1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/1/20 6:44 p.m.

Checking back in, is the thread gone for good? sad

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
6/2/20 11:54 a.m.

I received some helpful advice on the old Pedalsports thread and wanted to tune back in and say "thanks."  I can't remember who made the recommendation...but i rebuilt my front fork and it rides much better.

I bought a gasket kit, new dust seals, and foam rings (the old foam rings were were 95% deteriorated).  The gaskets looked pretty good but I replaced them  all.  The thing that made me laugh the most was the part of the instructions that said "make sure  you do this over a bucket because oil will leak out everywhere."  There was no oil in the fork.  Zero.  At least the fork tubes looked pretty good.

I probably could have just refilled the thing (+100ml on the damper and 10ml on the spring side, if I remember correctly) and it would have worked a lot better.   I've never taken a bicycle fork apart, so it was pretty interesting and relatively simple. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/2/20 12:23 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
dxman92 said:

It has seemed to pedal off into obscurity. wink

Probably for the best.  It was a poopstorm waiting to happen.  Two opposing factions--one lunatic bunch of head-banging mountain-bikers riding full suspensions and disk brakes, the other sensible, tea-drinking traditionalists riding proper road bikes consisting of little more than a frame, two wheels, and rudimentary rim brakes that might actually stop the bike, but not if they happened to get wet. 

You put two diametrically opposed groups like that in a room together, and they'll be at each others throats inside of five minutes.

I'll have you know that I am a head banging tea drinker and my ride of choice is a proper mountain bike consisting of little more than a frame, two wheels, and cantilever brakes, because if you didn't fail high school trig you can set them up to be way better than anything else.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/2/20 2:45 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I got A's in high school Trig, but college Calculus kicked my butt.

And you sir, are seriously confused, because disk brakes are used on every high-end oxcart manufactured today, in spite of your glorious cantilevers.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
6/2/20 2:49 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Checking back in, is the thread gone for good? sad

no?  I haven't heard an updated ETA.  but, you know, things

and, afaik, we can't merge threads. So, you're free to start afresh here... or wait it out?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/2/20 4:08 p.m.

I'm guessing the old thread is gone now. sad

Still waiting for parts to show up for my green Goose.

Haven't been on either bike in about a week after I had a scary moment. I got back for a ride, and I was out of breath. I have asthma, but I didn't bring my inhaler, because I haven't needed it since I started riding again. Made it back to the house, and in the middle of using it, I collapsed in the kitchen. I got light-headed and went down like a ton of bricks. I am fine, but yeah, I'll be bringing that thing every ride from now on. Once the parts show up to do the shifter/V-Brake conversion, I'll start riding again.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/13/20 8:42 p.m.

Well I'm still pretty bummed by the loss of the old thread, but I've been riding the bike on parks and trails around town fairly regularly, the tubeless tires have been flawless since I re-did the rear. Here you can see my new dollar store seat, which is actually more comfortable than the original one, and my new custom-painted underslung cargo bottle using a NLA Bell Clinch 650 expandable mount:

(That's a tree stump in the grass to the right, not a discarded pistol)

I've actually made some good use of the dropper seatpost. Some custom under-downtube graphics:

And most recently, a super rare Lanji BS05 laser taillight, LIGHTCYCLE ENGAGE PEW PEW PEW!*

*Laser taillight is actually a Class 3R laser, do not look at laser taillight emitter with remaining eye.

There's only one problem, the bottom bracket bearing is eating itself rapidly, I've had to tighten it multiple times and I'll soon run out of threads to tighten it further. Nearby bike shops have a waiting list of 1~3 months for repairs so I'll either have to do it myself, hope it makes it until winter, or get it done by a big chain store.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/13/20 10:20 p.m.

I haven't been back on a bike since about a month ago when I collapsed after a ride. I've been a little gun shy about riding since that happened. I really need to get back on the bike and get over the mental block, and be more careful. 

Still want to get a newer bike as well. Since bikes are STILL sold out forever, that will definitely have to wait. 

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
l1WWjBdeMccCjgGgoikLsh2KQevttXFhMawobuaxL7SOEX6qI44qYhLnW8kIIlnp