1 2 3 4
ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/4/14 2:44 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: The hot dogs at my local Home Depot must have crack in them or something. They are amazing.
hot dog at Home Depot ????????? I usually get a cup of "free" coffee there … but I've never seen any hot dogs

They used to have hot dog vendors at my local home depot but I havent seen them up there in probably 10 yrs

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
6/4/14 2:54 p.m.

Whatever I had for dinner last night in a resealable container. a piece of fruit. A serving of dried fruit. A loaf of pita bread.

Note: Two of Florida's largest grocery chains (not counting Wal-Mart) often have Toufayan pita bread bogo or for $1/pack. It is delivered to the store frozen. When it is on sale, ask the person working in the bakery to get them from the freezer. I normally buy about 6 bags at a time.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
6/4/14 2:55 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: The potato is an "ok" food if you need some sort of milquetoast starch substance in your dinner. OTOH, the onion is a weed of almost pure evil. Avoid at all cost.

I eat sweet onions like apples, sue me.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/14 2:58 p.m.
ryanty22 wrote:
wbjones wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: The hot dogs at my local Home Depot must have crack in them or something. They are amazing.
hot dog at Home Depot ????????? I usually get a cup of "free" coffee there … but I've never seen any hot dogs
They used to have hot dog vendors at my local home depot but I havent seen them up there in probably 10 yrs

Right in the exit area in the front of the store. Pretty much all the HDs around here have them.

Also, $5 Hot-n-Ready from Little Cesears. It's not a great pizza, but it's acceptable, cheap, and you don't have to pre-order it. Plus, Mike Illitch needs the money, have you seen Miguel Cabrera's contract?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/4/14 3:00 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: My problem is that i can and will quite literally eat the big box of 50/50 spring mix in one sitting. If i'm going to eat, i need to get full. I can eat probably $10 in lettuce in one sitting, and in a strange twist of fate, good lettuce is probably my favorite part of a salad, so i tend to go easy on the toppings. Blah. Everything else that fills me up for cheap is usually a retarded amount of carbs.
If you like the leaves... buy a bunch of cheap local grown whole head lettuce and quarter it. Add bacon bits, shredded hard boilded egg, blue cheese and/or and ranch dressing. Wedge salads for FTW!

Any lettuce that comes in a head you can cut into slices or wedges isn't worth eating.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/4/14 3:02 p.m.
KatieSuddard wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
KatieSuddard wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Eggs, lots of eggs.
Oh! Yeah! And potatoes. You can never go wrong with potatoes.
Except that potatoes suck.
Psh! Potatoes are amazing. Bake them, fry them, mash them, slice them and cook them in bacon fat, twice bake them with lots of cheese and bacon bits, scalloped potatoes, boiled potatoes, potatoes au gratin, sauté them with sausage and onions and peppers..... All so good

Potatoes are only good because of the things you put in them. I'd rather just have a serving of the things that go in/on them instead of serving the delicious stuff up with a vehicle of disgusting and useless starch.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
6/4/14 3:04 p.m.

Oh, and if you enjoy cooking, start cooking Indian food. Once you update your ingredients on hand, it is amazingly delicious and really affordable to make. Just go to the Indian grocery store to buy spices and rice. They are both much cheaper and much higher quality than typical western grocery store fare.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/4/14 3:08 p.m.
Mitchell wrote: Oh, and if you enjoy cooking, start cooking Indian food. Once you update your ingredients on hand, it is amazingly delicious and really affordable to make. Just go to the Indian grocery store to buy spices and rice. They are both much cheaper and much higher quality than typical western grocery store fare.

I enjoy cooking, I just dont enjoy the feeling an hour or two later after eating indian food honestly

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/14 3:13 p.m.

Whole chickens. Learn how to cut the suckers up yourself and you have a great protein source that is cheap per pound. For the lazy or knife adverse, Costco Roasted chickens are sold at a profit margin that ruffles the shareholder's feathers. (pun intended)

If we are talking "run out to lunch" food, again, Costco has a snack bar where you can get pizza by the slice, hot dogs, and other items for a pittance. Lost of grocery stores have a hot foods counter that is also cheap, as well as pre-made deli sandwiches that are WAY cheaper than anything from Subway or Jersey Mikes.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
6/4/14 3:16 p.m.

Right now I've been making chicken salad from Sam's Club canned chicken and eating it with a bag of $1 corn chips from Kroger. One can makes two lunches. Chicken is $2 per can, and I get three lunches per bag of chips. I'm guessing I use $0.12 worth of mayo and diced candied jalapenos my wife put up last year (free!). So I'm at $1.45 for lunch. I could probably cut that cost down if I switched to egg salad, but my coworkers would have to wear gas masks.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/4/14 3:34 p.m.

