dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
11/18/13 12:47 p.m.

The wife and I are trying to come up with ideas for our 12 y.o. son. Thanks Dan

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/18/13 12:48 p.m.

Mine is half that age, but if he was 11 I would be getting him a tool set!

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
11/18/13 12:54 p.m.

Quad-copter. Like this

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/18/13 12:55 p.m.

Step 1- price? Step 2- Interests? Step 3-??? Step 4-profit!

Gut reaction says drift RC car. Make him build it himself. Tamiya TT01. But that's me.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
11/18/13 1:06 p.m.

Open Traxxas catalog, pick something. Buy two so you can race each other. Done.

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
11/18/13 1:24 p.m.

He's had various remote control cars, nothing high dollar or high speed.

He does love cars and guns( the toy kind ).

We usually spend a couple hundred on him.

He tends to grow bored with toys quickly.

Still loves Legos.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/18/13 1:27 p.m.

ski apparel/stuff for a trip to Stowe in Jan.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/18/13 1:31 p.m.

How about the Orvillecopter?

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
11/18/13 1:32 p.m.

A couple of fishing books, and a GC to Bass Pro Shops, a must visit when they come across the border.

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
11/18/13 1:34 p.m.
mistanfo wrote: A couple of fishing books, and a GC to Bass Pro Shops, a must visit when they come across the border.

Across the border?

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/18/13 1:34 p.m.
dankspeed wrote: He's had various remote control cars, nothing high dollar or high speed. He does love cars and guns( the toy kind ). We usually spend a couple hundred on him. He tends to grow bored with toys quickly. Still loves Legos.

Time to get him to build one. Legos tells me he likes to build. This is not surprising. He likes cars. This is also...not surprising. Put the two together and you have a recipe for awesome, plus even the slowest hobby grade cars will kick the crap out of a big box store car.

madpanda
madpanda Reader
11/18/13 1:54 p.m.

My brother in law is 11* and I got him this for Christmas: http://www.wired.com/design/2013/10/meet-gameboys-deformed-younger-sibling/

My thinking is that he is already really into video games and this is a great way to introduce him to the engineering that goes into them both from an electronics and a programming point of view.

The shipping from England does take a bit of time though. The one I bought took three weeks to arrive from the time I ordered it.

*for the dirty minded among you: there is a BIG age difference between my wife and her brother

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/13 1:59 p.m.

A drum kit. Nope: I do not have kids, this is what I will be buying my nephew. I love my sister

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
11/18/13 2:13 p.m.

I have nothing to add, as my kids are now in their 20's, but I learned an important lesson when mine were roughly that age. One year my oldest son asked for a lot of practical stuff, hockey equipment, etc. Christmas day he got everything he wanted... and sat around all day with a long face, because he had nothing to play with. It was painful for me to watch, so every year since, I've given them something to play with Christmas day.

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
11/18/13 2:20 p.m.
madpanda wrote: My brother in law is 11* and I got him this for Christmas: http://www.wired.com/design/2013/10/meet-gameboys-deformed-younger-sibling/ My thinking is that he is already really into video games and this is a great way to introduce him to the engineering that goes into them both from an electronics and a programming point of view. The shipping from England does take a bit of time though. The one I bought took three weeks to arrive from the time I ordered it. *for the dirty minded among you: there is a BIG age difference between my wife and her brother

That does look cool. The buildable rc car could work too.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
11/18/13 5:03 p.m.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
11/18/13 7:28 p.m.

My son seems to want an RC heli. Video games/systems are always on the list as well. He talked us into an RC plane for his 11th birthday and that turned out to be a good purchase. (We went with an Ares Gamma 370). RC flight has come a long way since I was 11 or 12, when it involved messy, poorly running gas engines, unreliable radios and build times in the order of several months. Today's electric "foamies" take an hour or two to build, the radios are dead nuts reliable and, because they weigh next-to-nothing, they don't tend to self destruct in the inevitable "incidents". (We've crashed my son's at least a half dozen times and it still keeps flying) As far as price goes, you can walk out the door with a decent plane for $100-150. Its fun for dads too.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
11/18/13 7:33 p.m.

EBay bicycle motor kit, tools to work on it with, and a Craigslist bicycle.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
11/18/13 7:36 p.m.

Razor Crazy Cart & a swiss army knife.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/18/13 7:38 p.m.

My 13 year old is getting a backpack and a sheath knife. He asked for both. He went camping on the weekend with his scout troop and showed them how to light a fire in the rain..... He used a leaf blower.

sailos
sailos New Reader
11/19/13 7:20 a.m.

I think tool set is ok, or bicycle or play station

RossD
RossD PowerDork
11/19/13 7:38 a.m.

Ruger 10/22

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/19/13 8:33 a.m.

my nephew is a little younger than that, but probably a kayak

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
49rtbnigdtmw33ZqejBHIc9s8mlxVfyWHI2zRpIk8ILl4CD9TDdW8lfx5U19cXuZ