1 2 3
Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/12/08 12:11 p.m.

People like to talk about how cars are sometimes chick magnets, or chuck magnets. So, of cars you've had experience with, what kind of attention do you get from what sort of people because of your car? Who compliments your car.

For me:

'79 Fiat X1/9 (only 40k on clock) - Only car I've had a girl shout me her number at a stop light, and without prompting her.

'99 BMW M Coupe' - Lots of looks and questions. But, I seem to get the most compliments and longing looks at the car from overweight guys riding in the passenger seat of the minivan their wife is driving.

'94 Miata (lowered, with rollbar) - For some reason it attracts compliments from rednecks in their late 20's driving with their buddy in compact pickup trucks.

Edit: I'm not counting attention I get from other obvious enthusiasts. I'd be surprised if the guy in the lowered, primer-green, miata with a rollbar didn't wave.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/12/08 12:14 p.m.
Salanis wrote: '94 Miata (lowered, with rollbar) - For some reason it attracts compliments from rednecks in their late 20's driving with their buddy in compact pickup trucks.

They think you're gay, so they're joking at you

Samurai - gets attention from every 4x4 driver out there, truck drivers and a good chunk of other people. Tint to the rescue!

AE92 - Only gets attention from cops and a few motorsport enthusiasts. Repels women.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Reader
6/12/08 12:17 p.m.

My old TR3 used to get a lot of attention for ypung chicks. My Spitfire usually gets more responses from women, many of whom know its a Triumph. The men usually say "one of my friends used to have an MG like that".

My 86 Nissan truck gets little or no attention. I pulled into a Nissan dealer a couple of weeks ago in the truck to buy a wheel cylinder. Two guys came running out, apparently thinking I was stupid and would sell it for a few hundred bucks. When i told them $2700 (because it has a new engine, tires and brakes, driveshaft, etc) they disappeared.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/12/08 12:19 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: They think you're gay, so they're joking at you

I would have thought that... but usually they're very serious in saying how they always liked miatas, and that I should either put a turbo or 302 in it.

On the subject of a gay cars, I asked a gay friend cars that he and his friends would consider gay. His top three were not what I would have suspected: Corvette, Jeep Wrangler, RX8. He stated that no self respecting gay man would be caught dead in a VW Rabbit Cabrio.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
6/12/08 12:19 p.m.

I drove through a parking lot in the spring of 2004 in my dad's fresh Z4. It was warm, so the top was down. A bunch of girls started going crazy and started taking pictures. It was really weird - yet - that was the only Z4 in the town for about 6 months.

Nobody seems to notice the Z3 or my Miata. Seems better that way. One looks like a phallis and the other like a cutsie Japanese Animae character.

The Mustang did bring attention though. Headers, open cats, and hella-loud mufflers along with shiny, dark green paint, the words MUSTANG GT, and a convertible top always brought considerable attention. (Unfortunately, on one occasion, it was the police )

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
6/12/08 12:30 p.m.

Of all the cars I've owned in my life the best chick magnet car is my Classic Mini. Women love it. "It's so cute".

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/12/08 12:50 p.m.

Second the Mini. "It's soooo cute!".

The Martini race Miata just gets sideways glances from most people. The 1966 Caddy always gets someone up and talking to you, and they always recognize the car - but NOBODY can get the year right. It's non-threatening though, so people like it. The Locost just gets a lot of attention, period. It's not a car for shy people. Kids definitely grok it.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
6/12/08 12:51 p.m.

In the 914 I get "That's so cute, love the color", from women. Guys like the way it sounds, most people don't even know what it is.

In the Samurai I get thumbs up and that kinda stuff from other 4X4s.

Everything else I own I'm just a old schlep pushing a gear shift knob around.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar New Reader
6/12/08 1:08 p.m.

My 96 gets a lot of attention from young girls who aren't shallow, rednecks who have no clue what it is, and the driver's of other classic anythings.

The Miata gets a lot of attention from anyone whom I pass, mainly due to the blood that immediately starts spewing from their ears thanks to the new exhaust. It makes me smile.

The 900T Cabrio seems to get a lot of looks from everyone when it's clean. From the outside (when you can't see the tattered seats), it looks much more high class than it is. I'm not sure if that's good or not.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
6/12/08 1:08 p.m.

I've joked with my wife that I wanted a piece of young trashy goodness, I'd just keep driving the Neon around.

It shouts "The driver of this car is an attainable goal, Britney" and "This driver is not out of your league."

Seriously, it's about the best 'chick' magnet I've ever driven. The more expensive cars just don't get that slack-jawed, dull-eyed gaze from available women like the Neon. That said, I've only ever been propositioned by Pros while driving a Minivan.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
6/12/08 1:15 p.m.

When I was in high school, both my parents had an extra car that I could drive when my car wasn't running. My Mom's was a '74 VW Beetle, and my Dad's was a '76 Spitfire. The Beetle was a way better chick magnet.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
6/12/08 1:57 p.m.

Custom air cooled Bugs were always good, in a non-threatening sort of way, about getting attention from girls. I built a number of these:

Sport bikes worked well, as well.

But the number one car for getting attention for me, was in the late '80s I built this car as a advertisement for my custom car bodyshop:

I'd cruise down to Alkai beach in west Seattle and bikini-clad girls would hop in the car unasked. Girls in cars going the other way woudl crane their necks and say things like "I'm going home with him!" which always struck me as amusing as an ex-AV nerd/drama club/band member, considering they'd never say that in any other car I'd drive, or if I was not in a car at all... I had a really nice dinner one night when a girl in a 240Z pulled up next to me on I5 going southbound out of Seattle and said "hey, nice car! Wanna go get some dinner?" I was on my way to a party one time and stopped to pick up a friend's friend, and her MOM hit on me... I'd even have guys and their girlfriends come up to me and ask me carefully, "would you mind? My girlfriend would like a ride in your car..."