I told them that Mitchell would be a source of a good info. Thanks, Mitchell.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
6/4/14 3:51 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Potatoes are only good because of the things you put in them. I'd rather just have a serving of the things that go in/on them instead of serving the delicious stuff up with a vehicle of disgusting and useless starch.

No, that's just not true at all. I would rather not eat a cup of butter and cream and cheese, but put those in a few pounds of potatoes and it's awesome. Just like I would rather not eat a quart of tomato sauce but mix it with pasta and some veggies and it's great.

What you're describing, mixing ingredients, is called "cooking." And it often tastes better than the sum of its parts.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/4/14 4:00 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: Potatoes are only good because of the things you put in them. I'd rather just have a serving of the things that go in/on them instead of serving the delicious stuff up with a vehicle of disgusting and useless starch.
No, that's just not true at all. I would rather not eat a cup of butter and cream and cheese, but put those in a few pounds of potatoes and it's awesome. Just like I would rather not eat a quart of tomato sauce but mix it with pasta and some veggies and it's great. What you're describing, mixing ingredients, is called "cooking." And it often tastes better than the sum of its parts.

Butter, cream, and cheese in this situation are considered "condiments," not "food." It's not cooking, it's putting enough of something else on something to make it edible.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
6/4/14 4:40 p.m.
KatieSuddard wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
KatieSuddard wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Eggs, lots of eggs.
Oh! Yeah! And potatoes. You can never go wrong with potatoes.
Except that potatoes suck.
Psh! Potatoes are amazing. Bake them, fry them, mash them, slice them and cook them in bacon fat, twice bake them with lots of cheese and bacon bits, scalloped potatoes, boiled potatoes, potatoes au gratin, sauté them with sausage and onions and peppers..... All so good

Truth. One of my favorite breakfasts right now consists of dicing some potato, onion, and green pepper, add salt and cayenne pepper, fry in olive oil, throw in some eggs and cheddar, and scramble the crap out of it. It's awesome.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
6/4/14 4:42 p.m.

Take a fajita wrapper and warm it up. Fill it with couscous, salad fixings, feta, and greek dressing.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/4/14 4:42 p.m.

Potatoes sliced thin and fried in some olive oil maybe just a little salt and pepper. how that for your "vehicle of disgusting and useless starch."

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
6/4/14 4:47 p.m.

And as far as cheap and awesome meals go, chop a green pepper and half an onion and saute in a tbsp of olive oil. When the onions are starting to get translucent put in a clove or two of chopped garlic and cook for another minute or two, then throw in a cup of cooked rice, can of rinsed black beans, tbsp of chili powder, tsp of cumin, tsp of crushed red pepper, and 1/2 tsp of salt.

Put that E36 M3 in a tortilla with what ever burrito style toppings you like and enjoy. I'll make a batch of that and eat awesome burritos for days.

1kris06
1kris06 New Reader
6/4/14 4:49 p.m.

Everything in taco shells, seriously.

Work is either PB&J or sandwiches w/meat, cheese, mayo, mustard, (sometimes lettuce, onion and tomato). Otherwise they have frozen hamburgers/chicken burgers that work out to ~$1.15.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/14 5:17 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: Truth. One of my favorite breakfasts right now consists of dicing some potato, onion, and green pepper, add salt and cayenne pepper, fry in olive oil, throw in some eggs and cheddar, and scramble the crap out of it. It's awesome.

Holy crap that sounds amazing!

This is not a good thread to read before dinner.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/4/14 5:37 p.m.

Sometimes I think this is really a food forum, where we also occasionally talk about cars. Not that there's anything wrong with that. You guys make me so hungry sometimes.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/4/14 5:48 p.m.

I used to enjoy working at Nuclear plants especially unsupervised if you had down time they had really awesome cafeterias and some were open 24 hours with free wifi

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/4/14 5:51 p.m.

Up in central Va at North Anna nuclear power station I used to go in there and get a BLT wrap that was loaded until it was about 3 inches diameter for about $3.50. Hell it was reasonably enough priced that while up there during outages Id go into the plant for breakfast, lunch or dinner on my day off

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/4/14 5:57 p.m.

I like my potatoes like I like my almonds, raw and unsalted.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
6/4/14 6:13 p.m.

I Love Lucy. Vending machine area.

Hot water, ketchup, pepper, crackers = Tomato soup. Free.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/4/14 6:16 p.m.

I get whatever BOGO meat the grocery store has on sale that week. Usually oven roast or chicken breast. One pack gets cooked for dinner/lunch and the other goes in the freezer for later.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iogbiiGgWGjdMjR3LNWzBSuWZibXcRUcBQKhiuDBLwmJwmB1XVyLFlylqf28nti7