1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/21 3:41 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Automobile mechanic since 1980.  Shop owner since 1987.  Technician since they invented the term, I guess, although I really prefer being a good old mechanic.  

I just realized I'm coming up to 40 years of working on fuel injected gasoline cars.  There is something that has come a long way.  I'm kinda the go-to guy for Volvo D-jetronic around here.

I mean, on the one hand, my condolences.  But on the other hand, D-jet is about as simple as it can possibly get.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/5/21 3:44 p.m.

I fix stuff that sailors break.

Erich
Erich UberDork
11/5/21 3:53 p.m.

I'm a nurse. Work in clinical trials with oncology and, lately, COVID patients. Basically I help take care of people who are on medications which are not FDA approved for their condition, and gather their data in hopes those medications are better than what's out there now. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
11/5/21 4:45 p.m.

I am the operations manager for a auto paint wholesaler/supplier that deals with auto body shops and jobbers.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
11/5/21 9:40 p.m.

Been a lot of places - but only 4 employers.

-Heavy equipment operator

-Heavy equipment mechanic

-Auto mechanic

-Tech writer

-Heavy equipment operator (again)

-Customer Service derp

-Customer Service/Estimating manager

-Industrial engineer

-Foundry engineer

-Project manager

-Sales Engineer

-Design Engineer

-Lead Engineer

-QA Manager

-Product Line Manager

-Technical Director

And thats where we leave off today.  If you have any of the following products its been touched by our equipment

• John Deere 
  • Bobcat
  • Lodge Cast Iron
  • Neenah Foundry or East Jordan Iron Works castings (manhole covers and grates)
  • Rheem or AOSmith water heaters
  • Lippert (LCI) RV chassis and components
  • Polaris
  • Mercury Marine
  • SEW Eurodrive
  • Victaulic
  • Caterpillar
  • Kia and Hyundai suspension components
  • Any of the Big 3 suspension components
  • Borg Warner
  • And so on so forth.  Building and supporting foundry and metal finishing equipment is always exciting.  
11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
11/5/21 10:06 p.m.

In reply to preach (fs) :

I used to fix GE design screw ups...all my boats are decommissioned now.

I am in bicycle retail management. It is a really fun job! I've been working at bicycle shops  the vast majority of my career, starting in the mid-90's. My current position is focused on the sales floor, sales staff, and customer experience, plus day-to-day operations for a store that is either a 'large' locally-owned store, or a 'small' big bike shop (at least smaller than others doing similar volume.) 

I can't disclose too many specifics, but our annual gross is eight places. We have two retail stores, plus a warehouse/receiving/assembly facility, roughly 2000 bicycles in stock, around 75-80 employees. The pay isn't the best, but it is fun and challenging, so I'm not sure I'd trade it for much else!

Jason McRoberts
Jason McRoberts New Reader
11/6/21 2:13 p.m.

I'm a certified dental technician. I own a small denture lab in East Texas. Definitely a cat herder as my only employees are my SO and my mother in law. I enjoy the the actual making of things but being the HMFIC can be tiresome.smiley I've been in this field for twenty years (eight self employed). Previously I drove a beer truck, dispatched for a university security organization, valet parked, and worked more customer service and resteraunt jobs than I like to think about. If I ever "retire" I would like to open a crossroads BBQ stand on a warm island somewhere.

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/6/21 7:20 p.m.
NBraun said:

Ag research for a local college.

I basically farm on a very very small scale.

I haven't seen many other in Ag on here. 

I am a Soybean breeder but the 70-80 hour weeks during the busy seasons are killing me so I am looking for something else. 

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
11/6/21 7:41 p.m.

In reply to karplus2 :

I design equipment for indoor agriculture. Does that count? 

Engineering manager for a company in the cannabis industry. It's a weird job. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/6/21 9:50 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Automobile mechanic since 1980.  Shop owner since 1987.  Technician since they invented the term, I guess, although I really prefer being a good old mechanic.  

I just realized I'm coming up to 40 years of working on fuel injected gasoline cars.  There is something that has come a long way.  I'm kinda the go-to guy for Volvo D-jetronic around here.

