1 2 3 ... 59
Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/18/14 9:44 a.m.

Sort of a companion to the "listening to right now" thread, but without the "right" because, duh, obviously right now you're reading the forum.

I'm reading Steve Ulfelder's “Wolverine Bros. Freight & Storage” which is a classically noir-ish detective novel. I'm pretty much a literary omnivore, so when this came to the office I was more than happy to start chomping on it. I'm glad I did: it's good, by-the-numbers, hardboiled crime fiction, and this author is obviously one of us--as a regular SCCA competitor (with a race shop named Flatout Motorsports) his car chase descriptions are excellent, and he also does some good stuff with his settings, like a machine shop full of lovely WWII-era shipbuilding equipment. Thumbs up.

Margie

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/18/14 9:44 a.m.

nothing. Too busy shipping books.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
12/18/14 9:55 a.m.

I've been kind of getting into pulp crime stories from the 1950s - the ones with hard boiled detectives (or criminals) who live in fancy New York apartments, drink plenty of Scotch, smoke cigarettes like madmen, and always have a couple beautiful blondes hanging around. They're pretty formulaic but they're fun anyway. My brother just gave me a pile of books by Donald Westlake, he wrote about a hundred of the things.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/14 10:02 a.m.

I just picked up Measure of a Man by Martin Greenfield. It looks to be an interesting story. He learned to sew in a concentration camp then came to the US and became the tailor to the Presidents.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
12/18/14 10:16 a.m.

rereading a James Lee Burke Dave Robicheaux novel. Forgeet the title but they're all pretty similar. I like the atmosphere and the way he writes about the south. Sort of southern noir.

Next on the list is probably a sci-fi translation called The Three Body Problem. Forget the author's name. Has to deal with the idea of species competing for colonization in space. Translated from a very popular Chinese novel.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
12/18/14 10:21 a.m.

In between books at the moment. I seem to only read while traveling. Finished my last book exactly at touch down of my last trip.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork

There was a discussion here recently about a book named "The Martian" by Andy Weir. My brother got it for Christmas and I read the first 30 or 40 pages of it the other day at his house - it looks pretty good.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork

The Age of Atheists by Peter Watson. It's been a tough slog, the only thing that keeps me interested enough to finish it is the famous people who were/are atheists and getting their point of view. Watson seems to be enamored of poetry combined with non theism, he keeps drifting off to that tangent.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/14 10:33 a.m.

I am reading bits and pieces of magazines and Herb Adams' book.

I need something new. I mixed it up a lot this year and never found anything that was entertaining AND had some new knowledge in it.

It seems everything I find is straight entertainment or straight knowledge enhancement type reads.

The only thing I read that was a mixture was the What if? (written by xkcd guy)

etifosi
etifosi Reader
12/18/14 10:37 a.m.

Old issues of Automobile Quarterly.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
12/18/14 10:43 a.m.

Just finished Shadow of Freedom by David Weber and my pre-order of The Fall by Jay Allan is available today for download.

Bumboclaat
Bumboclaat HalfDork
12/18/14 10:47 a.m.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
12/18/14 10:54 a.m.

Failure is Not an Option by Gene Kranz. It's his account of the early days in mission control.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
12/18/14 11:03 a.m.

Scratch 2.0 (Simple computer programming language) for Teens. My kids are starting to take an interest in such things, and I don't want to get left behind.

I lent my dad my hardcover copy of Laura Hillenbrand's "Unbroken", which regardless of the quality of the movie is an incredible story. I literally could not put the book down.

wae
wae HalfDork
12/18/14 11:11 a.m.

My downstairs book is We Meant Well by Peter Van Buren. It's a humorous non-fiction account of the reconstruction efforts in post-invasion Iraq. I'm sure there's some embellishment for the sake of a good story, but even if only a quarter of it is true, it kind of makes you laugh for a bit and then shake your head at the insanity of it all.

My upstairs book is The Secret Plot to Save the Tsar by Shay McNeal. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I'm halfway through the book and yet I feel like we're wandering through WWI with nothing but promises that it will all make sense if we just read to the end of the book. In theory, it's a non-fiction account of how the allies secretly got the Tsar and his family out of Russia and away from the Bolsheviks and that their famed execution Never. Actually. Happened.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
12/18/14 11:16 a.m.

I'm actually re-reading Game Of Thrones as the first step in reading the entire series sequentially, without breaks. I read the first one years ago, but never any of the others.

Before that I read The Tale Of The Dueling Neurosurgeons by Sam Kean (which was excellent, witty, and informative) and The Psychopath Whisperer by Kent Kiehl (which wasn't).

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/14 11:18 a.m.

I've been in the mood for simple/light reading lately. Just finished "The Eyes of the Dragon" by Stephen King (great book), and started "The Hunger Games" (so far not so bad)

Next in the pile is "Competition Car Suspension". Good times

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/18/14 11:19 a.m.

Grassroots Motorsports Forum, obviously.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
12/18/14 11:21 a.m.

I knew someone would have to.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
12/18/14 11:23 a.m.

Picked up "The Martian" based on reviews here and really liked it. Haven't found anything new as of late, so I'm re-reading King's 11/22/63, but the enhanced edition which seems to have some extra detail.

I've ready "Ready Player One" multiple times now.

Need to find something new.....

-Rob

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/18/14 11:23 a.m.

Seriously, I wait till a forum goes a few threads then read the whole thing.

It's like a short story, but with bad grammar, poor punctuation and the attention span of an ADHD monkey on crack

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/18/14 11:32 a.m.

Goodbye, Darkness A Memoir of the Pacific War. Written by William Manchester, published 1979.

Manchester was a USMC sergeant that fought on Okinawa. In 1978 he took a trip to all of the major battlefields of the pacific to come to terms with inner demons.

It is very well written.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/14 11:33 a.m.

I’m reading Steven Hawking’s A Brief History of Time.

Regrettably, I’m not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. It’s the fancy hard bound, image enhanced version and it tends to deep dive on the basic stuff and then just gloss over the profound implications that result.

Brian Greene does a much better job of pointing out the bizarre realities of the universe’s inner workings.

Oh well, I got a smoking deal on it…floor display, perfect condition, $15.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/18/14 11:34 a.m.

I heard good thinks about "Ready Player One". I've been kind of back and forth on whether or not to buy it...

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/18/14 11:36 a.m.

Paddle Your Own Canoe, by Nick Offerman. Pretty interesting read.
The Everlasting Stream, by Walt Harrington. Highly recommend for any fathers or sons who love their fathers/sons.
Dude! You're getting married! by someone. Not very well written. Meh.

I guess I'm also reading The Two Towers, but I've been off and on on tht one for a year.

1 2 3 ... 59

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
msqY90NgcWQkjoCHx7FnELI7823prMq8AEFYS97SAKfPrKpMmvSybFk49L8AshnY