1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/4/14 12:45 p.m.

Some of our staff members are looking to stretch their food dollar to the nth degree, and we're trying to find some alternatives to Taco Bell.

Any help?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/4/14 1:02 p.m.

Food trucks!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/14 1:04 p.m.

Convenience store corn dogs...it's what's for lunch!

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/4/14 1:13 p.m.

Wait. People actually eat Taco Bell?

Can't go wrong with homemade PB&J's for cheap eats.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/4/14 1:18 p.m.

Lettuce, spinach leaves, raw broccoli and cauliflower, some shredded cheese, a handful of peanuts, raisins, chicken, ham... mushrooms, burnt toast... whatever you want. Throw in bowl. Pour on some dressing. Hork.

I think lunch salad ingredients cost me about $50 for 10-14 days worth. That is pretty berkeleying cheap.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/4/14 1:19 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Lettuce, spinach leaves, raw broccoli and cauliflower, some shredded cheese, a handful of peanuts, raisins, chicken, ham... mushrooms, burnt toast... whatever you want. Throw in bowl. Pour on some dressing. Hork. I think lunch salad ingredients cost me about $50 for 10-14 days worth. That is pretty berkeleying cheap.

Yeah, but then you have to tell your buddies you ate a salad.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/14 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

I really need to do this. Sounds much healthier than convenience store corn dogs.

6/4/14 1:20 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Lettuce, spinach leaves, raw broccoli and cauliflower, some shredded cheese, a handful of peanuts, raisins, chicken, ham... mushrooms, burnt toast... whatever you want. Throw in bowl. Pour on some dressing. Hork. I think lunch salad ingredients cost me about $50 for 10-14 days worth. That is pretty berkeleying cheap.
Yeah, but then you have to tell your buddies you ate a salad.

Make it in a dirty bowl.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/4/14 1:20 p.m.

Buy two pounds of thick cut mesquite smoked turkey . Buy one pound of sharp cheddar cheese block. Buy two boxes of the small packs of Ritz wheat crackers.

Use the top off of something that is about the same size as the crackers to make little turkey circles. Slice the cheese with a cheese slicer then cut each slice into six squares.

Stack the turkey and cheese in ten even stacks. Throw a stack of each and a pack of crackers in a zip lock bag.

Makes ten filling lunches for around $2.80 each.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/4/14 1:24 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Convenience store corn dogs...it's what's for lunch!

7/11 hotdogs

6/4/14 1:26 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Use the top off of something that is about the same size as the crackers to make little turkey circles.

This bit of details made me laugh. I used to get my youngest to eat things like sandwiches he didn't like by mashing them into a big flat pile and then using dinosaur cookie cutters and a meat hammer to pound out exciting shapes.

trucke
trucke Reader
6/4/14 1:31 p.m.

We get free organic produce from the company farm as part of the employee wellness program. Had a great salad today. Before you go off and dis me about that, I am autocrossing tonight!!

Many towns have a small Thai Restaurant that's cheap. Maybe it in a gas station or a walk-up place. My coworkers and I have a local favorite.

skierd
skierd Dork
6/4/14 1:34 p.m.

Grocery store rotisserie chickens are cheap for the amount of meat you get. Usually cheaper than a 2pack of boneless skinless breasts, and already cooked ftw. Add a bag of steamer veggies and that's a good dinner for 2.

Fresh salsa is pretty cheap to make. Grab a big can of diced tomatoes, 2-3 jalopenos, a small yellow onion, couple pieces of garlic, and cilantro. Throw the full veggies and cilantro (to taste, I like to use a lot but you wont use the whole bunch) in a vitamix to chop them up, then add the diced tomatoes, blend it down to small chunks, salt to taste.

Slow cooker anything FTW. Add seasoning and meat, wait 8 hours on low (in other words throw it in before you go to work), and nom nom nom when you get home.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
6/4/14 1:34 p.m.

Chicken of the Sea makes little kits with a can of tuna salad or buffalo chicken salad with a pack of crackers. I've taken those for lunch and they are pretty tasty. They are about $1.19 each at the store. Hard to beat Taco Bell for cheap eats imho.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/4/14 1:36 p.m.

Harris Teeter right near me on fridays has $5 8 piece buckets of fried chicken

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/4/14 1:38 p.m.

Four fried chickens and some dry white toast.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
6/4/14 1:39 p.m.
skierd wrote: Grocery store rotisserie chickens are cheap for the amount of meat you get. Usually cheaper than a 2pack of boneless skinless breasts, and already cooked ftw. Add a bag of steamer veggies and that's a good dinner for 2.

We get one of these every once in a while, pull the meat off the bone, and make enchiladas with it. For around $20 with the rest of the ingredients (shredded cheese, tortillas, sour cream, salsa, and black beans in sauce), you can make enough enchiladas for a few days of good eatin'.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/4/14 1:40 p.m.

Can of Chunky soup and a tube of crackers, Peanut butter with the crackers if I am feeling wealthy.

etifosi
etifosi New Reader
6/4/14 1:41 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: Four fried chickens and some dry white toast.

"And a coke."

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/4/14 1:41 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: Four fried chickens and some dry white toast.

And a Coke.

Yeah, let's stay ahead of 7/11. Wawa would be cool, though. I hear that we're getting one.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/14 1:42 p.m.

The hot dogs at my local Home Depot must have crack in them or something. They are amazing.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/4/14 1:45 p.m.

Costco dogs

KatieSuddard
KatieSuddard DaughterDork
6/4/14 1:46 p.m.

Make your own mac&cheese! A half pint of cream, a bag of shredded sharp cheddar, a squirt of mustard mixed in a saucepan over low heat with salt and pepper to taste. Cook some elbow noodles (79cents for a small box) and butter them. Mix the noodles with the cheese sauce in a dish, bake at 350 degrees F until the top browns. Overall cost: about $6 and it makes enough for two or three people.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork

I like to make good sandwiches: salami, turkey, onions, tomatoes, cheese, good bread, mayo, and mustard. Should cost about $15-$20 for a weeks worth of lunches.

As much as it pains me to recommend it, WalMart is actually a lot cheaper than the regular grocery store. $3 for a pack of 1/2 pound of meat versus $4-$5 for the same brand at Giant Eagle. But then you have to admit you shop at WalMart.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork

I do the same thing.

Buy a big box of triple washed 50/50 spinach/mixed greens
Go to the salad bar and get some carrots/radishes/etc
Peppered feta
sliced almonds or sunflower seeds
Cook a big bunch of chicken

Then on Sunday, make a bunch of salads, throw them in Tupperware. Lunch for the week.

Just take your dressing with you to work and your good to go.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9PNYVvKOOYELNzuQ398jdeZR75WVW71lOXqUMI2W4JuY2LDYTGYCXfrQrIlPiRnC