I mean, on the one hand, my condolences.  But on the other hand, D-jet is about as simple as it can possibly get.

So are carburetors but over half this forum needs a safe space every time someone mentions them.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/21 9:57 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

D-jet is waaaaaaaay simpler than carburetors.

Speaking as someone who has successfully diagnosed and repaired D-jet equipped Mercedes, and swore up and down at Holley for making me need to use a pin vise to tune what should be replaceable jets like more civilized carburetors use.

(my evening:

using parts made for a 1930s American carb, to make a 1960s Italian carb work in the place of a 1970s Japanese carb.

For those playing the home game, using Stromberg 97 throttle arms to use a Dell'Orto DHLA to replace the 4bbl Nikki carburetor on one of my RX-7s, which I bought because anachronism)

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/7/21 6:49 a.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

We joke that XXX builds the boats and then we make them seaworthy.

Uncle David (Forum Supporter)
Uncle David (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/7/21 10:13 a.m.

Another engineer here.

Spent most of the 90's working for an automotive OEM making small plastic parts. Great first real job for a car guy.  Spent the '00's at a US manufacturer of industrial equipment.  Then a few years as a stay-at-home parent and community volunteer. Currently playing a very small role in keeping a specific group of people safe from unauthorized ones and zeros. It's objectively my best job ever by far, but I miss manufacturing and mechanical stuff sometimes.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/7/21 11:17 a.m.

I sell small parts for large cars.

When I can get them.  frown

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/7/21 7:15 p.m.

Day job: IT Admin/Management

Side gig: Freelance Automotive Journalist

I have WAY more fun doing the side gig, but the day job isn't so bad. Been working on some cool projects lately that have been rewarding. IT can be hell on Earth, but I get a lot of autonomy on what I want my company to do and what I want to do with my time, which is rare in this field. 

I need to refocus in 2022 and see if I can branch out a bit with the writing/side gig. I mainly write for one blog, so getting some additional work here and there would be cool. I also need to focus on my fledgling YouTube channel and add content. That takes a lot of effort! I spent way too much time wrenching this year to get in front of the camera. I did get to attend my 1st press event a couple weeks ago which was a big step forward! 

NBraun
NBraun GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/7/21 7:53 p.m.

In reply to karplus2 :

Well that's cool to see someone else on here in AG. Plant research is a bit of a niche. 

I have it a bit easier as we don't do any breeding. Just mostly efficacy trials for fungicide. I've actually been trying to find a job in the private sector, but a bit difficult with just an associates.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
11/7/21 8:33 p.m.

Auto insurance company claims management.  Basically the people that work for me handle liability claims for people who are making bodily injury claims for auto crashes in PA, MD, DE, WV.  It isn't exciting but they treat me well.  I've been with the company for 13 years and this is my 7th different position, 4th different management position.  

Non paying, I am the co host of a podcast about endurance racing for about four years (Everyone Racers).   

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/21 6:00 p.m.

My fancy title is Road Operations Superintendent for a Major Transit Agency. It's part cat herder, part gopher and part cheerleader to make sure the drivers and supervisors on my routes have what they need to keep people moving. In addition I responded to major incidents either involving us or where our support may be needed and as assistant paper shuffler and nerd I am our person for special event meetings and learning about new tech. 

I've done a little over 20 years first as a bus operator, then a supervisor before becoming management. This is likely as far as I'll go up the ladder as each step crushes more of your will to live with very little return. It's pretty good for someone that likes being outside, and can juggle a few things at once and I'm good enough at the things no one wants to do that I am insulted from some of the politics that goes on. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/12/21 6:38 a.m.
iansane said:
spitfirebill said:
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I applied to veterinary school so that my dad would quit bugging me about it. I figured I'd get turned down, and then do what I really wanted to do, go teach. Probably history.

I work on cats and dogs now.

When I was going through college vet school was a lot harder to get into than med school.  Becuase SC doesn't have a vet school, we could only send 2 student to Ga Vet shool.  I know some guys went to Tuskeegee first  and then transferred to Auburn.  

