1 2
carguy123
carguy123 Dork
8/11/09 3:18 p.m.

Thanx for the memory jogger about Northern Tools. I need a grinder stand so I'll also look for the peg board stuff.

I am the world's best at looking and something and finding improvements - except for my own stuff.

Hal
Hal HalfDork
8/11/09 8:44 p.m.

My garage tools are air powered and are kept in the large drawers at the bottom of my roll-around in the garage.

My woodworking , etc tools are electric and are kept in their cases on a 48"x24"x72" shelving unit in the basement. It is a PITA to keep them in the cases but since I am the "family handyman" for my wifes four siblings and various other relatives it makes it easy to grab a couple cases, throw them in the car and go.

BTW: Everything in both shops is on wheels, the table saw, bandsaw, etc.. That makes it much easier to work on larger projects especially in a small shop.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
8/11/09 9:09 p.m.

Now I need an easy way to store extension cords.

The way I do it (rolling around my hand to elbow and then wrapping around the length like a new power cord) has been twisting them too much.

I don't like those little plastic roll up thingies as you basically have to totally unroll the whole cord when you want to use them as the plastic roll is always in the wrong place or length from the plug to hang there.

I want to hang them on the pegboard or wall so that I can easily spot them and see which one I want to use. Any ideas?

Is there a special way to roll one up that doesn't twist it and is easy to undo?

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
8/11/09 9:54 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Now I need an easy way to store extension cords. The way I do it (rolling around my hand to elbow and then wrapping around the length like a new power cord) has been twisting them too much. I don't like those little plastic roll up thingies as you basically have to totally unroll the whole cord when you want to use them as the plastic roll is always in the wrong place or length from the plug to hang there. I want to hang them on the pegboard or wall so that I can easily spot them and see which one I want to use. Any ideas? Is there a special way to roll one up that doesn't twist it and is easy to undo?

I have good luck with the plastic rollers if I start with the male end of the cord, and leave a few feet before I start winding. That way the spool can stay by the plug and I can wall out with the socket end.

Joey

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
8/11/09 10:37 p.m.

I have been building shelves for the past week when I have time, one set is 16 x 4 and three shelves high for doors, transmissions, hoods etc, I have about 10 cars worth of parts.

The second set is 16 x 2 and five shelves high, this one is going to hold all my Triumph parts and is in another room.

These seem like they are huge until you start loading panels onto them.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/11/09 10:38 p.m.
16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
8/12/09 8:01 a.m.

My "grassroots" (or cheap-ass) solution is to buy the really cheap reels that look like this: And use a hole saw to cut a hole in the center of them. You can't tell from the picture, but the side opposite of the crank handle is open. Feed the female end of the cord through the hole you made with the hole saw and wrap your cord. That way you can just plug the cord in, walk to what ever you need to plug in whole holding the cord reel, and you can plug in what ever you need to. No need to unreel the whole thing. I hope that made sense, it's kinda hard to explain.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
8/12/09 9:11 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: That's for guys without a life. I'm just trying to get stuff organized enough that I can get onto my car projects quickly.

Well... like I said, some of these guys take tool storage VERY seriously...

That said, there is a LOT to be said for investing time up-front in organization so that it pays off in time saved while working on a project. As messy as my house is and as much as I wish my garage were cleaner, I'm boarder-line neurotic about keeping my tools clean and organized. I hate looking for a tool when I'm in the middle of a task. To the point when I finish a task, I'll often put EVERYTHING away... even if I have to immediately pull the same wrench out of the drawer again...

How to wrap extension cords so they don't twist up? That's easy. DON'T coil them over your arm.

Simply hold the end of the cord in one hand and make coils with your other one. For really long and heavy cords (we have one that is 3#12, 100' long and weighs around 30 lbs), coil it on the floor/ground. I was taught this back when I did stage work in high school... when the stage manager almost threw a hammer at me when I started to coil a cord around my arm... Long, heavy rope is coiled the same way.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/09 9:18 a.m.

Most of my power tools are in a case of some sort, and kept on shelves. Each case has spare bits/blades, the necessary tools for changing blades, a 2-3 prong adapter, and anything else the tool might require for a day's use. When I have to go somewhere to drill something, I know I can just grab the case and an extension cord and go.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
8/12/09 10:30 a.m.
How to wrap extension cords so they don't twist up? That's easy. DON'T coil them over your arm. Simply hold the end of the cord in one hand and make coils with your other one.

Tr00f!!!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/09 12:01 p.m.

OSB is seriously flammable (small pieces of wood plus glue, yikes!). Switch to sheetrock before you go too far.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
8/12/09 1:26 p.m.

Gone too far! The walls are done.

Actually when I've burned the scraps (we're in the country) it burns slower than plywood and much slower than 2x4's etc. It smolders longer before it flames.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
8/13/09 9:17 a.m.
Woody wrote: OSB is seriously flammable (small pieces of wood plus glue, yikes!). Switch to sheetrock before you go too far.

Not that I'm entirely disagreeing with you, but you realize OSB is used as outside sheeting and floor under-layment in 99.99% of new construction, right? By the time an OSB wall goes up, it's likely you have other issues...

"Good" garage wall covered depend heavily on budget and use as much as anything. In a perfect world (at least in mine): 1/2" ply under 1/2" sheetrock - looks good and is easy to paint, but still provides solid attachment for cabinets and what-not without have to worry so much about stud locations. Even better: thicker ply with a stain resistant poly covering. (bear in mind, I work in the pharma industry and see all sorts of "price-no-object" floor and wall coatings for cleanroom and XP spaces).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JCXDUat5j4MpveGcNqlolGgBGaBiIVyCgkwyhhcKxO9r2IhkyFc0FTre9DVEwDsR