1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
3/4/10 7:13 a.m.
gamby wrote: This thread is one big commercial for satellite radio, BTW. I don't have any of these complaints as a Sirius subscriber. People who say "I won't pay for radio" can stick w/ the awful stuff that passes for radio these days--I'll listen to good music.

My wife uses her iPhone for Pandora more than all other uses combined.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
3/4/10 8:39 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote:
gamby wrote: This thread is one big commercial for satellite radio, BTW. I don't have any of these complaints as a Sirius subscriber. People who say "I won't pay for radio" can stick w/ the awful stuff that passes for radio these days--I'll listen to good music.
My wife uses her iPhone for Pandora more than all other uses combined.

...and that iphone plan costs how much per month???

alex
alex Dork
3/4/10 8:41 a.m.

This is also a big commercial for good community radio.

St. Louis is lucky to have KDHX. We get independent music out the wazoo, and they're super-supportive of local bands. I don't know how we'd have got anywhere without them. Being St. Louis (home of the Tweedy-Farrar Crater) there's a a lot of alt.country here (not to be confused with alternative country), but the variety of programming is pretty staggering when you consider it.

KDHX is seriously one of the best things about living in St. Louis for a music lover like me.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
3/4/10 9:17 a.m.

Alex, is your band playing any shows this upcoming weekend? I'll be in St. Louis for the evolution driving school...

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
3/4/10 9:23 a.m.
alex wrote: This is also a big commercial for good community radio. St. Louis is lucky to have KDHX. We get independent music out the wazoo, and they're super-supportive of local bands. I don't know how we'd have got anywhere without them. Being St. Louis (home of the Tweedy-Farrar Crater) there's a a lot of alt.country here (not to be confused with alternative country), but the variety of programming is pretty staggering when you consider it. KDHX is seriously one of the best things about living in St. Louis for a music lover like me.

Two things with regular radio though...With Sirius certain radios can pause (Worth its weight when you have to get out to deliver a pizza) and commercials. I would rather 10 bucks a month to not have to listen to several minutes of commercials every hour.

Joey

Joey

alex
alex Dork
3/4/10 9:44 a.m.
mtn wrote: Alex, is your band playing any shows this upcoming weekend? I'll be in St. Louis for the evolution driving school...

Damn, we're off! We're not playing 'til the 20th. Our schedule is uncharacteristically light in March, since we're getting our new bass player up to speed. (That tends to take a while, since I recently added up our regular catalog to something like 73 tunes.)

You're going to be here 5/6 or 12/13? Either way, I'm sure I can find a cool show for you to catch while you're here. Shoot me a PM.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
3/4/10 9:49 a.m.
alex wrote: You're going to be here 5/6 or 12/13? Either way, I'm sure I can find a cool show for you to catch while you're here. Shoot me a PM.

Doesn't matter anyways... just talked to Dad, he already found a bluegrass (or maybe folk?) jam that we're going to try to go to. Looks like we're comin down with some guitars.

alex
alex Dork
3/4/10 9:51 a.m.
joey48442 wrote: I would rather 10 bucks a month to not have to listen to several minutes of commercials every hour.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I really can't listen to commercial radio anymore for that very reason. But, KDHX is non-profit and community-oriented, so our 'commercials' are mainly concert calendars and other local stuff. Granted, like your NPR station, we still have to endure a couple pledge drives a year, but that's the nature of the beast.

Not knocking satellite radio, but you'll never hear your local bands on there. When it comes down to it, you're still generally getting corporate-produced radio. Is it head and shoulders above regular commercial radio? No question. But it's no substitute for a top-notch independent community radio station.

Hey, if you want to tap into our community (or ignore that stuff and just listen to some pretty damn good music programming), you can listen online at KDHX.org. Thurday's lineup is pretty strong, too: we've got alt.country from 10-12, rocakbilly from 12-2, soul/r&B from 2-4, then a great blues show from 4-7. Check it out, and if you like it, be sure to email the DJ, tell him you like what you hear, and tell 'em I sent you.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/10 9:55 a.m.

