1 ... 4 5 6 7
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/14/13 2:20 p.m.
fritzsch wrote: Its not.

Well, at least the girls are pretty. Who doesn't like to watch a cute thing prance around in a skirt and cowboy boots with the sound off.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
5/14/13 5:39 p.m.

It is just pop music from Nashville now.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
5/14/13 7:11 p.m.

Well, at least the girls are pretty. Who doesn't like to watch a cute thing prance around in a skirt and cowboy boots with the sound cranked and a cold one.

Sure, much of radio country coming from Nashvegas has the soul of a Britney Spears anthem (see also: Nickelback), but there is so much good stuff out there if you take a gander around. I was a hater until I started listening to Wilco (AM), then veered country with Reckless, Micky and the Motorcars, Randy Rogers, Phil Lee, Robert Earl, Stoney LaRue, Jason Boland, Drive By Truckers.... couple of good radio shows will put you straight.
May I recommend:
KVMR 89.5 Nevada City, CA from 12pm-4pm Saturdays. Listen live online.
SOMA FM Boot Liquor 24/7/365 good stuff.

But.... in the end, if you don't like it, you don't like it. I can't get around the corner on most metal- E36 M3 stresses me out.

FlyinMikeyJ
FlyinMikeyJ New Reader
5/15/13 11:28 p.m.

While I too hate the current batch of commercial country, I have some personal faves that are actually country: Ray Scott, Bobby Pinson, and (I am ashamed that I may be the first to post) Hank Williams III

Then there are some almost-country acts I really like: Drive By Truckers, as well as hick-hop acts Sunny Ledfurd and Colt Ford. If Ledfurd's "Till I Get To My Driveway" ain't country, then I have nothing else to say.

But some of the best country I have heard in the past few years comes from an Aussie hippie jam band: John Butler Trio. You need to check out "Losing You", "Devil Running" and "Funky Tonight". Yes, some of them songs are better classified as "rock", but that gee-tar is straight outta the South.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
5/16/13 12:39 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Well, at least the girls are pretty. Who doesn't like to watch a cute thing prance around in a skirt and cowboy boots with the sound cranked and a cold one.

Pretty girl in ripped jeans works pretty good, too. Along with a cold one, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB7ONnfIjaI

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
5/16/13 7:38 a.m.

I do understand that as a younger person, change in music is easier to take .. we actually embrace change, I moved along with the changes in country & rock as they happened in the 60's and 70's ... but eventually I lost that ability to accept the direction that "my" music was going...

radio country lost me yrs ago ... and I'm happy with that ... I don't knock those that like the singers/groups named so far, but they REALLY don't do anything for me .... I happy to stick to my old records/cd's and goldy/oldy shows ... happiest when they're playing Carter Family, Hank Sr, Blue Sky Boys, George, Merle, Johnny, Ernest Tubb, Faron Young, Loretta, Tammy, Kitty Wells, Hank Snow .. etc (you get the picture)

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/16/13 12:23 p.m.

Try these guys if you're interested. Most are outsider country as in Not From Nashville. This means they are awesome and not pop music in a cowboy hat.

Hayes Carll

The Gourds

Hank 3 - might want to avoid his punk stuff

The Avett Brothers - if you're into New Grass as in not traditional bluegrass

Old Crow Medicine Show - see above

Early Drive By Truckers - Pizza Deliverance is a good one.

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

John Prine

The Lumineers

Son Volt

Whiskeytown.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
5/20/13 3:13 p.m.

I have several John Prine albums and like some Hank III, and while I much prefer traditional blue grass OCMS and the Avett Brothers can be/are pretty good

alex
alex UberDork
5/20/13 5:37 p.m.

More shameless self-promotion, since this thread was tailor-made for me to stoop to such levels. We shot a video last month for an event called Lo-Fi Cherokee. On one day, 16 bands set up in 16 venues on Cherokee Street, which is sort of the de facto hub for DIY culture in St. Louis, and a rotating set of crews recorded video and audio while these bands played one of their songs. We set up in a Mexican Western wear shop, which felt like a good fit, and we played a brand new song that we had only just started playing at practice a couple weeks prior.

