1 2 3 4
WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
12/12/16 5:56 a.m.

And, how he might have a positive effect on reining in an out of control EPA regarding GRM-style production car-based motor sports (and other areas where the EPA has far over-stepped it's original limited authority and mandate). Please discuss...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/12/16 6:55 a.m.

I personally think he's a threat to my job. Certainly to most of the projects I work on.

I also think the threat to motorsports is greatly exaggerated.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/12/16 7:07 a.m.

A fox watching the henhouse. I'm not a fan at all. Oklahoma has had over 2,000 earthquakes a year each of the past 2 years and it's all but certain that it's due to fracking and recently several have started to cross 5.0 on the ricter scale. In fact Oklahoma has more 5.0+ quakes then California, Washington state and Alaska combined this year.

And we want to an Oil man in charge of the department of interior and another as head of the EPA. No thanks, big Berkeleying no thanks.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
12/12/16 7:09 a.m.

Anybody else read the title and think it was this guy?

Last name is spelled differently apparently.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
12/12/16 7:15 a.m.

This nice piece of satire sums it up well. http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/trump-picks-el-chapo-to-run-d-e-a.

Our air and water are way too clean. Of course all corporations will always act in the interest of the greatest good.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
12/12/16 7:16 a.m.

In reply to minivan_racer:

Yes.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/16 7:17 a.m.
Sonic wrote: This nice piece of satire sums it up well. http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/trump-picks-el-chapo-to-run-d-e-a. Our air and water are way too clean. Of course all corporations will always act in the interest of the greatest good.

He picked Walter White on SNL

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
12/12/16 7:18 a.m.

I think the robber barons have cut out the middleman pretty much across the board.

I will be surprised if this ends well for anybody but them.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/12/16 7:27 a.m.

When I read stuff like this I don't think "gosh that EPA is out of control." Tunnel vision is bad. Fretting about someone making our hobbies a little more expensive seems childish when actual lives are at stake. (And I don't mean goose lives.)

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/12/16 7:33 a.m.
KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
12/12/16 8:08 a.m.

I think things are about to get much worse for most of the planet, not just the US.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. On a grand scale.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/16 8:23 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: A fox watching the henhouse. I'm not a fan at all.

This...and it's part of a pattern.

KyAllroad wrote: I think things are about to get much worse for most of the planet, not just the US. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. On a grand scale.

And this.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/12/16 8:26 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: A fox watching the henhouse. I'm not a fan at all. Oklahoma has had over 2,000 earthquakes a year each of the past 2 years and it's all but certain that it's due to fracking and recently several have started to cross 5.0 on the ricter scale. In fact Oklahoma has more 5.0+ quakes then California, Washington state and Alaska combined this year. And we want to an Oil man in charge of the department of interior and another as head of the EPA. No thanks, big Berkeleying no thanks.

This.

I can't wait to get out of this state and idiots the general public put in office.

It's embarrassing.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/12/16 8:39 a.m.

I am not a fan of anyone whose chosen ignorance* of science will (and has) cause harm to many, many people.

I don't know how it is possible for anyone to think that the EPA is out of control as it is. If anything, they're way too conservative now. As Aldo Leopold said, "What if there be no more goose music?" While I'm not worried about the geese, I am worried about a lot of other animals--including humans.

*I say ignorance, but they know of the facts and choose to ignore them. So probably it is just stupidity and greed.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/12/16 8:41 a.m.

Not a fan.

On a related note, I'd like to see a scientific/unbiased article on the impact of amateur & professional motorsports on the environment.

z31maniac wrote: I can't wait to get out of this state and idiots the general public put in office. It's embarrassing.

This is how I felt about NC for the past 6 months. Now that McCrory is out I feel a bit better.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
12/12/16 8:48 a.m.

Not good. As others have said more eloquently than I could, there is more at stake than racing.

GameboyRMH
12/12/16 8:50 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: On a related note, I'd like to see a scientific/unbiased article on the impact of amateur & professional motorsports on the environment.

It would be pretty small. Most of the emissions in motorsport are from transportation (teams moving their cars and equipment on big rigs and planes) and parts production. Tailpipe emissions from the cars themselves are probably one of the smallest emissions sources involved, surely less than computing power among big teams these days (assuming they're not using renewable power sources to run the data centers & simulators).

Every time a single F1 team moves it probably puts more CO2 in the atmosphere than all the world's amateur motorsports combined.

Edit: Maybe that's using too narrow a definition of "amateur." For example, GTAC/WTAC could be considered "amateur" but you have to fly your car around the world to compete.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
12/12/16 8:56 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Every time a single F1 team moves it probably puts more CO2 in the atmosphere than all the world's amateur motorsports combined.

250k NASCAR fans driving/flying/farting to/at the tracks, the logistics of teams and the electricity used by the facilities would all have to be factored in. It's probably still going to be a pixel on the HDTV screen of pollution. Thousands of factories are spewing fumes all day every day in every country with an electrical grid.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/12/16 9:00 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: On a related note, I'd like to see a scientific/unbiased article on the impact of amateur & professional motorsports on the environment.

I mentioned this in the threads about the proposed rules- IMHO, it's not about the actual race cars and racing. It's about the loophole that allows people to slap on parts to their cars in the interest of off road only, and then driving them every day. And of that, I think the diesel guys are the ones who really did an amazing job illustrating that- given how few full sized diesel trucks actually compete vs. the sales volume of the "off road use only" parts. AkA- thank the coal rollers.

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
12/12/16 9:10 a.m.

I am for any political appointment that allows me to enjoy automobiles and motorcycles as freely and inexpensively as possible, regardless of any real or imaginary threat to the environment.

Can't wait to log back on here tomorrow morning - to a site called Grassroots Motorsports - and read about how misinformed, ignorant, and selfish I am for wanting unfettered access to participate in grassroots motorsports.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/12/16 9:11 a.m.

I don't want to have the argument here. Sure almost anything someone or a small group of people could be justified as "noise" in the big picture... but its still a factor. I'm just curious how big it is.

Offhand I can tell you that a single NASCAR car burns more fuel in 3 races than I do all year.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/16 9:18 a.m.

LOL, yeah, Scott Pruitt I would be OK with!

GameboyRMH
12/12/16 9:25 a.m.

Here's something interesting, the FIA has bought enough carbon credits to offset all F1 and WRC emissions, making those two series carbon-neutral (at least on paper) for almost 20 years now:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56953

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
12/12/16 9:31 a.m.

I dislike the closing of off-road use loopholes, not because of the intent but the implementation. I like clean air, water and food as much as the next guy. I'm fine with not being able to emit more than a certain amount of something and having it tested for compliance. Racing is not diminished in any way by running clean. I'm not OK with being told I cannot change anything from the way I bought it or I am committing a crime and that is how it is usually written to law despite almost every state having some form of tail-pipe sniffing inspection infrastructure in place.

jde
jde HalfDork
12/12/16 9:34 a.m.
minivan_racer wrote: Anybody else read the title and think it was this guy?

"Hi, to all my lobbyists in Washington..."

1 2 3 4

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
8DEcUAUgG3PiTR3R4a9hiH4foZzmKMMepfpfEhVK5b2ZNjYbPFBRDXfBNxj99fAC