1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 ... 237
Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
9/4/20 11:30 p.m.

Ella and Johnny Hodges - great choices.  In the mid sixties i got to see the Duke Ellington orchestra (when it still had 90 % of the best players, including Hodges) at the Eastman Theater in Rochester, New York, with Ella singing with them.  Still possibly the best concert I've ever seen.  I'm a sax player, and for me, the two all-time best alto players were Hodges and Paul Desmond (with Dave Brubeck), and I'm fortunate to have seen them both.

Gary
Gary UltraDork
9/5/20 8:20 p.m.

In reply to Jim Pettengill :

Paul Desmond

Great talent. I took clarinet lessons in 8th-grade and my father arranged for private lessons for me. He wanted me to be Artie Shaw, one of his favorites. But the private instructor was a real dick. I hated him. Terrible teacher. And therefore I shunned playing a musical instrument thereafter. But I still love great clarinet and sax talent. I'm a great fan of locally grown talent Scott Hamilton, now living in the UK.

Scott Hamilton

"East of the Sun, West of the Moon." A guy from Providence, RI, performing in a jazz club in Vienna.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/5/20 8:36 p.m.

In reply to Gary :

I've been playing stringed instruments for nearly 25 years. I lucked out in having some fantastic tutors for violin, but guitar was boring to me. I've found a good challenge in bass guitar, and I'm working on AC/DC bass lines. They're devilishly challenging, despite their simplicity. This is the one I'm working on right now-

Gary
Gary UltraDork
9/5/20 9:10 p.m.

Greg Abate

I personally prefer tenor sax. However, a good friend of ours, Greg Abate, who lives in our hometown, and we frequently get each other's mail and deliveries because our addresses are similar, is an international alto sax celebrity. Great guy. Very personable. We've seen him perform many times and love his talent.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
9/6/20 12:05 a.m.

Tenor is the overall classic sax, but all types have great players.  I didn't mention any tenor players because there are probably at least a dozen I'd have had to name.  Tenor is my main horn (I play probably 70% tenor, 15% alto, 15% baritone, and occasional soprano).  On bari, though, my main man is Gerry Mulligan, then Harry Carney.  For radical modern playing, check put a wild man called Leo P.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/6/20 11:42 a.m.

Berserkir by Danheim. Viking style music off of the restaurant Mjolner's playlist.

Which if you are in Sydney.....go to Mjolner, great place.

Gary
Gary UltraDork
9/8/20 6:45 p.m.

Winston Salem, NC

Sept. 8, 2020

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/9/20 2:54 p.m.

Never heard of these folks before - thanks, YouTube!  Long, groovy, stoner metal - from Spain, no less.

Copper Age - Buerismo:

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/9/20 3:27 p.m.

Another gift from the YouTube algorithm.  Abstract, kind of funky, not sure what you'd classify this.  Croatian instrumental hiphop-ish.

Under Nihilo - Juxtaposition:

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/12/20 7:22 a.m.

The Revivalists - Wish I Knew You

Gary
Gary UltraDork
9/12/20 9:04 p.m.

Wild West End

Listening to vintage Mark at the firepit. It's a beautiful September evening in SoNE. (Burning some dried oak bark).

Gary
Gary UltraDork
9/12/20 9:34 p.m.

David Gilmour

A contemporary version of Shine on You Crazy Diamond.  No Nick Mason on drums, no Richard Wright on keyboard, no Dick Parry on sax, but David was spectacular as usual. And the stand-in sax guy was also superb.

The fire pit is burning down:

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/12/20 10:36 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Hmm....that sounds up my alley

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/20 8:59 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/20 11:03 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Once again you bring the best background music for getting work done.  Well, twice again, technically!

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/14/20 6:19 a.m.

Earl - Tongue Tied

Here come the Mummies - Hard at Work

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/14/20 9:41 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Duke :

Once again you bring the best background music for getting work done.  Well, twice again, technically!

