1 2 3 4
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/16 1:32 p.m.

^I highly recommend this illustrated timeline of Earth's temperature to put it in perspective (get your scrolling finger warmed up):

XKCD's Earth Temperature Timeline

Ross413
Ross413 Reader
12/12/16 1:36 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

By that logic, if I cut off my arm, I will expect you to as well...

No. It does not make it ok.

If my neighbor murders his wife, I will not buy things from him, as I disagree with murdering your wife.

Stop taking sound bites and making them talking points. That graph is just a small part of the issue.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
12/12/16 1:40 p.m.
iceracer wrote: The earth has been warming for centuries even before mankind existed. Lowering the CO2 level "might" slow it.

But does that mean we should ignore it? We've got to figure out what do with millions of people who will be in the way of rising tides, changing climate patterns that affects rainfall and other water resources, food production, and increasing occurrences of dramatic weather events.

Even if we're not the cause the climate change, that still doesn't mean we want dirty air, dirty water, clear-cut forests and species hunted to extinction.

Even if we're not the cause of climate change, there is still a lot we need to do prepare for it to change, whether we can do anything to stop it or not.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/12/16 1:41 p.m.

In before the lock.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/12/16 1:45 p.m.
iceracer wrote: The earth has been warming for centuries even before mankind existed. Lowering the CO2 level "might" slow it. The year I was born the earth was in a hot spell, then it cooled and we had artic temperatures. January 1970 the temperature hardly rose above zero F. So yes, I am a bit of a skeptic.

You're looking at snapshots though. Don't look at a snapshot.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/12/16 1:46 p.m.

Please refer to the "Forum Rules" post stickied at the top of this forum. Pay special mention to the prohibition against political discussions. (Just to be clear, this decision is to promote civility and discourage the dissemination of stupidity. Any questions why we need it, read through this thread.)

And since you guys mentioned fairy tales, I have edited my prior, somewhat hotheaded reply here to include a happy picture of a page from that German children's classic, Der Struwwelpeter:

Come to think of it, that ties it all together quite nicely.

Margie

1 2 3 4

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
akQUts9l3kZsjnN95d0p9ESAjxuv4CgdmVFH1kz5hja68ChRNdGNgOWCIMu7hwBv