1 2 3
mtn
mtn Dork
6/12/08 4:28 p.m.
Salanis wrote: I think those may need to be posted or linked-to in the "Reader Rides".

haha, nah, they're legal for me, but not for most of the board

PHeller
PHeller New Reader
6/12/08 4:29 p.m.

1999 Ford ZX2 - Attention: None.

Just the way I like it.

Travis_K
Travis_K New Reader
6/12/08 4:32 p.m.

First car I drove was my moms red 99 pontiac grand prix gtp, and no one really ever complimented me on it, but people would always do rude things driving on the freeway.
NYG Neon, mostly the same thing, although less people seemed to pay attention to it.

85 shelby charger, mostly just ignored, sometimes younger guys would come up to me and ask about it.

Alfa Milano, once in a while girls will say its cute or someone will ask me where i found it or how hard it is to get parts for. When im driving it, if im infront of someone they seem to think im going 10-20 mph sloerer than i really am to they have to immediatly pass me and slow down again. Its mostly invisible to anyone who doesnt pay attention to cars much which is kinda nice. Unless people know what it is they just think its an ugly pos i bought cause i couldnt afford a better car (which is sorta true, but whatever. lol)

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
6/12/08 6:18 p.m.

I never get any attention in the E30. I guess the girls around here don't care about cars unless it's new and expensive.

Lesley
Lesley Dork
6/12/08 7:23 p.m.

My own, or cars I've been driving?

I just got back from driving a Delorean, got several thumbs up.

In the Audi R8, I was followed all over town by a utilities truck guy, til I finally pulled over and he could take a picture. A guy in a lifted pickup shouted "I wanna have your baby!"

Carload of students gave me the finger while I was driving the Hummer.

My own vehicles? Well, let's face it... my 323 is the cloak of invisibility.

Guys look at my truck...but they do it without moving their heads, you know, the sideways eye-slide. Like, any girl that would drive a vehicle with such a spastic, twitchy lope might possibly be dangerous. Car-loving guys will roll down their windows to listen, often saying something like "damn, that sounds good!"

My MX3 is kind of a hot little girly car, and fairly non-threatening, so I get looks from quite a wide range of guys.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/12/08 7:41 p.m.

neither of my running cars gets much of a look. Guess people do not like european hatchbacks. Did get a kid yell that he liked my Bimmer once.

My Fiat, when I was driving it, was a totally different story. Everybody loved it or had a fiat story. If I drove it with the top down in the middle of winter (which I often did) even harley guys would talk to me when sitting at a light

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
6/12/08 8:29 p.m.

Subaru - waves/thumbs up from other subaru owners. Thats it.

Saturn - the "wow, that car must be really broken. Stupid ricer." look (leaky exhaust)

Sportbike - waves from other bikers, occasional looks from the ladies. Also occasional looks of disgust like I am scum of the earth.

mtn
mtn Dork
6/12/08 8:52 p.m.

I forgot, the Crown Vic. Its black. People slow down for us.

Dwight Varnes
Dwight Varnes SuperDork
6/12/08 8:58 p.m.

My Mini is by far the most attention grabbing car I've ever owned. Guys make fun of it, but women adore it. Sadly, I learned this about 16 years too late. Inexplicably, guys with riced out VWs fall all over themselves to wave at me.

My nicely restored, red Fiat 124 convertible was unbelievably invisible to everyone except the few nerds who were convinced they had an MG "just like it".

The BMW race car gets surprisingly few glances when it's on the road. Even with 3 colors and giant numbers on the door.

Everyone, however, loves my 1965 Ford pickup. It's a nice five footer, yet people don't notice it's battle scars. I guess there's nothing more American.

Chicks also really dug my '65 Skylark convertible during it's brief stay. I guess big old American iron is just more approachable for people than old sports cars.

And, for total anonymity, drive a Dodge Stratus fleet vehicle. I could crash it through the front of a police station and nobody would notice.

skierd
skierd Dork
6/12/08 9:19 p.m.

Most of my cars have been fairly anonymous, but a few had reactions.

My first car, a mercury capri, got most of the girls on my track team to ride with me to meets.

My blue 2001 Accent got me to be known as hyundai dave as it was probably the only Hyundai in Flint, MI.

Both miata's got looks from kids, girls, and autocrossers. Especially with the top down in January bundled up like an eskimo.

My '77 Dodge D200 everyone avoided like it would give them tetanus, because it probably would.

No one cares about the Tacoma.

No one see's my bike, almost got hit today. :(

Luke
Luke HalfDork
6/12/08 9:35 p.m.

Certain girls used to like my old Fiat 124 coupe. Most guys didn't give it a second glance, although sometimes at the petrol station they might ask what kind of Datsun it was.

Everybody stares and/or waves at my Fiat 126.

Only Alfa Romeo people understand my Alfetta. Parked outside a club one night, someone yelled from across the street 'Nice Alfa!'. That was cool. Also, at the traffic lights once, two young guys in an X5 shouted/motioned at me to 'get it sideways'. Of course I didn't comply with their request, too dangerous, but I did redline it through the gears for them.

Carson
Carson Reader
6/12/08 9:37 p.m.

A lot of older guys walk up to me when I'm at the gas station in my '62 Chrysler and tell me about how seeing it reminds me of their childhood, riding in the backseat and the smell of their dad's cigar. No one can correctly identify it as a 1962 Chrysler New Yorker though.