The Satelite is great, mine died and I miss it greatly. Our local radio stinks on ice, and NYC doesn't even a pop country station(That's another rant. How a city of 8 million supposedly diverse people ends up with 12 top 40 stations, Four rap/r&b, an oldies station, and one rock and one classic rock station is odd. Are all those cabs and trucks really listening to Teeney bopper music?)

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/4/10 11:42 a.m.

In reply to alex:

another great station that operates the same way is WBER out of a Rochester, NY suberb. http://wber.monroe.edu/site/html/index.php it's not country but still eclectic and they stream over the web.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
3/4/10 12:06 p.m.
bluej wrote: some of the older "punk/emo/indie/whatever" groups definitely went down that path. see: The Get Up Kids or Chamberlain.

Thats how I started listening to it.. hardcore/ punk, to post hardcore/indie, to singer/songwrtiter folk stuff to.. well whatever sounds good anymore. I don't care where it comes from.

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
3/4/10 8:10 p.m.

like alex we here are lucky with a NPR station WNCW 88.7.... extremely eclectic during the day... as said we have the fund raisers twice a yr and it does lean a little to the left on verbal commentary but it has some great shows.... Sat morn ~ 3 hrs of Jazz, Sat 11a to 7p bluegrass, 7p to midnight (I think) blues, Sun morn 6a to 9a bluegrass gospel , noon to 3 (?) celtic 3p to 6 old time... and it's available on the web (somehow, I'm not literate enough to know... )

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/5/10 2:19 a.m.

Some of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqbRw_g-BTI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ysA7DU0fs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9T3OUKXbnw

lewbud
lewbud Reader
3/5/10 10:22 p.m.

I was getting fed up with the country stations here in Dallas/Fort Worth as they are "pop" country for the most part. Found 95.3 The Range which is the country music we're talking about now. Only change the station when I get to the edge of their broadcasting range, which fortunately is just west and south of my apartment in Arlington. If I could throw some other Texas artists into the mix Radney Foster, 1100 Springs, Max Stalling, Big Daddy Don Walser, Ray Wylie Hubbard (can't go wrong with a guy named after a lake) and some classics like Asleep at the Wheel and Jerry Jeff Walker.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
3/5/10 10:40 p.m.

One of the new She and Him songs ("Thieves") has a oldschool country-ish/early Roy Orbison vibe to it.

I'm not fully into them, but I do dig Zooey Dechanel's voice. Very distinct.

find it here: http://www.myspace.com/sheandhim

mtn
mtn SuperDork
3/6/10 10:43 p.m.

Another album to look at: The last one that John Fogerty has put out. Some real good stuff, everything from John Prine to Ricky Nelson to Buck Owens.

alex
alex Dork
3/7/10 10:38 a.m.

That'd be John Fogerty & the Blue Ridge Rangers - "Rides Again." Awkward grammar, but a good album indeed.

impulsive
impulsive New Reader
3/7/10 11:07 a.m.

check out Herb Sudzin's radio show on WRSU:

Sudzin Country

redrosegal
redrosegal
6/17/10 3:51 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/17/10 4:44 p.m.

Funny that this topic should come up. I got one of the Drive-By Trucker's albums. I love it.

4eyes
4eyes Reader
6/17/10 5:07 p.m.

They opened up a recording studio in Tulsa OK again. So hopefuly the Tulsa-sound will return to the airwaves. Most of the stuff I'm diggin now is classified as Rockabilly.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
6/17/10 5:14 p.m.

Suprised to see no one has mentioned Lucero.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/17/10 9:51 p.m.
Monkeywrench wrote: Suprised to see no one has mentioned Lucero.

Good stuff.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
6/17/10 11:20 p.m.

I love this thread.

More good country, if you don't mind digging through the folk and bluegrass and (yes, really) classical: The Kruger Brothers. Awesome stuff.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/18/10 12:00 a.m.

In reply to 4eyes:

I love me some rockabilly. The informants, royal dead, devil doll, etc.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FnAuGjSphhBUPihXX5muxRdmLFQCSDm45tVhAi1kh0S47thhu5Pk0NauWFbOOEnJ