Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
1/17/15 7:24 a.m.

Almost finished with this one:

Then its onto this. I found a hardcover as a Christmas gift to myself:

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
1/17/15 9:28 a.m.

The only authors I really read a lot are stephen king, Chuck palahniuk, and if you like weird and funny I recommend Christopher moore

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
1/17/15 9:34 a.m.

Scientific Design of Exhaust & Intake Systems, Third Edition (1971) by Philip H. Smith and John C. Morrison.

And Montezuma's Ferrari by B.S. Levy, when I feel like something a little lighter.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/17/15 9:37 a.m.

I read "The Martian" after hearing about it on the GRM podcast and reading about it in this forum. Read the whole book on New Year's Eve as I traveled from NC to MN and back to NC.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
1/17/15 10:04 a.m.

old jaguar journal magazines bought a stack from yard sale

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/17/15 10:23 a.m.

Just started

link

keethrax
keethrax HalfDork
1/17/15 11:42 a.m.

This:

and this:

and so far struggling to get into this which was recommended to me, might bail out soon:

ncjay
ncjay Dork
1/17/15 1:36 p.m.

This book has probably helped me more than every other book combined.

mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
1/17/15 3:02 p.m.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
1/17/15 3:32 p.m.

For no particular reason at all, I picked this up a over Christmas. Translated from Swedish, I really enjoyed it. Kind of a Forrest Gump tale.

http://www.amazon.ca/The-100-Year-Old-Climbed-Window-Disappeared/dp/1443419109

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
1/17/15 4:05 p.m.

In reply to keethrax:

Larry Correia also wrote the Monster Hunter International series. They're a much more entertaining read if you like guns, monsters, and shooting things in the face.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
1/17/15 4:35 p.m.

Anthony Bourdaine The Nast Bits. As a food whore and a bit of a world traveler i always like his view of cultures from the seedier food and bar scene...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/15 5:57 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I'm on a Hemingway kick lately... just started re-reading The Sun Also Rises.
Oh man. I read "The Old Man and The Sea" after my wife complained endlessly about having to read it in highschool and I was hooked. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" was absolutely epic. Had I not got distracted by a collection of Isaac Asimov's short stories I'd be well in to "A Farewell to Arms" by now.

I enjoyed both.. and now that I know my Great Grandparents actually lived "the grapes of wrath" I probably would have enjoyed that more

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/17/15 6:50 p.m.
eastpark wrote: In reply to BlueInGreen44: If you liked that you should read Red Storm Rising, one of my favourite Clancy novels. I just finished the John Cleese autobiography "So Anyway". I thought it was very good.

everyone (that likes Clancy) has their favorites … mine would be (in no particular order) Patriot Games, Without Remorse, Clear and Present Danger, and Rainbow Six … which doesn't in any way mean that I dislike the others … just these are my favorites

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
1/17/15 7:13 p.m.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
1/17/15 7:46 p.m.

just finished it, couldnt put it down. also just read Steven King's first dark tower book, the Gunslinger.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/17/15 8:00 p.m.

Just finished:

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
1/17/15 9:35 p.m.

Read The Martian over New Years and really enjoyed it. Now I might have to re-read all my old Clancy books after reading this thread. I might also need to pick up a copy of American Sniper after seeing the movie.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/15 9:07 a.m.

Just finished "Ready Player One". Great book. Lots of fun. Couldn't put it down.

Tonight I start "The Martian".

(Then maybe "Competition Car Suspension")

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/19/15 9:15 a.m.
LopRacer wrote: Now I might have to re-read all my old Clancy books after reading this thread.

I like the original Clancy books, but I was in the library yesterday and saw a new book that said TOM CLANCY across the top half of the cover, then some forgettable title, then by whoever at the bottom. Not even a pretense of "Tom Clancy's... with..." or anything like that. Just a blatant and vulgar name drop for something completely unrelated. I mean cheez, the man's been dead for a year and a half.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
1/19/15 9:07 p.m.

Yeah I don't plan on getting any of the new "Tom Clancy" stuff written by yadda yadda. The last time I read one like that is was his old Op Center books he co-wrote. Not the same thing at all.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
1/19/15 9:20 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I'm re-reading Le Carré 'The Spy who came in from the cold'
One of my all-time favorite books, and would be a perfect follow-up once I've finished Mr. Ulfelder's. Margie

Thanks for this- I had never heard of this, but looked it up and picked it up after seeing this post. I really liked it

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
1/19/15 9:23 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: I heard good thinks about "Ready Player One". I've been kind of back and forth on whether or not to buy it...

Just finished a library copy of this. Very entertaining read. If you are a fan of anything 80s Geek culture, it's a must read

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/20/15 7:14 a.m.
Duke wrote:
LopRacer wrote: Now I might have to re-read all my old Clancy books after reading this thread.
I like the original Clancy books, but I was in the library yesterday and saw a new book that said TOM CLANCY across the top half of the cover, then some forgettable title, then by whoever at the bottom. Not even a pretense of "Tom Clancy's... with..." or anything like that. Just a blatant and vulgar name drop for something completely unrelated. I mean cheez, the man's been *dead* for a year and a half.

actually the ghost writer under Tom Clancy is doing a pretty good job … he's not Clancy, but his books continue the story lines, and are pretty good reading

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 59

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m56BQhuJUgeGiuZjD2Fo6bpaUlCFxNuJNb7nSVVn2hnpMZHDHQhW2vh3wrKyJked