iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/3/21 10:29 a.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

I'm a high school history teacher, 

Thank you.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/3/21 10:37 a.m.

Well, I was an auto damage appraiser for an insurance company until last month. I moved to an estimate review job, which means I will sit at a desk in my house and mouse click my way through the day instead of driving around looking at crashed cars. I'm mostly okay with that, as it was getting old and a whole lot less enjoyable.

Unfortunately, my current employer's inability to manage personnel has me temporarily (it better be, or I'll quit) working as a claim rep, a job that sucks donkey balls. Instead of a job where I never talk to customers I now have a job where I ONLY talk to customers. Imagine my joy.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
11/3/21 10:56 a.m.

I own a balloon ride biz and do most all the flying.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/21 11:01 a.m.

I am a vocational rehabilitation counselor lead working with people with disabilities (physical and mental of all forms from mild to near-total) in order to train or re-train them to work. I work with a huge range of people, from someone with a mild issue going to college to be an RN full time to someone with a severe hereditary disability that is attempting to work 10 hours a week in supported employment and everything in-between. It's a lot of work but it's rewarding and pays really well.

I am also a local elected non-partisan official for a flood control zone district where I keep 1300 homes from being flooded by the Cowlitz River (which is where all the ash from Mt. St. Helens goes) which has been an eye-opening experience on how government works.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/3/21 11:02 a.m.

I do Talent Management Innovation for the Air Force in a giant 5 sided office building, basically a consultant that is underpaid by at least 3x.

Before this I did automation bots and stuff using Robotic process automation and machine learning. I mostly told people what could be automated and how, sometimes I did development. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/3/21 11:19 a.m.

Business development / early product management for a large, private materials innovation company.

I wire/tune/troubleshoot race cars when I have a spare minute or two.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
11/3/21 11:24 a.m.

Adapt automation to scientific discovery problems and take that data and adapt it for AI to crunch. 

I also do hard money loans and pawn on the side. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/21 11:25 a.m.

I run a little company that sells, installs, and repairs commercial pedestrian doors and hardware. Our specialty is automatic doors but we will work on just about anything. 

Lots of work in hospitals, government, and industrial facilities.  We also spend a lot of time bailing out contractors that hired the low bidder only to find out they couldn't actually complete the job. 

The current job on my desk is replacing these. Custom built, 10' tall, 6' wide, painted mahogany, and about 4 times the price of a challenge car at my cost. They are a little out of our wheelhouse, but the building management company can't find anyone willing to replace them. 

Honsch
Honsch Reader
11/3/21 11:28 a.m.

I'm a software guy for an auto manufacturer.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
11/3/21 11:51 a.m.
alfadriver said:

Product Development Engineer at an US OEM. 

Same, but with decades to do

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/3/21 12:03 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Adapt automation to scientific discovery problems and take that data and adapt it for AI to crunch. 

This, except I'm currently funemployed.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/3/21 12:04 p.m.

Professional cat herder and left, right brain interpreter.  And those words appear in my resume.

Translation, after a career as an automotive R&D engineer I am now 'Director of Production Innovation' for a Korean supplier working on new Chassis technologies.  That means I have a team of much much better Engineers than I could ever be do the hard work, while I sort out the company politics, pricing, strategy etc.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/3/21 12:08 p.m.

I make beer and liquor.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/3/21 12:20 p.m.

I play with tape and watch the wind blow, while trying to decipher the trends in the numbers

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
11/3/21 12:25 p.m.

I sling parts for the big Japanese T.  
Was training to be a plumber but an injury put me back here. Eh. It's alright. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/3/21 12:31 p.m.

Wealth redistribution engineer: https://www.vintagerodshop.com/

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/3/21 12:40 p.m.

Chassis Dynamics Engineer for a small EV startup. I'll get to decide suspension components and tuning from simulation to ride performance testing. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/3/21 12:43 p.m.

OnlyFans. Big demand for super awkward guys with beer guts you know.

Really engineer at the maker of The Answer.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/3/21 12:49 p.m.

I was in corporate capital management/facilitation, designed and built the tool that we use to do it. Then our purview grew about 2,000%, the team grew with it, and now I maintain, enhance, and further build the tool. It was originally a way of getting out of spreadsheet hell, hardly more than a spreadsheet accessed online. Now it is a relational database that is overly complex and constantly changing; I've been doing the work of 3 people for the past 6 month too. 

If anyone is an entry-levelish person with some relational database experience, LMK - we have a spot open.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
11/3/21 12:49 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Engineer at an aerospace megacorp.

Im curious which one, Ive got a few friends at various ones around WS

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
11/3/21 12:51 p.m.

This is very cool to see all the walks of life of people on here, one common passion.

Thanks for replies, folks, I appreciate yall

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/3/21 12:59 p.m.

E commerce.  You order. We ship 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
11/3/21 1:00 p.m.

Retired from a real job a few years ago when I sold the company, so now I fund and mentor minority owned businesses, mostly start ups. I do hard money lending on the side to cover some costs of the start ups as they're at 0% interest. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/21 1:00 p.m.

I do IT work: sysadmin, programming, web dev, media editing. Right now I'm doing tech support work for a healthcare software company.

1 2 3 4 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E25ncMphNrOeMPDJQOnJYEfyeOe5TERPKi193hyZ3IJyvi64RwZgmOJo2uycofw5