Excellent, thank you!  I'm kind of in charge of daily music for the office, and most days I try to avoid playing stuff everybody has heard a thousand times.  I also have a strong preference for instrumental (or at least abstract) music for working.

I started with a song from the first season of Better Call Saul, called Tune Down by a Swiss French composer named Chris Joss.  I built a Pandora station around that, and then when Pandora started getting past my ad blocker too frequently, I moved on to YouTube.

Today's selection, pretty mellow for a Monday morning -

Zero 7 - Simple Things:

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/14/20 9:48 a.m.

The Under Nihilo stuff is pretty much one person working from home - very talented.

If you like the Copper Age stuff, here's a French outfit called Stone Rebel.  I also suspect this is a single musician with a serious home setup, but details are scarce:

There is a Part I of this album, but it seems to have dropped of YouTube at the moment:

Whoever this is, they put out a lot of quality work in this genre.

Another couple artists in the same genre:

Föllakzoid – very long noodly guitar-based space rock from Chile
Space Fox – same from Portugal

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/14/20 10:22 a.m.

Some random artists I listen to that generate some of my playlists. Most of this is instrumental, or nearly so, maybe with just sampled dialog.

For funky, sample-rich upbeat hiphop stuff:

Gramatik
RJD2
Ursula 1000 – this guy is hilarious and upbeat, not relaxing but fun
Nightmares On Wax
The Heavy (these have actual lyrics)
New Mastersounds
Quantic Soul Orchestra
The Visioneers
Stereo MCs - the later stuff, not their mid-90s singles (which were fine, but a different style)
Kero One
Parov Stelar - electro swing
Beats Antique
GRiZ
Pretty Lights
The Floozies

More downtempo triphop stuff:

The Orb and Aphex Twin basically invented this stuff back in the early ‘90s
Thievery Corporation
The Dining Rooms - Italian duo making a living sounding like Thievery Corporation
Bonobo
Hexstatic
Lushlife Project
Kinobe
Zero 7
Groove Armada
FC Kahuna
Air
Trentmoller
Tycho
Glass Animals
Emancipator
Lovage - the album is called Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By, seriously, how could it be bad
Sounds From The Ground

Neo R&B / Soul:

Cooking On Three Burners
The Haggis Horns
Mighty Imperials - seriously, these guys were all like 18 when they were a band

The above bands are all channeling Booker T and the MGs, but well enough to get away with it.

Some funky jam band stuff (not jam band as in Dead / Phish / moe.):

Ozric Tentacles – Funky British psychedelic jam / prog band
Electric Octopus – another British jam band, not as good as OT above
Particle – Funky LA-based psychedelic / prog / almost dance band
Liquid Tension Experiment - neo prog / metal supergroup

Links to a couple of my Pandora stations:

https://www.pandora.com/station/play/2843193520068144934 - built around a French / Swiss composer named Chris Joss and some funk

https://www.pandora.com/station/play/3632295947122945830 - similar to above, with a bit more hiphop influence – there is a lot of overlap between these stations

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/14/20 12:12 p.m.

Particle - Kneeknocker:

Particle - Launch Pad:

Particle - Road's A Breeze @ 3 AM:

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/16/20 8:18 a.m.
chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/16/20 10:12 a.m.

New one for me, metal swing?

Diablo Swing Orchestra - A Tap Dancers Dilemna

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/16/20 10:46 a.m.

I got two pages into this before I realized I wasn’t in the “can we please stop hotlinking pics” thread

as long as I’m here, this has been my favorite cruising song for a couple years running now

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3vvt6Yl5rPU

Gareth Emery - Sansa

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/20 10:51 a.m.

currently starting hour 3 of listening to my neighbor's dog bark. 

1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 ... 237

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cy5tI8dGuCZVTDg3xTGS0ZP516NHEMrDsiNFmNt6mPEz9qDv2aFVY5WRz87pAD8J