1 2 3 4
z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
6/4/14 1:47 p.m.
dculberson wrote: I like to make good sandwiches: salami, turkey, onions, tomatoes, cheese, good bread, mayo, and mustard. Should cost about $15-$20 for a weeks worth of lunches. As much as it pains me to recommend it, WalMart is actually a lot cheaper than the regular grocery store. $3 for a pack of 1/2 pound of meat versus $4-$5 for the same brand at Giant Eagle. But then you have to admit you shop at WalMart.

lulz at not buying deli meat

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
6/4/14 1:50 p.m.

A cup or two of dried pinto beans, a pound of ground beef, a can of tomatoes, an onion, and the right spices (I use a couple raw peppers, cumin, and oregano) will make a pot of chili big enough to last a week.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
6/4/14 1:59 p.m.

The local pizza shop right down the street has a Tuesday night special where you get three footlong hoagies or parm sandwiches, frieds, onion rings and a two liter of soda for $20. Mrs. DX and I got it last night and there were enough leftovers where both of us will get lunch and dinner for a couple days afterwards.

There is already one Wawa near Clearwater, FL. Supposedly more are being built. I think it has something to do with the Phillies having spring training in Clearwater.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/4/14 1:59 p.m.

I spent my last dollar just to buy a Sabrett.

KatieSuddard
KatieSuddard DaughterDork
6/4/14 2:00 p.m.

Also, ramen noodles are an amazing thing. Cook them as normal but throw out the seasoning package. Drain the water. Cook some frozen shrimp in sriracha, honey, and soy sauce. Pour the shrimp and the sauce on your ramen noodles and enjoy

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/4/14 2:01 p.m.
KatieSuddard wrote: Also, ramen noodles are an amazing thing. Cook them as normal but throw out the seasoning package. Drain the water. Cook some frozen shrimp in sriracha, honey, and soy sauce. Pour the shrimp and the sauce on your ramen noodles and enjoy

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and guess you might be in or recently graduated from a college experience?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
6/4/14 2:03 p.m.

Cook Out. You in the Charlotte area know of what I makes the speaks.

At home, I loved a good old home made hamburger or a grilled cheese made with real cheese.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/4/14 2:06 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Lettuce, spinach leaves, raw broccoli and cauliflower, some shredded cheese, a handful of peanuts, raisins, chicken, ham... mushrooms, burnt toast... whatever you want. Throw in bowl. Pour on some dressing. Hork. I think lunch salad ingredients cost me about $50 for 10-14 days worth. That is pretty berkeleying cheap.
I do the same thing. Buy a big box of triple washed 50/50 spinach/mixed greens Go to the salad bar and get some carrots/radishes/etc Peppered feta sliced almonds or sunflower seeds Cook a big bunch of chicken Then on Sunday, make a bunch of salads, throw them in Tupperware. Lunch for the week. Just take your dressing with you to work and your good to go.

My problem is that i can and will quite literally eat the big box of 50/50 spring mix in one sitting. If i'm going to eat, i need to get full. I can eat probably $10 in lettuce in one sitting, and in a strange twist of fate, good lettuce is probably my favorite part of a salad, so i tend to go easy on the toppings.

Blah. Everything else that fills me up for cheap is usually a retarded amount of carbs.

KatieSuddard
6/4/14 2:07 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Yeah... Still in college. It's actually delicious though. And if you're feeling too ritzy for the ramen, grab some rice noodles and prepare the same way, throw in some thin sliced carrots, broccoli, and a fried egg. Serve it to people as "Thai inspired shrimp stir fry."

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
6/4/14 2:08 p.m.

It's hard to beat a grilled cheese. I lived on those things when I was single and car poor. I also made a lot of really good, and cheap, cornbread.

The extent of my cookware was seriously a pan for grilled cheeses and an old cast iron skillet for cornbread.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
6/4/14 2:09 p.m.

What no mention of the bottomless purse and the local buffet?

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
6/4/14 2:11 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: The hot dogs at my local Home Depot must have crack in them or something. They are amazing.

hot dog at Home Depot ????????? I usually get a cup of "free" coffee there … but I've never seen any hot dogs

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
6/4/14 2:11 p.m.

Eggs, lots of eggs, I eat 2 dozen a week.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/4/14 2:15 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: What no mention of the bottomless purse and the local buffet?

Oh yeah, Ed has met our local Chinese buffet. Call him a fan.

KatieSuddard
6/4/14 2:16 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Eggs, lots of eggs.

Oh! Yeah! And potatoes. You can never go wrong with potatoes.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
6/4/14 2:17 p.m.

Someone told me once that Ramen noodles and taco bell mild or hot sauce tasted like poverty, so i tried it and poverty tastes pretty damn good

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/4/14 2:17 p.m.
KatieSuddard wrote:

Except that potatoes suck.

6/4/14 2:19 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: My problem is that i can and will quite literally eat the big box of 50/50 spring mix in one sitting. If i'm going to eat, i need to get full. I can eat probably $10 in lettuce in one sitting, and in a strange twist of fate, good lettuce is probably my favorite part of a salad, so i tend to go easy on the toppings. Blah. Everything else that fills me up for cheap is usually a retarded amount of carbs.

If you like the leaves... buy a bunch of cheap local grown whole head lettuce and quarter it. Add bacon bits, shredded hard boilded egg, blue cheese and/or and ranch dressing.

Wedge salads for FTW!

6/4/14 2:21 p.m.
ryanty22 wrote: Someone told me once that Ramen noodles and taco bell mild or hot sauce tasted like poverty, so i tried it and poverty tastes pretty damn good

hahaha

KatieSuddard
6/4/14 2:23 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
KatieSuddard wrote:

Psh! Potatoes are amazing. Bake them, fry them, mash them, slice them and cook them in bacon fat, twice bake them with lots of cheese and bacon bits, scalloped potatoes, boiled potatoes, potatoes au gratin, sauté them with sausage and onions and peppers..... All so good

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/4/14 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One: Your reality is invalid, Potatoes are the fondation on which the universe was built.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/4/14 2:27 p.m.
KatieSuddard wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
KatieSuddard wrote:
Psh! Potatoes are amazing. Bake them, fry them, mash them, slice them and cook them in bacon fat, twice bake them with lots of cheese and bacon bits, scalloped potatoes, boiled potatoes, potatoes au gratin, sauté them with sausage and onions and peppers..... All so good

Leftovers? Pull out the spud gun and drop a Bison for the larder

KatieSuddard
6/4/14 2:30 p.m.

In reply to TRoglodyte: And then once you have a Bison, you can make Bison burgers, Bison steaks, Bison tacos, Bison jerky.... You'd be set!

6/4/14 2:35 p.m.

The potato is an "ok" food if you need some sort of milquetoast starch substance in your dinner. OTOH, the onion is a weed of almost pure evil. Avoid at all cost.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
6/4/14 2:36 p.m.

Salad and Chinese. I love chinese street food. Unfortunatley its expensive over here, but I try to recreate it as much as possible.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PcbDQ93xkcKTGYYlhGrpxDaVR8cqLSDu0a4tDypfZ6NVGSS9NXsnOtBqm65Laivx