Here's the result: Trigger 5 doing "Better On The B-Side." Hope you like it. That's me playing guitar and singing this one. Our man Mike strumming the acoustic in the back here, wrote this one specifically for me to sing, and man he just nailed this song. I think it's a hit record about 60 years out of time. Enjoy!

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
5/20/13 8:15 p.m.

Darius Rucker shut out?

Darius Rucker says he wasn’t invited to CMA Fest

I can't think of a good reason why not invite a popular guy, one of the few blacks in country music and a Grand Old Opry member. I can think of some reasons, but the reflect the views of men who wear white sheets and pointed hoods.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
7/23/13 9:12 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: punk.

Hank Williams III.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
7/23/13 11:26 p.m.

Check our Halden Wofford and the Hi-Beams - seriously.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/23/13 11:29 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote:
TRoglodyte wrote: punk.
Hank Williams III.

Grand Ol' Opry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfBAk5E-IJ4

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
7/24/13 12:16 a.m.

Damn. . . had to read the whole thread to make sure. Did I miss it? Not one mention of Shooter Jennings? (maybe he was in one of the youtube links I can't click on) You know, son of Waylon and Jessi?

Hell, he named his daughter Alabama Gypsy Rose, his son Blackjack and has a song called "Put the "O" Back in Country". Was almost the lead singer of Velvet Revolver a couple times.

We have (or had) a good country station in NEPA that was called JR 93.7. They just changed their name to NASH FM. 75% of their playlist was 60's - 70's country with the rest of it being working man country. Haven't listened in a while due to travel.

On a side note, as much as I want to hate it, I do like Brad Pasley's and Keith Urban's guitar playing.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
7/24/13 6:22 a.m.

our local NPR station has just added another "special" (Sat = morning Jazz, 8 hr of bluegrass, and evening blues ... Sun morning is 4 hrs of bluegrass gospel followed by the new show ... old time country .... i.e. 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's country followed by Celtic, then ol-time)

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/24/13 7:55 a.m.

Tim McGraw taught me "Highway" has three syllables. Hi-uh-way!

Duke
Duke PowerDork
7/24/13 8:47 a.m.
logdog wrote: Tim McGraw taught me "Highway" has three syllables. Hi-uh-way!

Meh, that's nothing. James Hetfield taught me that the last word of every sentence ends in "eeyah".

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
12/25/13 8:59 p.m.

This video cracks me up because its so true: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WySgNm8qH-I

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
12/26/13 7:26 a.m.

Sometimes I like it when zombie threads come back to life and I get to read posts I made years ago.

OCMS. Just had to mention them, since I didn't see them listed in this thread yet.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
12/26/13 7:48 a.m.

We get both kinds. Country and Western.

TAParker
TAParker Reader
12/26/13 7:54 a.m.

Country music ain't country no more.......however, things change whether we like it or not. I personally do not care for the majority of "new music" country or otherwise................

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/26/13 7:59 a.m.

This thread makes me lol

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/26/13 8:05 a.m.
T.J. wrote: Sometimes I like it when zombie threads come back to life and I get to read posts I made years ago. OCMS. Just had to mention them, since I didn't see them listed in this thread yet.

OCMS was mentioned at least three times. :)

<--- has fun playing Wagon Wheel with the bluegrass band, even though at this point it is to bluegrass what Stairway is to rock.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
12/26/13 9:30 a.m.
TAParker wrote: Country music ain't country no more.......however, things change whether we like it or not. I personally do not care for the majority of "new music" country or otherwise................

country isn't the same, rock isn't the same, even bluegrass isn't the same … that said … things change

not always for the best (in our humble opinions LOL ) but they change for a reason

doesn't mean that those of us that don't want the change, have to follow along .. that's why there are olde stations

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/28/13 10:01 a.m.
wbjones wrote: even bluegrass isn't the same …

True story. I have a hard time listening to Bill Monroe, but can't get enough of newer stuff like The Infamous Stringdusters or Greensky Bluegrass.

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5EDAx3nu1wLrDkv9n6B7PiUE2FyuDf9zymYDlb3CU5W9Wm1OpGGj2BB4G2PzJgBr