Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
6/17/08 5:00 p.m.

I have a MacBook, and the little 80GB hard drive is almost full. I am looking for a large capacity replacement hard drive to put in. Any suggestions? so far, I've found this: Hard Drive

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/17/08 5:01 p.m.

I was going to suggest Seagate. That looks like a good choice. If possible, I'd say get two and run a RAID 0 array.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut New Reader
6/17/08 5:05 p.m.

+1 Seagate. They're the bestest.

Does IBM still make the Deskstars aka Deathstars? If so, avoid those. I've also had problems with Maxtor.

Tommy Suddard
6/17/08 5:11 p.m.

Okay, I think I'll order it. On a related note, any suggestions on ram for this computer?

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/17/08 5:26 p.m.

Corsair

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
6/17/08 5:27 p.m.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651

All the specs for your RAM are at the above URL. Any manufacturer meeting those specs will be fine. There isn't very much difference between memory board manufacturers. Not like a mechanical device such as your hard drive. So look for a good price. Your MacBook accepts only 500 meg or 1GB boards. There are only two slots.

Seagate is a great hard drive, but if money is an issue, try Western Digital or even Maxtor. Due to differences in software between PC and Mac, your MacBook doesn't need the hottest drive on the planet. Actually, they tend to work better with something a little slower. That can save you money.

If you haven't found them yet, there are many grassroot-y Mac upgrade websites. Check 'em out. Don't forget to ground yourself.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/17/08 5:41 p.m.

I use whatever is a cheap USB plug in.

I got a 500GB USB plug in drive for $40 on close out from staples. It was a WD inside, but an elements brand outside.
I suggest www.slickdeals.net to look for cheap stuff. Your dad would be proud.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/17/08 6:40 p.m.

There's nothing special about mac drives. Find a good one for a good price. My sister got a 120 gig drive recently from Microcenter for a good price. And ask JG... he's got some sort of radar for good cheap drives.

However, Macs can be picky about good RAM. i usually go to ramseeker.com to find the best prices on any given day, and it's almost always 18004memory or whatever they call themselves.

You can put in 2gig ram for 4 total, but for most folks that's overkill. They purr along nicely with 2 gigs. They do like lots of RAM, so don't skimp there. It'll be way faster and more stable with more RAM in it.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/17/08 7:04 p.m.

The last few things I've bought I've bought from Other World Computing. They know Macs and they build a lot of their own good stuff as well. And their prices are awesome.

I'd think about getting some portable drives, though.

jg

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/17/08 7:09 p.m.

Yeah, OWC... that's 1800.. same folks. Good stuff.

Lesley
Lesley Dork
6/17/08 10:35 p.m.

I have two LaCie external drives. Great for transporting big files back and forth, they work seamlessly with my G4, ibook, and the Mac Pro at the office. Best of all, I purchased the second one, 80 gig, off ebay for the grand sum of $40.

Tommy Suddard
6/18/08 9:44 a.m.

I just bought a 160GB 2.5" Hitachi Travelstar 5K160 5400RPM SATA Notebook Drive with 8MB Cache from OWC for 69.99. Thanks for the tips.

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer New Reader
6/18/08 10:17 a.m.

Ok this forum is starting to annoy me with the error messages and my post not sticking.

Don't get anything from Maxtor (I know they were bought out by Western Digital - but do you want to trust your years of pictures or videos and documents on something that may or may not work?). I worked at Staples for 5 years and we had so many returns/exchanges with their harddrives we had to start shipping off wooden palates.

I would go with Segate or Western Digital. I purchased a 500gb internal drive for $90 at Circuit City during one of their sales. Awesome price per gigabite.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/18/08 10:35 a.m.

Sorry.. that was me causing the error message you got.

SupraWes
SupraWes HalfDork
6/18/08 4:11 p.m.
CivicSiRacer wrote: Don't get anything from Maxtor (I know they were bought out by Western Digital - but do you want to trust your years of pictures or videos and documents on something that may or may not work?). I worked at Staples for 5 years and we had so many returns/exchanges with their harddrives we had to start shipping off wooden palates.

Maxtor was actually bought by Segate, I prefer Hitachi hard drives these days. I never had any problems with any Maxtor drive I owned, I had 2 WD drives die on me in a row so I swore those off a long time ago. All hard drives fail and they don't give much warning usually so backup, backup, backup!

Duke
Duke Dork
6/18/08 4:28 p.m.

The Macbooks also use the main system RAM for video processing, so considering 4gb (2x2gb) of name brand RAM is around $100, I'd say go for it.

I just ordered that from OWC for my daughter's new MacBook, which came in today. They'll even give me $20 rebate for the RAM I take out of the new machine.

Tommy Suddard
6/18/08 4:42 p.m.

Actually, since I have a 2nd generation MacBook (the first one with a core 2 duo) the maximum supported RAM is 2 gb.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/18/08 7:39 p.m.

Nope, that's what Apple says, but I'm pretty sure it'll take 4 gigs.

Apple's done that for years. Way back in the day I had my 6100 (max 32 gigs, according to the manual) up to 128, as I recall.

Tommy Suddard
6/18/08 9:42 p.m.

Cool, thanks for the tip. Is there any way to make sure of this?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/18/08 9:49 p.m.

Looks like 3.3 is the max it will actually see: http://forums.dealmac.com/read.php?4,2709202,2709202

So I'd give up matched and do a 2 and a 1.

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer New Reader
6/19/08 10:53 a.m.
SupraWes wrote: Maxtor was actually bought by Segate, I prefer Hitachi hard drives these days. I never had any problems with any Maxtor drive I owned, I had 2 WD drives die on me in a row so I swore those off a long time ago. All hard drives fail and they don't give much warning usually so backup, backup, backup!

That is strange. I've owned everything WD for about 15 years and just recently purchased a Seagate (on sale).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CSnbxnFunDwVE1EJ17Wc01qGr6Csa3weEjy9Y4bBPB7Qu4UP6ZUzGkfWNFMnksyV