On the flip side, I recently sold some Honda stuff on craigslist, the guy who came to get it brought his buddy with a truck to help him haul it off. His buddy was a self-proclaimed "Mopar gear head, you know 318, 360, 440, and HEMI" who doesn't mess around with "import E36 M3." I pointed to the Chrysler and said, "well, you like that then" He didn't know what it was or had ever heard of a 413 wedge.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/12/08 10:16 p.m.

belair: turns all heads

corvette: turns most heads.

turbo grand prix: turns the heads of kids in WRX's, lancers, and other people who know what that "psssssh" sound means between shifts.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/12/08 11:02 p.m.

95 Civic hatch: revved-on, stared-at

99 Civic Si: revved-on, stared-at, thumbs-down from a Mustang GT full of meatheads, friendly honks, compliments at gas stations/oil change places, ricer fly-by's--you name it.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan New Reader
6/13/08 3:57 a.m.
On the subject of a gay cars, I asked a gay friend cars that he and his friends would consider gay. His top three were not what I would have suspected: Corvette, Jeep Wrangler, RX8.

the RX8 is a funny one, an outrageously gay co-worker also owned an eight, which his very straight boyfriend scraped to death, probably in a duel with a middle aged asian woman - there, not just Adam Sandler gets to offend everyone!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
6/13/08 6:04 a.m.
skierd wrote: My blue 2001 Accent got me to be known as hyundai dave as it was probably the only Hyundai on its roof in Flint, MI.

Fixed

What kind of bike did you get?

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 New Reader
6/13/08 11:46 a.m.

i dont get much attention in the miata despite my good looks and the car. Maybe its the missing door panels, lack of gauge hood, no top and only half carpets. oh well....the miata is my autox b*tch. the suspension is all flyin miata and it runs like a top

i get attention other ways

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/13/08 12:11 p.m.

1960 TR3 - Magnet for Chicks, old guys, kids - everyone loves a red TR3 with wire wheels. I even get a thumbs up from at least 25% of the Harley riders. My kids like us to pick them up at school in the TR3. The other kids go nuts over the car. It's amazing.

At car cruise nights, the kids flock to the TR3, which is almost swallowed up by the huge 'merican muscle cars. While the outside of the car is nice, the interior is ok, but in need of updating, so I tell just about any kid that I feel is truly admiring the car that yes, he can touch it and feel free to climb OVER the door and plop down on the seat. They love it. It's funny though, sometimes I have to reassure the parents a few times that it's ok for thier kids to get in and play.

Car are meant to be touched, enjoyed and shared with the next generation.

TR8 - folks look up when they hear the raspy V8, but most don't look for long once they see it. The ones that do stare are always trying to figure out if it's an italian exotic. Weird!

Jack

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
6/13/08 12:49 p.m.

Nissan 240SX coupe (S13): The closest I got to attention were the unlucky pedetrians behind the car choking on the oil- and coolant-filled exhaust plumes. Old-man-car gold makes good camouflage.

Saab GM900: Before the accident, none. After the accident, looks that either said "HA-HA!" or "Ouch! Sucks to be you!" A couple of people offered to buy it from me after the accident, but I couldn't sell it 'til I got the Subaru because I desperatly needed the car.

Subaru: A few stares from middle school/high school kids and confused Honduh boys who've never seen a 2-door Impreza before. Some fellow Subaru fans are all behind my DIY STi plans. No female attention, but I can't afford a girlfriend anyways now that I'm unemployed.

I did notice someone scoping out my Subaru last night while it was parked in my driveway; they peeled out when I went out to confront them. They're probably interested in my new rims since they have Azenis tires on them. I plan to go shopping for wheel locks and a Clutch-Club today.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/13/08 1:19 p.m.

96 civic dx hatch, no attention.. Until I told my coworkers I paid $2k for it and it gets over 40mpg highway.

Jay
Jay HalfDork
6/13/08 1:49 p.m.

The Lotus gets tons and tons of attention. Partly it's just people doing double takes because of the RHD, partly it's because every other car around here is a black or silver BMW or Audi, and partly it's because it looks like something really exotic if you don't know what it is. Owners of other British sports cars (MG, TVR, Triumph, doesn't matter what) usually wave and will come over to yack if I meet them at a gas station or whatever.

Heh, when I was still in England with it I stopped on the roadside and snapped some pics - unbeknownst to me, the school up the road had just gotten out and the rugrats were all walking home. I think I scored some 'cool guy' points with the flock who came over to check it out.

I haven't really driven the Starion enough to gauge its eyeball-attracting abilities yet but it's certainly shinier than any other car I've had...

My old AE86 Corolla got lots of attention too, but unfortunately it was from the giant-wing-and-fart-can-baseball-cap-on-sideways crowd who constantly tried to rev me at traffic lights. Thank you "Initial-D."

Where do you guys go where you get girls shouting their numbers at you in traffic? I've never had that happen.

J

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
6/13/08 2:34 p.m.
Jay wrote: Where do you guys go where you get girls shouting their numbers at you in traffic? I've never had that happen. J

That's cause you weren't in the right cars. In 30 years of driving, and owning over a hundred different cars, I've only had it happen in that one car (and it happened often in it).

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
6/13/08 2:42 p.m.

It's only happened to me once, in the 944. She was hot too.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut New Reader
6/13/08 3:08 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: It's only happened to me once, in the 944. She was hot too.

Which, really, is the reason Porsches have such great brakes!

Type Q
Type Q Reader
6/13/08 6:20 p.m.

'93 Civic Si: Just another car to all but the occational ricer who wants to buy it. '91 Miata: An occational thumbs up when its clean. The rest of the time, people seem to want to race to get ahead at off ramps, or don't see me at all. By now, I instinctively put my hand on the horn button when ever I see a large SUV with the driver talking on the phone.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wGvwM31Uy5eslmIA6QWc4clXLuXNd7rj4GiX5eqNpFP2csKS5Xm18ycY89NZRvWy