Fun times...

PubBurgers
PubBurgers HalfDork
6/12/08 1:58 p.m.

The CRX only attracts attention from ricers and other CRX owners.

The moped turns heads, but i assume it's people thinking "Why is that weedwacker coming up behind me so fast?"

I used to have a 78 Datsun 510 Wagon and i'd get constant offers to buy it and one guy even followed me home because he used to have one.

GregTivo
GregTivo New Reader
6/12/08 2:02 p.m.

the miata only gets much attention around here when its towing my hobiecat. Then people start doing a double take.

*note-I don't often tow the 'cat with the miata very much or very far. It with its trailer weighs 1300lbs and that is not good for the miata, but at5 miles, 35mph back and forth from storage unit to beach, its ok. The Subaru does most of the heavy lifting with the 'cat.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports New Reader
6/12/08 2:04 p.m.

I get more comments about the 94 Civic Hatch than any car I've owned and it's always from ricers.

(The thing to keep in mind here is that it's completely stock down to the 13" steel wheels.)

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
6/12/08 2:24 p.m.

The black celica hatch gets some comments.... Mainly from high school girls:

"I always wanted one of those, they're so CUTE!!"

Gag me.

Until recently, when i got the new tires, stripped it, braced it, slammed it.

Now i get ricers all the time "Looks mean man, wanna race?"

Errrrmmmm.... no.

sachilles
sachilles New Reader
6/12/08 2:25 p.m.

My classic mini does get all sorts of reactions. It almost always gets a wave from young and old, men and women. A few young folks have commented as to where I put the batteries, but most become silent when they heard the engine note. I'm anxious to get it back on the road with the honda power plant....that should generate a little interest, though I will miss the sounds of the 1380 and straight cut gears.

I also had a lifted range rover classic, with very agressive tires. It had many scars from trail rides. Living in rural VT it would usually get a knowing nod from the folks driving pickups.....and it would usually make young ladies look at me like I was compensating for something.

slefain
slefain Dork
6/12/08 2:30 p.m.

My '69 Olds Delta 88 Convertible gets the attention of every drug dealer in a 3 mile radius. Most ask "man, howmuchoowanfodat" to which I used to answer "$10,000 cash" until a guy actually asked when he could bring the money. After that I just said it was sentimental and I couldn't sell it.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
6/12/08 2:41 p.m.

I get a lot of "I looked at those, do you like it?" inquiries about the P5 at gas stations and such. Almost always from dorky mid 20s guys like myself.

The miata got lots of attention. The redneck population around here HATED it. It was funny pulling up to a lifted chevy truck at a light that had a huge sticker in the back window that said "Lowriders are for boys who can't get it up". A really hot chick was driving it. She slid over to the passenger side to look out the window and laugh at me. My miata was pretty slammed and her tires were damn near taller than the windshield.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/12/08 2:58 p.m.

I went to a weekly cruise night last week that is 80% 60's muscle cars mixed in with new supercharged Mustangs.

There was a 19 year old, kind of nerdy kid who showed up with a Smart Cabrio. Every young girl there was talking to him and climbing into his car.

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
6/12/08 2:58 p.m.

My Z31 from a few years ago basically only got interest from the cops.

E30: When I'm actually driving it gets attention from just about everyone. I even pulled into my driveway the other day and this group of young kids (maybe 12?) were like "THAT'S a nice BMW!"

My mom and girlfriend both think its just cute. I'm hoping the new wheels and lowering the coils will give it a meaner stance. lol

mtn
mtn Dork
6/12/08 3:26 p.m.

318 E30, convertible.
Girls think its cute. I had just met this bunch of girls about three days previous, and my friend and I went over to their house to swim in the pool. Only we forgot a change of pants, so we walked home (3 blocks), change, and pick up the car. I went out later that night and come home to find 50 pictures of the girls in my car posted online. Wow.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/12/08 3:29 p.m.

I think those may need to be posted or linked-to in the "Reader Rides".

wetpossum
wetpossum
6/12/08 4:21 p.m.

'74 Land Cruiser Wagon FJ55: Before the lift it was a total babe magnet. After the lift and tires, I can't get a sideways glance. Maybe I should wash it...

'71 Lotus Elan: Idiot magnet. "Hey, man, is that an Alfa? What did it cost?" (like I'm going to talk about that with a perfect stranger)

'66 Jag "E" Type: Close to invisible. Maybe because it's gray instead of resale red or BRG. But people don't even look at me at stoplights.

'78 VW Bus: The ultimate chick magnet. I only drove it for one summer, but I had more propositions, questions, and phone numbers because of that vehicle than anything else I've driven. It wasn't even a nice looking bus, baby E36 M3 brown over dark baby E36 M3 brown.

Dad's 94 Civic Hatchback: Invisible. Invisible to women and police. There's something to be said about that :)

2.0dohc
2.0dohc New Reader
6/12/08 4:28 p.m.

in my 99 miata people would come up and talk to me, parking lots, in gridlock on the interstate.....

but my 88 fiero gt got the most looks of any of my cars, I think the open exhaust helped that, sounded mean for a v6

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oi3ukO1YMkC1z4ypPKy1pJ2G6zwTOHYVutYK4DIYFEjHASXj6wfpbJJ4PZBVATLZ