountant'ard. But you can just call me crazy because I am taking 15 hours of graduate classes. Won't be posting/reading to much on the board this semester.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
1/7/09 9:20 a.m.

I'm finishing off orphan beer. I had a keg of Newcastle at my house for the NYE party, and although it didn't take long to float, people had enough foresight to bring back up beer, and enough couth to leave the leftovers.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
1/7/09 9:23 a.m.

How about bottling a beer and naming it "Skewed Bell Curve Lager", or "Standard Deviation Stout".

Statisticians can be beer lovers too.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/7/09 9:25 a.m.

Why don't you and your friends get with me and my friends and...um...your friends can teach my friends commongoddamnedcourtesy.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/7/09 9:58 a.m.

The best cheap beer i've found tonite! Rolling Rock. Nums

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
1/7/09 3:46 p.m.
Rangeball wrote:

So I guess Statistics=the end of the world?

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
1/7/09 3:56 p.m.
SupraWes wrote:
Rangeball wrote:
So I guess Statistics=the end of the world?

I was trying to write something smart from what I have learned, but my head hurts now. I think I need another beer...

motomoron
motomoron New Reader
1/8/09 8:44 p.m.

There's some Macallan 12 year old left in my flask from yesterday.

How's it hold up in a chrome plated brass flask?

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
1/9/09 6:45 p.m.

Last night's drinks (from what I can remember): Winter Lager, Sam Adams, Hobgoblin, Jaeger, red bull, Guinness, whiskey (unknown), Bailey's Irish cream, Optimator, ...

Today: WATER, Gatorade, coffee

GO GATORS!!!!!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
1/9/09 9:12 p.m.

back to this tonight

wcelliot
wcelliot New Reader
1/14/09 11:29 a.m.

Junior Johnson Midnight Moon

http://www.juniorsmidnightmoon.com/

I grew up very close to here (and Mr. Johnson is actually a family friend)... and a lot of my mother's family spend the 30's-50's in jail,,, we had a huge moonshine operation during that period.

So I grew up drinking it... never understood the attraction of beer! ;-) After sources for the decent stuff dried up in the 80's (many of the guys brewing it used the tobacco downturn to move to growing pot in the previous tobacco operations) I migrated to blended whisky and eventually single malts.

For years the only "legal" moonshine was Georgia Moon which I think went out of it's way to be a caricature of moonshine... harsh, hot, and shallow. Nasty stuff.

Now excepting a taste I had of a hobby home-brewer a couple of years ago, this new release is the closest thing I've found to the quality moonshine I had growing up. It could be slightly sweeter, but otherwise ranks nicely as some of the best I've had.

Anyone who has been curious about what real moonshine tasted like should try it... cheap at about $20, but limited availability. (I've not yet found a bottle of Catdaddy... looking forward to trying that as well.)

Bill

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hjuaFNsnDWYXsGvmUCPNwra1D1bWkPCROHDY7IptUjebP26LdpmVYpjdFCDPPFWN