Is that why most vets nowadays are shiny happy people? (not saying you are floating doc, just my tiny window of the world around where I live)

It may have something to do with the incredibly high stress of the job, and the expectation that we should work cheap, or free. For many years we have had the highest suicide rate of all professions, and it isn't going down. 

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/12/21 7:56 a.m.
iansane said:
spitfirebill said:

I applied to veterinary school so that my dad would quit bugging me about it. I figured I'd get turned down, and then do what I really wanted to do, go teach. Probably history.

When I was going through college vet school was a lot harder to get into than med school.  Becuase SC doesn't have a vet school, we could only send 2 student to Ga Vet shool.  I know some guys went to Tuskeegee first  and then transferred to Auburn.  

Is that why most vets nowadays are shiny happy people? (not saying you are floating doc, just my tiny window of the world around where I live)

It may have something to do with the incredibly high stress of the job, and the expectation that we should work cheap, or free. For many years we have had the highest suicide rate of all professions, and it isn't going down. 

I could never be a vet.  Those who stay in the profession are damn amazing people for doing so (present company included).

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/12/21 8:52 a.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:
iansane said:
spitfirebill said:

I could never be a vet.  Those who stay in the profession are damn amazing people for doing so (present company included).

Your patient cannot tell you what is wrong, their owners look everything up on the internet and think they know better (my vet one time handed a cat owner a scalpal and said "if you think you can spay your cat, go ahead), you get eviscerated for telling factual statements (I don't like XYZ breed, they have ABC problems and their behavior can be difficult), and people always think you're overcharging. 

Then, you do have bad vets/practices too - the one closest to me, I wouldn't even let them express a dogs anal glands, and not only because they'd charge me $300 for it - that increase the scrutiny on the rest of the industry. 

It is why you're seeing more and more mega corporations taking over, which really doesn't help anything as they'll often try to push unnecessary treatments or medications... But the small guys can't take it anymore, or don't want to. 

And all of that adds up to high rates of depression and suicide. We go to a tremendous practice - we started going there because my cousin is a vet there - her favorite colleague, and our favorite vet outside of my family, recently committed suicide. It is hard to comprehend. This is a guy who got down on the ground, pulled a 100lb Pyrenees onto his lap, and comforted the Pyr before he started to treat him. And this man is gone. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/12/21 9:05 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Yes, it's definitely a tough profession. I think it's important that I say that I work for one of the large corporations, but one of the things that keeps me there is the freedom to make treatment recommendations that are the best for the patient, then tailor them to fit.

Sometimes that means that I will tell the owner that it's best that they not spend money at my location, but go to someone else. There's not a lot of places I could work where I would get away with that. We put the patient first.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/12/21 9:10 a.m.
lnlogauge said:

In reply to karplus2 :

I design equipment for indoor agriculture. Does that count? 

Engineering manager for a company in the cannabis industry. It's a weird job. 

So I'm curious, do you guys have in house testing facilities and greenhouses, or do you work with growers directly?

Guy I used to grow for years ago out west is working with some small company making new LED grow lights, sounds like it's just him, the investor, and the scientist doing all the work, but I haven't been able to sit down and have a long talk about it with him yet. He's been running scores of test grows with different chip sets and wavelengths, trying to work out the changing spectrum as the "season" changes.

The wall they're hitting is similar to the wall faced by nutrient companies, where every strain likes things a little different, so trying to make a "perfect but universal" system is very resource and labor intensive. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/12/21 9:22 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

We put the patient first.

I know this really applies to almost every industry or vendor-consumer interaction but I just wish this was more common. It's incredibly hard to find a vet that even pretends like they care. I got lucky for a number of years with my last canine sidekick but I later found out that he was part owner and that gave him the freedom to do whatever he wanted. I also can understand (coming from mostly retail) how employees get burned out caring about everyone when the pet owners/customers can be so... toxic.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4t32zRbstx6mZkYwmhkoEPYkpXM91vwmVEWZU2QGRJ8gAxBIAo9WY4qANj7JCKr9